wood for winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think you will recoup all of that 500 or 600 bucks with your current wood supply. Plus your living space will be probably warmer than if you were using your other heating source.
About wood types and having as much wood possible fur this winter, I am not sure what wood species you gave in your area of of Canada. Others can chime in a disagree if felt needed, but some wood species could be useful to if you can get them within next month and split small (like no mire than 3 width at cross section). I believe you could do this with red maple, which is a very common tree in se ne. Now that it is spring, the red maples have burgundy colored buds. After being split and stacked the wood can often take on a pinkish color. If you gave eastern white pine in your area that may be an option as well. Definitely top cover the pine. Caveat to splitting small- you will get hotter burns so you may havd to turn air down sooner .

Reactions: beermann
Also if burning wood that is not fully dry, check chimney frequently for buildup

Reactions: beermann
I think you will recoup all of that 500 or 600 bucks with your current wood supply. Plus your living space will be probably warmer than if you were using your other heating source.
About wood types and having as much wood possible fur this winter, I am not sure what wood species you gave in your area of of Canada. Others can chime in a disagree if felt needed, but some wood species could be useful to if you can get them within next month and split small (like no mire than 3 width at cross section). I believe you could do this with red maple, which is a very common tree in se ne. Now that it is spring, the red maples have burgundy colored buds. After being split and stacked the wood can often take on a pinkish color. If you gave eastern white pine in your area that may be an option as well. Definitely top cover the pine. Caveat to splitting small- you will get hotter burns so you may havd to turn air down sooner .

The wood in my pictures is currently maple. Not sure of what species. On Monday ill be looking and some fallen trees. A 30' fir/spruce and two more 10' trunks. Not sure how good fir/spruce is but it's free.

First photo is my newest pile. A mix of maple and ash. Second photo has my large splits on the left and a re-stack re-chop on the right. Taking everyone's advice and making smaller splits for better seasoning so I can burn this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_20170428_123025.jpg
    IMG_20170428_123025.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20170428_123041.jpg
    IMG_20170428_123041.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 85
Looks good

I think you will have good heat. You may have to keep the primary air on the stove open a little bit more and perhaps nay get a bit more soot in the flue but I would feel okay with this drying timeframe for maple. Either way, check after a few weeks if so of burning

Also, feel free to post your" creosote pics" after few weeks or so and get input on how you are making out.

Btw, what stove do you have?

Btw, what stove do you have?

Regency i1200 stove insert. i have to finish the install and meet clearances but before I do that I am going to get plenty of firewood.

I have approximately 1200-1400q feet to heat during the day and a few hours into the night. The living room/dining room combo is about 700sq feet and three 100sq feet rooms down the hall. Add in a small bathroom and a 130ish Sq foot kitchen.

The blower sends air clear across the living room where it meets the front entrance of the house and the hallway (L shaped entrance way to hallway) 2 rooms on one side and a third room on the left. Bathroom is directly at the end of the hall.

Other than figuring out how to get warm air down the hall I think I'll be okay. This winter I will entertain the idea of using the blower to push air to the entrance and to get past the "L shape" ill use a silent fan to continue the air movement down the hall. At night when doors are closed we will use the central heating system to keep us comfertable. I work nights so when I get home I will start the fireplace up first thing.

We have a half finished basement with a gas fireplace, this will be turned on periodically as needed by the tenant and they will keep all the doors open while it's on. Ideally it will keep the basement from freezing (seems to make sense). I'll also be playing with the idea of using the central fan during the day to warm the basement, seen mixed reviews. Looks to be more of a situational cercumstance wheather it will work or not.

Let me know if your experience (or anyone else's) in wood heating has any suggestions.

I'm looking for confirmation that it'll work along with improvements I can make.

Attachments

• IMG_20170429_084809.jpg
    IMG_20170429_084809.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited: