wood id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
I got some wood last night. not really sure what I got. I'll attach a few photos. I know the cherry but that's about it. thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 297
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 257
Black walnut in there too? Maybe oak on top

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking. Maybe split and post a pic of that and the stuff on top

I think you have Black birch instead of what you think is Black cherry(its called Cherry birch), I dont see any Cherry.
Maybe Black Ash too and theres another wood with chunky sort of bark, a few rounds in there, IDK what that is.
They all look like nice clean hardwoods.

I split a few open. The first one popped opened really easy. Second one I think is the black walnut and the third one I'm not sure. I thought it was oak.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 165
I'm voting Tulip Poplar, Black Walnut, and what looks to be Ash...

Poplar (dogwood maybe), Elm and Ash?

That purply chocolate color is a walnut thing, but that much white sapwood seems off. But its definitely not Ash. I'll join the walnut consensus.
What about the Birch pieces?
Poplar on the easy split stuff.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I think you have Black birch instead of what you think is Black cherry(its called Cherry birch), I dont see any Cherry.
Maybe Black Ash too and theres another wood with chunky sort of bark, a few rounds in there, IDK what that is.
They all look like nice clean hardwoods.

I was thinking the same thing with the birch

I was thinking the same thing with the black walnut, a lot of sapwood but the bark and heartwood look like what I have

I split a few open. The first one popped opened really easy. Second one I think is the black walnut and the third one I'm not sure. I thought it was oak.

Heres my three cents

poplar
locust
ash

bob

Poplar,
Walnut and Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.