Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Just when I thought I was getting good at this...
This is real close to me along a very quiet road. What is it?
0303101031a.jpg

0303101031.jpg

Thanks

Bark in the top pic looks like white oak. although if those skinny things are limbs from the same tree, then its probably red maple, as small maple limbs are usually smooth, but a large red maple trunk can be quite shaggy/flaky.

Flatbedford said:
Just when I thought I was getting good at this...
This is real close to me along a very quiet road. What is it?
0303101031a.jpg

0303101031.jpg

Thanks

silver maple

good call. could also be silver maple - real shaggy bark.

How do we all feel about Silver or Red Maple? Easy hand split? I guess I'm becoming somewhat of a wood snob, now that I have access to so much easy splitting Red Oak and Ash from my new tree guy ffriend. But the truth is that I don't really have to kill myself on hard to process stuff anymore and don't want to either.

Flatbedford said:
How do we all feel about Silver or Red Maple? Easy hand split? I guess I'm becoming somewhat of a wood snob, now that I have access to so much easy splitting Red Oak and Ash from my new tree guy ffriend. But the truth is that I don't really have to kill myself on hard to process stuff anymore and don't want to either.

20 million btu per cord season quick snf easy to work with..

Pinkish-red center with a yellow rim around the edges looks like Cherry to me-does it have a nice sweet smell to it? Split some up and post a picture of the grain...

I have dealt with tons of Cherry and this is not Cherry. The bark is too shaggy for Cherry... I think.

Here's some Cherry is scored back in August.
fredrick3.jpg

This looks different to me.

methinks the silver maple guess is the right one!

I guess if I had 15 cord or more split and stacked right now I'd maybe pass on it....

NAW!!!! I'd be havin' at it for sure!!

A friend had a huge silver maple cut out of his yard last year and he gave all the wood to me - must have been a cord easy.

I've been burning it this year and I like it. dries pretty quick and burns hot. I would never pass on maple.

If it is till there on my next day off, I'll go get it. Looks like I could fill the old flatbed and then some.

Well, all of the Silver Maple that I've ever had here in PA. has a whitish-blond cut side, not reddish like in the picture. I still think it's Cherry, or some other fruitwood because the way that cut end looks-reddish end with a yellow outer ring. Please let us know what it is if you get it....

Looks like fruitwood or hemlock on top of at least one other maple tree.

billb3 said:
Looks like fruitwood or hemlock on top of at least one other maple tree.

Right. Flatbed, this should be an easy ID...go back to the wood, stick your face up against that big 'ol cut side and sniff-it's either gonna smell like Cherry or Pine, I'd bet.

The more I look at it, the more I think that tree in the pic is White Oak. The bark really looks like white oak, more than maple to me. Those little limbs are probably something else that got knocked down when it fell.

I think the lighting of the picture is making the wood look a little darker than it really is.

Looks like you should be able to find a twig - post a pic of a twig showing the buds. Cheers!

I do not think it is silver maple also, all the silver maple I have cut has been white when cut.

FLINT said:
The more I look at it, the more I think that tree in the pic is White Oak. The bark really looks like white oak, more than maple to me. Those little limbs are probably something else that got knocked down when it fell.

I think the lighting of the picture is making the wood look a little darker than it really is.

Good points. Okay Flatbed, it'll either smell like Cherry, Pine OR Oak!!

NH_Wood said:
Looks like you should be able to find a twig - post a pic of a twig showing the buds. Cheers!

excellent suggestion - however, if you do, try to get one as close and clear as possible.

I did put my nose to it. Not pine, I am it is a deciduous tree of some kind. Actually had no strong smell. Didn't have ti cat piss smell of Red Oak either.
I did some googling of scaly barked trees. I think it is a Water Hickory.
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/cail.html
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/caaq4404.jpg
The only problem is that it shouldn't be this far north, but it is in a valley, not far from a stream that spills into the Hudson River. I'll have to go back on Sunday and have a better look, if its not already on somebody else's wood pile by then. I'll use a real camera, not the lousy cell phone.

Flatbedford said:
I did put my nose to it. Not pine, I am it is a deciduous tree of some kind. Actually had no strong smell. Didn't have ti cat piss smell of Red Oak either.
I did some googling of scaly barked trees. I think it is a Water Hickory.
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/cail.html
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/caaq4404.jpg
The only problem is that it shouldn't be this far north, but it is in a valley, not far from a stream that spills into the Hudson River. I'll have to go back on Sunday and have a better look, if its not already on somebody else's wood pile by then. I'll use a real camera, not the lousy cell phone.

I can tell you for sure that it is NOT a pecan, or a water hickory - neither would be growing anywhere near where you are.

What ever it is, the bark looks like that. I'll have to get a second look at it and take some better pics. I could also just go there, cut it up, throw it on the truck, take it home, split it, stack it and burn it in a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.