Wood ID.. Locust and Cherry.?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Nov 17, 2013
Southwest, Ohio
image.jpg image.jpg Cut a truck load last weekend. Wanted to make sure I was on the right track with my ID's. Thinking Black Locust and Black cherry...Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: fireview2788
Agree. Nice score. Lot that BL and love the smell of cherry when splitting then burning.

Reactions: Tyler
Ding, ding , ding!

You don't see a lot of rotted Locust. I had a Honey Locust like that. It was hollow in one of the major branches. Most of it is pretty solid though.

When it's finally seasoned mix them together. Although locust seems to take another year or two to really season. Nice rounds though.

Reactions: Tyler
You don't see a lot of rotted Locust. I had a Honey Locust like that. It was hollow in one of the major branches. Most of it is pretty solid though.

Yeah this was pretty solid except for a few pieces. Most of the locust around here doesn't get very big before it seems to die off.

Status
Not open for further replies.