Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hma

Mar 17, 2012
Ohio
Anyone know what type of wood this is ?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG1236small.jpg
    IMAG1236small.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMAG1237small.jpg
    IMAG1237small.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 201
Looks like Red Elm to me, wish there was a better pic of bark though

The barks not right for Black walnut. But need some better pics for a clearier identification.

red oak

The combination of dark heartwood and elmy-looking bark makes me think it must be Red Elm. The dark heartwood remonds me of Black Walnut, but the bark isn't right for BLlack Walnut.

Reactions: LEES WOOD-CO
Bark looks a little like Elm but the split does not look stringy enough for that.

Cedar ?????

Bark looks a little like Elm but the split does not look stringy enough for that.
That's what I thought. Red isn't as stringy as American Elm, but those splits look clean as a whistle.

just want o make sure i'm not wasting my time. Already have 2 8ft truckload beds worth of large rounds aand probably another 3 loads of very large rounds yet to get.

Difficult to split? I have something very similar but much more stringy and I think it is siberian elm...i hate the stuff

not sure on difficulty as i have a splitter, but tends to split cleanly.

Definitely not what I have then...stuff is extremely stringy and hard to split by hand...looks like it though...when was this taken down? stuff i have has been down for well over a year and will be great for late next season

not sure on difficulty as i have a splitter, but tends to split cleanly.

hma,

If you'll put your location under your avatar, we'll have an idea of what part of the country you're in. That can help narrow the various wood species.

+1

Bark and wood looks like catalpa I cut here.
If so, what I'm seeing is mediocre BTU ratings...about 16 M BTU/cord. If you have a lot of room to stack wood, you could go ahead and grab it for starter or shoulder season wood. Hard to go overnight on that if you have a smaller firebox. It'll probably dry fast, if you'll be burning it next Winter. The two loads you've already got is probably 2/3 cord at least.

+2. That's definitely catalpa. I've cut lots of it, and I won't allow it in my woodpile. I give it away to the OWB guys. Takes up lotsa space in the pile and doesn't give a whole lot of heat for the effort. Smells like perfume when you burn it IMHO...

White ash guaranteed.
Even though it's nearly black? If it was Walnut, there would be walnuts all over the ground and the bark isn't right. Elm would smell funny and would be very stringy. Catalpa, on the other hand, would look just like what you have!

Status
Not open for further replies.