Wood chopping tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That’s awesome. A friend of mine’s dad said a neighbor friend needed some trees cut down next to his house. When I asked if he would need everything bucked up he replied no, he’s only 78

Reactions: jpm995
Yes i find the constant bending over is worse than swinging the maul. I'll try to find a pickeroon on my next shopping trip.

This is where the rachet strap/bungee cord/old tire really help out. You can put a big round on the chopping block put the bungee cord around it and just make all your swings without bending over to pick up pieces. Then take off the bungee and toss a big bunch of splits into the wheelbarrow or stack them if you're splitting next to your wood pile.

Several years ago, I had an old splitter, just a basic model, no auto return, no 4 way wedge. When I split by hand with my Gransfors axe and a bungee cord, I know I am faster than that old splitter.

Reactions: caseywheels
Until you split the bungee! Lol. Had that happen recently...I rarely miss with my Fiskars but this time I totally whiffed and sliced it right in half. Whoops. I like the tire method best. I have a few sizes to choose from.

Reactions: Solarguy3500
Until you split the bungee! Lol. Had that happen recently...I rarely miss with my Fiskars but this time I totally whiffed and sliced it right in half. Whoops. I like the tire method best. I have a few sizes to choose from.

Haha yeah, I've done it several times.

I got some long rubber bungees at TSC that have holes along the length of the bungee, so when I chop it, I just put the hook in a different hole and keep going. I can also piece one together with the short pieces I've made from chopping it because you get several hooks in the pack with the bungees.

Before I bought the bungees, I was using an old rachet strap that I had taken out of circulation for any tie down uses as it was starting to fray. I chopped that strap a bunch of times, and each time I just tied it back together and kept going.

Yes i find the constant bending over is worse than swinging the maul. I'll try to find a pickeroon on my next shopping trip.
I love swinging the maul, it's the bending over it just drives me crazy. swing bend, swing bend, swing bend, it's ridiculous.

You guys need to invest in one of these. You can get it right from the manufacturer website...they are located in CT. I have the 30" and absolutely love it! I wanted a 36" but its on backorder. They have lots of 30s and honestly it's plenty long enough and I'm 6'2:

logrite-HR024__59413.1495554241.1280.1280.jpg

I recently had a cheap budget model and it broke within 2 weeks of use. I recommend just going high quality out of the gate. This will run you about $70 with shipping.

QUOTE="Caw, post: 2493160, member: 69456"]
You guys need to invest in one of these. You can get it right from the manufacturer website...they are located in CT. I have the 30" and absolutely love it! I wanted a 36" but its on backorder. They have lots of 30s and honestly it's plenty long enough and I'm 6'2:

(New guy here. Think I missed the way for a partial quote)

I like it, maybe even better if it had a handle like a regular pickaroon.. I use a pulp hook for moving wood off the ground or often flipping it from a stack to the wheelbarrow, Works OK, , better when the wood isn’t frozen.
After reading of the gent who waited till 80 to buy a splitter I see I’m a real slacker. I’m not halfway between 70 and 80 and I’ve gone to buying almost all my wood split and delivered. Even the home built electric splitter Is only used for an occasional tree cut here or to resize some splits.

Last edited: