Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagelboy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2013
Catskills, N.Y.
image.jpg image.jpg I have a woman who has offered to give me for free about 2 cords of this. I'm farmiliar with hardwoods, but this seems light to handle and smells when split. Is it Spruce?

But this is almost yellow all the way through. I thought Sassafras has a darker center?

If you are near the Hudson it could be eastern cottonwood but it looks to me like a giant giant big toothed aspen.
I have a cousin that has a camp on Lake Champlain up by the canadian border and he ties his boat dock to the base of two monster cottonwoods.

Looks like Sassafras to me. (I love the smell).

Sassafras, the yellow color, the orange under the bark. I've split some that didn't have the black center

I'd take that sassafras for sure. I enjoy it. It smells great, splits easy, and dries quick.

I don't think that is Sass, the grain is too white...all the Sass I've ever had is more yellow grain inside and smoother....but I could be wrong....

Nothing like the sassafras I've worked with.

Cottonwood. 100% for sure.

Just dropped off a piece to a friend of mine who is a wood guru. I mean this guy is an encyclopedia. He wasn't home, but I left a piece. I'll keep you posted.......

If it is cottonwood or sassafras, are they good burning wood, or am I wasting time?

If its Sass, you'll smell it quite easily. Very nice aroma.
Either way, wood is wood, burn it.
Both those you question are not on the higher scale of BTUs, fairly quick burning.
Burn it.

I have cut a fair amount of cottonwood. If its still pretty damp it smells bad, kinda like manure of some sort. Sassafras will smell very nice, kind of a spicy sweet smell.

Bark, light weight, light color, tiny strings all scream cottonwood.

He thinks it's Cottonwood or Catalpa. I'm not familiar with either. Both are softwoods, and burn hot and fast!

You said it smells. What does it smell like? Neither cottonwood or Catulpa smell pleasant. And for the record, there is no way it's Catulpa. Not a chance.

Cottonwood. Hardly worth a cent IMHO, but if it's free and you don't have to expend much effort to get it....

Keep it covered or a stiff wind might blow it away and plan on burning it in shoulder season, it sure won't keep ya warm in the winter unless you can shovel in an armload every 30 minutes.

Cottonwood. Hardly worth a cent IMHO, but if it's free and you don't have to expend much effort to get it....

Keep it covered or a stiff wind might blow it away and plan on burning it in shoulder season, it sure won't keep ya warm in the winter unless you can shovel in an armload every 30 minutes.
Or if you have a Blaze King, sit back and enjoy 12-16 hour burns with it!
I burn a lots of the soft stuff with great results!

Status
Not open for further replies.