Wood ID please.!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Nov 17, 2013
Southwest, Ohio
On first pic I believe top is black locust. And on first pic on the bottom green ash? Pleas let me know if I'm right or wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 192
2nd pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 181
I think the bark on the second wood is too deeply fissured to be Green Ash. My trees are loaded with the seeds. That's the most definable way to tell Green from white Ash. What makes you think its Green? Can you find any seeds? Not much difference btu wise.

Yes on the locust.

Reactions: TreePointer
Got any close ups of the splits

Bark doesn't look right for BL; Mulberry maybe? Second pic kinda looks like White but like HDRock says, we need closeups of bark, split grain and end grain...and leaves are helpful if you've got 'em.

Reactions: HDRock
Bark doesn't look right for BL; Mulberry maybe? Second pic kinda looks like White but like HDRock says, we need closeups of bark, split grain and end grain...and leaves are helpful if you've got 'em.
Do you not agree ?
Proper pics for proper ID ?
OOPS, sorry Miss read your post

Last edited:
Ok I'll get some closer pictures of the bark and grain. From the guy who delivered it was told it was green ash. It has the color of ash but seems a taste stringy and not really a straight grain like white ash.

Not much difference btu wise.
Charts I see say Green is about like soft Maple, White is close to Red Oak.. That's an appreciable difference. I've only burned White, so I can't say from first-hand experience...

The biggest difference is that Green Ash is heavier, stringy to split and takes 18+ months to dry. My trees, in NY. I don't burn that much of it. Out in the middle states Ash trees get really big, where the species are more dominant or more established, perhaps? What I see posted here in Hearth.
I do have a couple of green Ash trees that have rough bark ( I've read the bark is variable)
What is that saying? "Your mileage may vary?"

Reactions: Tyler
The first picture is Black Locust. I don't know what the second wood is.

To the OP, I think you're right on both counts. I did a whole lot of both of those this year.

Applesister, I think green vs white ash may flip their preferences and appearance based on soil conditions. From what I've read, your description is exactly correct. But in my woods, it's the opposite - white ash dominate the low spots. I've only seen a handful of green, but the bark was very thick and furrowed. My soil is generally very sandy, with more organics in the low spots.

This is one type. More pics to follow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 130
2nd type that I Believe is Ash.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 133
3rd type. Black locust?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 123
Charts I see say Green is about like soft Maple, White is close to Red Oak.. That's an appreciable difference. I've only burned White, so I can't say from first-hand experience...

That was my thought as well. I've only burnt white ash.

That was my thought as well. I've only burnt white ash.
I'm thinking the stuff in post #14 may be Green; Haven't seen that dark of heartwood on too many Whites here. I would think that once it's dry, the heft of the splits might tell the tale. Post #17, BL for sure.

Not very good ID'ing pics for the "2nd type", though the third pic is definitely an anthill - haha. The first batch of ash looks identical to the stuff I did this year. I arrived at my "green" call by process of elimination. Knew it was ash, but I knew it wasn't white. The bark matched closest to the description for green.

Status
Not open for further replies.