Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Need an ID for this please...local to my job but will have to bring a truck down to get it...not the best pics but its off of CL

Attachments

• 5Lc5Ee5Z33E63I33N7c592ed9ab69e9551d91.jpg
    5Lc5Ee5Z33E63I33N7c592ed9ab69e9551d91.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 169
Sorry, but that pic doesn't give me much of a shot at it. It appears that some of the surrounding trees are maples and oaks, so it could be one of those varieties.

Need better pics.

Sorry, but that pic doesn't give me much of a shot at it. It appears that some of the surrounding trees are maples and oaks, so it could be one of those varieties.

Need better pics.

Not going to happen it is a CL scrounge. Might just go pick some up and add it to the pile...won't be used for at least 2 years anyway.

I think it is either Black Walnut, or more likely Mulberry. I see a dark, ridged bark, thick whitish sapwood, and an orange heartwood. That sounds like Mulberrry. If the heartwood is more like brown than orange (hard to tell in the pics) mabe Black Walnut. Either way it is worth getting. It does not apear to be ailanthus, willow, or poplar, which are about the only woods I would say are not worth getting.

I think it is either Black Walnut, or more likely Mulberry. I see a dark, ridged bark, thick whitish sapwood, and an orange heartwood. That sounds like Mulberrry. If the heartwood is more like brown than orange (hard to tell in the pics) mabe Black Walnut. Either way it is worth getting. It does not apear to be ailanthus, willow, or poplar, which are about the only woods I would say are not worth getting.

Poplar is very prominent in that area and the heartwood makes me think poplar!

Looks like Elm. I'm exactly 15% sure based on that pic. ;hm

looks like easy pickins.

Looks like hardwood, already on the ground, and pretty easy to get to.

If you don't get it some one will.
It's free BTUs, no liming, a good location
Worst: it's cottonwood, a good shoulder season wood.
Best: it's maple & you get it all & can brag about it :)

What would you be doing if you don't go get it?

Not certain but it looks similar to firewood.

Reactions: NSDave
Some days we can be a pretty tough crowd . LOL :)
All in fun & good intent though. ;)

Well what kind of wood was/is it ?
We couldn't tell by the pictures but we knew it would make fire wood.
You did go get it, Right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.