* Wood ID *

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_d_gard

Nov 9, 2009
Maryland - USA
www.cff.org
Hey Folks,

I have about a dozen logs (read 2' diameter by 30' long) of the wood as pictured below. Could someone please help me ID this stuff.

Thanks

Ray

Attachments

• SDC10171.jpg
    SDC10171.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 709
  • SDC10172.jpg
    SDC10172.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 720
  • SDC10173.jpg
    SDC10173.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 672
Man, every other id is ash.

That ain't Ash, you got a whole bunch of Tulip(Poplar) there. It is pretty heavy when it's green, after about 4 months it will weigh about half of what Ash does

I gotta agree. Looks more like Tulip (yellow) Poplar to me.

Ash? Look at that staining and total lack of hard grain lines. Bark looks right, but it ain't the bark yer lookin' fer.

Several years ago I was short on wood and even shorter on time. Two of my mother's church friends were short on cash. They told me they would sell me all the nice white ash I wanted at $50/pickup load. I was all excited when the first and last load pulled into the driveway...

... heaped chock full of poplar.

As a side note, it amazes me the difference in the bark of a young tree compared to an old one.

I wouldn't bet the farm on ash. It could be poplar. Or its rotten ash. Send me a few pieces, I'll know if I hold it!

Tough one.

Bark looks a little tighter than tulip poplar usually is, but the wood grain definitely looks more like poplar than ash.

If I had to pick one I'd say poplar.

look how the chain or rakers marks was digging into the 3rd pic. tulip so soft there would be no raker marks..thats hard wood and in this case ash!

that be ash

Bark looks like ash, the wood not so much. The grain looks more like a softer wood, similar to poplar. Press your finger nail in the end, ash won't leave a mark, poplar will. Post a close up of the growth rings if you can.

Leaning heavily towards Tulip Poplar (Yellow Poplar). About as certain as I've ever been in one of these wood ID threads. Consider the area, Maryland. We have tons of this type of Poplar in this region. Note the 'stain like' coloration of the wood.

I have seen Poplar show saw marks just like harder hardwoods. I gotta go with Poplar here. Per the previous suggestion, do a hardness test. Poplar is pretty soft wood, especially if still green when cut.

Webby3650 is right, it will be heavy wet, surprisingly light after seasoning. Oh, and unlike Ash, it will burn to a soft, fluffy, light colored ash- nearly pure white.

thats not ash ,the deep interweaved bar pattern is not even that much like ash ,ash is generally tan/brownish in color not dark gray ..ash is somewhat stringy too and judging by the loose grain its a dead giveaway ..its a species of poplar

You bet your ash it is. Bark is too thick for twolips. I gots me about 2 cords split and stacked and another two on the ground to be bucked and split that look just like that. And I KNOW that what I have is ash. Complete live tree ID.

Ash is very often confused with mature Poplar here are a few pics from my stack. One is Poplar one is Ash.

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 239
  • ash2.jpg
    ash2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 222
webby3650 said:
Ash is very often confused with mature Poplar here are a few pics from my stack. One is Poplar one is Ash.

in Webbys picture on the left where the splits are oriented vertically:

the one on the left is poplar

the one on the right is ash

correct?

Thick soft bark = poplar. Ash has thinner bark. Original post looks like poplar to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.