Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Vermont Castings Geek
Dec 5, 2007
Old Lyme CT
A neighbor had this tree fall along side his driveway and asked me if I wanted it. Well yea, cut it up and brought it back. Any ideas on what it is?
100_7304.JPG

Attachments

• 100_7300.JPG
    100_7300.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_7302.JPG
    100_7302.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Hard to tell from the pic's the 1st actually looks like a vine wrapped around the tree . The second pic looks like maybe hickory or maple from the bark .. hard for me to tell .

the leaf definitely looks hickory or walnut-esque... bark says no to shagbark, or bitternut.. bark pattern suggests cottonwood... but the leaves are all wrong.... in short... I dunno

The rond under the leaf looks punky was this tree dead. . Picture with leaf ,to me is a vine wrapped around the tree

The pile of unsplit large rounds is........HICKORY.

Reactions: JOHN BOY
The rond under the leaf looks punky was this tree dead. . Picture with leaf ,to me is a vine wrapped around the tree
That round was from a dead tree on the ground. Those leaves are attached to the tree, no vine. Leaves have a pungent smell to them. The wood I am trying to ID was uprooted and laying on it's side by Sandy. Was still partially alive.

The bark in the photo, the area below the leaf, surely looks like ash, with its diamond interlock pattern....

I don't see that at all and we've burned tons of ash.

Reactions: nrford
That round was from a dead tree on the ground. Those leaves are attached to the tree, no vine. Leaves have a pungent smell to them. The wood I am trying to ID was uprooted and laying on it's side by Sandy. Was still partially alive.

I say then that it's hickory

Status
Not open for further replies.