Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MPM5

Mar 2, 2019
IL
Took a pick-up load of this to fill-up my rack last winter. Still new to this and originally thought it wouldn't be great btu's as the sapwood is pretty soft (for lack of a better word), but I was just sorting through some wood and now think it might be hickory? Only really experienced with shagbark, which it definitely is not.

Very large trunk still available, if it's any good. Thanks in advance.

image1 (1).jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg

I think your right on the Hickory of some sort. Hickory especially the sapwood will punk out within a few years with the bark left on it. Much experience with that. Even with it cut up in sections. So this all makes sense.

Not a great ID'er am I, but I did see some elm that looked a lot like this a few years ago.

"Red Elm has a red-brown heartwood with light brown to grayish-white sapwood. This ring porous hardwood has a very conspicuous and strong grain pattern. "

I could see this being oak. The end grain appears to have medullary rays (a sign of oak), and I've definitely seen the sapwood on oak get punky like that. The bark leads me to think this is some punky white oak.

What does it smell like?

It looks like hickory.

I can smell the hickory from here!

Thanks everyone.

I don't think it's oak. It's actually stacked right on top of some white oak and the bark is very similar, but i'm pretty sure different wood. My dad id'd it as a "down oak tree" originally too, but I think it's hickory. Splits too easy for oak too.

In my experience, which is extensive, oak is pretty easy to split, and hickory is almost impossible. And I have some serious mauls and splitting wedges.

I could be wrong but I don't think it is Oak or Hickory, I have never seen any of them that had reddish-orange tint on the inside of the bark. I don't know exactly what it is but it is nice looking wood!

What kind of hickory are we thinking this is? Bitternut?

Mongrolian Butternut Orange Ash, I guarantee it. Very scarce wood.

Reactions: johneh
Mongrolian Butternut Orange Ash, I guarantee it. Very scarce wood.
Got lots of it but does not grow worth a dam here to hot in the summer
and not cold enough in the winter but burns good take 5 years to dry
and an SOB to split