Wood ID - 2 types I think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the piece you split is Black Walnut, but one that grew fast leaving a wide white sapwood ring around the narrow dark hearthwood. most of the Black Walnut I have cut has more dark and less white, but the same general look and same bark as yours. I still say the stuff in the pic on the right looks like Norway Maple. Norway Maple grown as a shade tends to be very full of knots, crotches, Ys, and other tough pieces. I have picked up loads that were almost all tough pieces and only a few easy ones.

awfireman said:
Eastern Cottonwood for sure. Actually cut 1.5 cords out of the overgrown field in my Folks back yard not 3 weeks ago.

Just when things were calming down here....

Sorry, but I see Black Walnut, without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.