Wood id needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Scrounged some wood from a neighbors tree this weekend and I'm not sure what it is. Here is what I know:

1. Very white wood with a 1/4" dark center on limbs (he has not taken the main trunk down yet)

2. There were silver maple leafs around the tree but there are many other trees in the area as well

3. When he cut the limbs it was like someone turned on a hose...water was just running out the cut surface

4. Twisted grain but it splits like a dream. Wood just explodes with one hit.

Here are some pics, I attached a pic of a big leaf maple that I scrounged from his yard as well as reference. (just so you know, big leaf maple is heavy and a B&&&ch; to split)

Here is the bark
24zbxpj.jpg

Here is the wood

13zqtcg.jpg

the top split looks alot like silver maple....bark is too smooth for hard maple....

Totally looks like no wood we see here in the NE, if that helps refine your search. Pretty exotic.

Silver maple.

fv

Doesn't look like any silver maple I've ever seen.That bottom pic looks like box elder..

I was thinking silver maple from the amount of silver maple leaves that were around the tree. The bottom is definately big maple. It still had buds and leaves when I scrounged it.

That is branch wood from a silver maple that was located with good Southern exposure but protected from high winds. Or at least that is my guess.

I would say sliver, do you have a better bark pick? (That one may just be beat to death)

The bark doesn't look like most silver maple, but the inner wood sure does.

aansorge said:

Bark on the younger parts, such as branches, will often look like that in my part of the world. The trunks will be more heavily furrowed with some curling of the bark edges.

Jags said:
aansorge said:

Bark on the younger parts, such as branches, will often look like that in my part of the world. The trunks will be more heavily furrowed with some curling of the bark edges.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.