Wood fireplace replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PSchilMN

Jan 13, 2022
Minnesota
I have a house built in 1987 that has a masonry fireplace (Kozy Heat 236 I believe). The previous owner took the doors off and put a gas insert in. But I want to get back to burning wood.
Anyways, am I able to put in a wood insert in this space without demolition of the Kozy heat? I would like to go with a Regency wood insert, but when I have reached out to 2 local companies they seem unsure, or that I should demo bricks and remove the Kozy Heat unit and go with a new high-efficiency wood fireplace. The clay flue on top of chimney is big enough to put in a new insulated liner (13" x 18").
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Paul

PXL_20211221_192707723.jpg

Your fireplace is like a Heatilator, with doors prefab surrounded with full masonry if built right. If you had the doors maybe convert it back and try it? I would reach out to regency and see what they say or maybe call Kozy heat.