Wood Processors??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
Does any one use wood processors here? I am thinking too much again. Just wondering if there is some entry level or home owner versions of the big boys.

Yea, that's a nice piece of equipment, but out of my price range for sure :)

Not much on the market that I am aware of in the wood processor category that ain't gonna cost a bunch of jingle. Even getting into the big splitters (think Timberwolf TW5) is pretty pricey for home owner firewood processing.

Not much on the market that I am aware of in the wood processor category that ain't gonna cost a bunch of jingle. Even getting into the big splitters (think Timberwolf TW5) is pretty pricey for home owner firewood processing.

Just cobble one together like this one made several years ago cost $800 gathered parts ,4cly diesel,pump,valves begged borrowed from whatever wherever,looked at others and built this. I have split 100's of cords it will cut 30" and split 6 ways works well

Attachments

• IMG_0670 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0670 (640x480).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,968
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 375
I'd like to build one, just to build it. But I think that I have gotten to anal about my split size to leave it up to the randomness of a 4 way wedge & gravity. Besides, my splitter (that I built about 33 years ago) & I have a good long term, trusting relationship that I will not disrespect just for a cheap fling with some flashy, new & young and shiney bimbo split.....er!;lol

Whitepine - how about we see a video post of that bad boy in action !!! I too would like to build one just for the fun of building it and welding experience. I know the economics might not work out, but then again they didn't for my splitter and I couldnt be happier with that.

^^^
Ditto!!

I have seen this one in action in person. Runs around $10K. And of course you cannot find one used.
What do you think Jags? Build one like this?

Bruce

I think the newer series comes with a rocking cradle to lock the chain saw in so you don't have to free hand it.

What do you think Jags? Build one like this?
Bruce
Well heck yeah.:cool: If the piece of equipment fits - build it. I personally don't process log length stuff (rarely), so a processor really isn't of much need for me. But for the folks that do - man, that has to be sweet.

Whitepine - how about we see a video post of that bad boy in action !!! I too would like to build one just for the fun of building it and welding experience. I know the economics might not work out, but then again they didn't for my splitter and I couldnt be happier with that.
I don't have any video on this splitter but I can make some as I will be using it as soon as I finish with the smaller splitter and splitting.

I have one that I used for my small firewood business. It's made by Dyna products and is the smallest one they make. I don't think it would be wise to buy one for personal use unless you had 3 or 4 buddies that you could go in on it with. You not only have to have the processor but also a loader of some sort to load the logs with. My father in-law has a large machine with a cab on it and a 30ft conveyor,but he does firewood full time and has no other job.

With the Wallenstein I will not need a loader. I buy my wood by the grapple load. Not to many reviews on it out there. They only started making it in 2010.

The processors are sweet, the wood I find is already cut when it's dropped off at the brush lot. You could process some serious wood on a weekend for sure.

Ya the wallenstein wouldn't require a loader. A local equipment place has one of them for sale. How much do they get for one?
They start around $10K. Still need to think about payback time vs. price.

Status
Not open for further replies.