Wood haul from thorns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
Last spring I spent a couple of days cutting wood left behind by a logger. Unfortunately, I spent what seemed like an equal amount of time cutting brush and thorns trying to find a way to get a skid loader in to haul it out. I found that the road left by the logger was too steep. I also had problems with mud during the spring and summer. By fall, the area that was mostly clear during the spring was covered with thorns. : (

This week, with the ground frozen, I was able to find access through a flat area of a field that I had not seen before. I used a skid loader to break a path and get some revenge on the thorn bushes. I hauled out what will probably make two or three dump truck loads.

If I knew how much trouble getting this wood out of the woods would have been last spring, I would have left it lay. I enjoyed the time spent cutting and hauling the wood but not the time cutting thorns. Now I know to have a sure exit plan before I start cutting.

20201230_132448.jpg 20201230_132456.jpg 20201230_125956.jpg