Wood insert problem or wife problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not true at all both can be ready in a year in the right situation. I with you the wood probably isnt dry. But it is certainly possible.
I agree to disagree. I have some sweet 6 yr old Oak splits I just loaded on the back porch. I know it will burn very well.

I agree to disagree. I have some sweet 6 yr old Oak splits I just loaded on the back porch. I know it will burn very well.
Ok so you cant do it in a year. That does not mean it cant be done.

*Trots In *

You need a new wife.

*Trots out*

Ok so you cant do it in a year. That does not mean it cant be done.
Sure if you split a bunch of thin splits, or dry it in a kiln.
I been burning mostly oak since I started burning, and know exactly how long it takes for wood split, stacked and to dry for optimal burn here. I've tried at 6 months, 1 yr, 1-1/2 yrs, 2 years 2-1/2 yrd & 3+ yrs. I know what works for me. There is a reason my cleaning photos always show very little sweepings, type of sweepings, and no clogged cap screen even after 2 years without a sweeping. Bottom line, stay 3+ years ahead and there is never an issue whether the wood is dry enough or not. Feel free to post a poll and see what the majority think. Burn as you wish, as I will to.

I'll be out your way tomorrow bholler, to look at a wrecked trailer. Somewhere in Lock Haven

Sure if you split a bunch of thin splits, or dry it in a kiln.
I been burning mostly oak since I started burning, and know exactly how long it takes for wood split, stacked and to dry for optimal burn here. I've tried at 6 months, 1 yr, 1-1/2 yrs, 2 years 2-1/2 yrd & 3+ yrs. I know what works for me. There is a reason my cleaning photos always show very little sweepings, type of sweepings, and no clogged cap screen even after 2 years without a sweeping. Bottom line, stay 3+ years ahead and there is never an issue whether the wood is dry enough or not. Feel free to post a poll and see what the majority think. Burn as you wish, as I will to.
Yes i split pretty small. But i dont dry in a kiln and i get oak below 20% in a year. No need for a poll i know what works for me. If it doesnt work well for you thats fine. But dont claim its impossible.

Yes i split pretty small. But i dont dry in a kiln and i get oak below 20% in a year. No need for a poll i know what works for me. If it doesnt work well for you thats fine. But dont claim its impossible.
It is impossible in this part of the country unless you split small. 7-8" splits+ ain't drying in a year. Wish it did, but it don't. As I said we can agree to disagree.

It is impossible in this part of the country unless you split small. 7-8" splits+ ain't drying in a year. Wish it did, but it don't. As I said we can agree to disagree.
Thats fine because i dont want 7-8" splits anyway. My biggest are half that size. Even now that i have space to get ahead i wont split any bigger i just dont like splits that big.

and no clogged cap screen even

I burn only oak. First year I was burning oak seasoned between 1 and 2 years. It actually burned fine but I never had great heat. Right now I’ve got 4 year seasoned oak in my stove. Cranking out heat like Florida in July. Longer burn times too.

What kind of screen cap do you have ? My 6 inch flex has only a rain cap, no screen. Been meaning to get one so no squirrels fall in. I had 2 large crows land on my rain cap this summer and pecked the crap out of it. It’s light and flimsy I’m surprise they didn’t damage it.

I burn only oak. First year I was burning oak seasoned between 1 and 2 years. It actually burned fine but I never had great heat. Right now I’ve got 4 year seasoned oak in my stove. Cranking out heat like Florida in July. Longer burn times too.

What kind of screen cap do you have ? My 6 inch flex has only a rain cap, no screen. Been meaning to get one so no squirrels fall in. I had 2 large crows land on my rain cap this summer and pecked the crap out of it. It’s light and flimsy I’m surprise they didn’t damage it.
I have 3/4" expanded stainless mesh on mine. Never had any problems with clogging either.

I honestly havnt seen any improvement in my oak over 2 years. But it is definitely better after 2. That gets me into the 14 to 17% range. It just doesnt get any drier than that here.

I have 3/4" expanded stainless mesh on mine. Never had any problems with clogging either.

I honestly havnt seen any improvement in my oak over 2 years. But it is definitely better after 2. That gets me into the 14 to 17% range. It just doesnt get any drier than that here.

Do you need a screen cap ? I’ve been burning with only a rain cap. Should I go get a screen cap ? Or can it wait until next Year when I sweep again end of season

Do you need a screen cap ? I’ve been burning with only a rain cap. Should I go get a screen cap ? Or can it wait until next Year when I sweep again end of season
No you dont need a screen unless you have problems with critters or you live in an area that requires spark arrestors. Which are smaller mesh anyway.

You're on the wrong forum. This is a wood burners forum, not a marriage counseling forum.
I'm not sure this is correct. Plenty of good relationship advice here. It goes with the territory of heating with wood. It's a lifestyle, my man.

I did the installation myself last year full-length stainless steel chimney liner with insulation wrapped around it. Last year I bought wood and had some hickory Oak and Poplar that was 10 months old. This year the Hickory is 22 months old going on 24. I have a stovetop thermometer on it and it doesn't seem to get over 3:50 or so. The living room has never gotten hot as in over 7 2 degrees. At my other house with the big Jack furnace I was able to eat heat 3000 square feet to the point that you would open up a Windows
Could you take some pictures of the setup?

My guess is, you are losing heat up the chimney and to the chimney and hearth/firebox. Need a block off plate and to insulate above the block off plate and behind and around the stove. Also, 350 indicates wet wood, which you have based on your location due to all the rain this year.

The cap came with a 1/2" opening screen. It eroded away a couple years ago, and I had some 1/2" galv mesh, so made a new screen with that. My system is DuraLiner and cap came with the set up, screen came in the cap.

As long as they are dry I love big thick splits. 6-8" work great for our stove with a filling in the blanks with some 3-5" splits.

I believe the culprit is the wood. Three years on my oak (red and white) and some splits are questionable. But bholler is right if you really wanted you probably could dry your wood in one year. Spread is on a black top one layer keep of the ground and most likely it will dry. Even 7”-8” splits but who is going to do it? I don’t measure moisture anymore but I can tell right away if my wood is dry or not.

Reactions: Dix and bholler
I'm not sure this is correct. Plenty of good relationship advice here. It goes with the territory of heating with wood. It's a lifestyle, my man.

;lol;lol

Yes, it does !!

I don’t measure moisture anymore but I can tell right away if my wood is dry or not.

I can, too. That's a lesson only time can teach. I also admit to some "clunkers" going into the stove, too, and saying "damn it, I knew it" :p

Are you filling the stove full?

Wife moved on to other problems. I got a a bag of that dried wood from acme that made a big difference got the stove top up to 600 ( the best ever before was 400)and got heat from the stove. I think it is/could be the wood. Don't want to believe that but. Thems are the facts.