Wood shed build and the power of mathematics, I almost got scammed, or did I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 26, 2021
I think I almost got scammed, or did I?

It all started with the idea of building a wood shed. 14x8 or so. This was last year and after the price shock at Lowes I just decided not to go any further. As I was browsing my local Facebook Marketplace, I noticed someone local who had some walnut slabs for sale. I gave him a text. It read: "I see you are selling some slabs and I was wondering if you would be interested in milling me some 1x lumber from pine or popular, sycamore or anything easy to get, and if so, I need 200 sq feet Give me a price." His reply was, "Sure, I'll cut and deliver it for $300".
I almost said yes until I rechecked the prices at Lowes and did the math. At Lowes, a 1x12x8 was 12.24, that is $1.53 per square foot x 200 is $306.
Now, Now. I know that Lowes' lumber is not really 1x12. its more like 3/4x11 1/4 or something, but it is dry, planed and has regular edges and all I need is something to cover the sides of a shed with. I might have to buy a couple more boards to make a full 200sq feet Lowes wants to charge $80 for delivery. Total price for Lowes' lumber would be closer to $400 since I don't have a truck. However, this local guy only lives 2 miles down the road so it's not much of a "delivery," and I would get green undried very un-uniform boards.
Local guy instantly got defensive when I said that his prices was the same for Lowes' lumber, told me just to go to Lowes then. He has to get the logs, mill them, load them, haul them. Gas is expensive, etc. I told him I understood the process but thought that rough sawn lumber is always cheaper than planed lumber from Lowes. My search validates my thoughts that Rough green lumber is usually 2/3 the cost of store lumber if not cheaper. I think either this guy didn't want to A:) Mill lumber to begin with. B:) Didn't know what to charge so he used Lowes' prices as a guide, C:) Trying to charge me full price for a very sub-par product, thinking I was naive and wouldn't check prices.

What are your thoughts on this? Dude trying to scam me? It all boils down with my situation, if $100 is worth it to have 200sq feet of decent lumber or save $100 for green rough sawn. If I had a truck it would be a no-brainer with Lowes winning by a longshot.

What are your thoughts on this? Dude trying to scam me?
Where's the scam here? Maybe he is busy and doesn't really want the job.
You asked for a price, he gave you a price...if you don't like it, don't buy it.
And what makes you think that his lumber will be "sub par"?

No scam, seems a bit high but that’s his price. I’m not up to date there. Rough sawn full dimension lumber is so much better for your woodshed than anything you will get at lowes, stronger, stiffer, and looks better. If they are green boards they will shrink a little but you want spaces on a woodshed or if under roof shingles they will be fine. Chances are good that the lumber will be uniform except the maybe a few inch longer and the ends not perfectly square.

In that situation with an almost neighbor who saws lumber I’d be down there telling him that I’m just learning about building and lumber and I would really appreciate if he would cut and deliver some.

Reactions: salecker
You asked for a price, he gave you a price...if you don't like it, don't buy it.
The scam? Selling green lumber that will shrink and split for the same price as dried and planed lumber. Rough sawn lumber is supposed to be cheaper.

sub par as in green. it shrinks, it splits. Store lumber is ready to paint, won't shrink or split... its better lumber... only thing better about rough sawn lumber is its cheaper.. or supposed to be.. Rough sawn is never supposed to be the same price as store bought... and I have milled lumber.. and still do if I have the logs...

A scam would consist of an intentional misrepresentation of the product or service. I don't see that here. You know exactly what you're getting and at what price. Maybe a little on the high side but that is what it is. Keep in mind that his side of the process is basically the same whether it is Pine cherry or black walnut.

I alway buy rough lumber mostly green it is dried in the loft of my drive shed
forever how long it takes to get to 10% . But I have a jointer and a planer
I pay 60Cents a board foot for soft wood and 70 cents a board foot for hard wood
I do refer to build sheds with unplanned lumber to me it looks nicer but I an a country boy
As my Father would say what ever floats your boat

You either support a local guy, or you go for lower cost because of scale and have the profits shipped out of your community.

Seems like you don't like the aesthetics of rough sawn lumber anyway, so just buy what you want and pay for what that takes.

The scam? Selling green lumber that will shrink and split for the same price as dried and planed lumber. Rough sawn lumber is supposed to be cheaper.
That's not a scam..."scam" implies deception.
Green lumber will shrink some...but splitting depends somewhat on how its stored/cured...myself, for a woodshed I'd prefer the rough cut look, and since its rough cut, it will be stronger since its larger...and, will probably be stronger, because it was very likely grown from a normal tree, not some hybrid farm tree with growth rings 1/2" ( or more) wide...most of those box store boards are pretty light these days!
Store lumber is ready to paint, won't shrink or split... its better lumber...
That's not a statement that I have ever heard before about lumber from the blue or the orange store! !!!

Lol.

There is no economy of scale for a portable mill. It only works in your favor if you own the trees. You might be able to get higher quality woods or uncommon dimensions at a better price. You wanted cheap lumber. That’s the whole business model of the the big box stores. Honestly I’d be building it all out of freaked lumber. So I wouldn’t even consider locally sawn lumber.

Reactions: brenndatomu
You’re comparing pine (SPF from Lowe’s) and possibly poplar or sycamore. Are you really comparing apples to apples here? Poplar is a lot more expensive surfaced.

And his costs are going to be higher due to him buying small quantities.

You can get around the shrinking, splitting and warping by paying attention to the grain direction and caring for the board as it dries. Actually. Paying attention to how you nail the board up if you’re doing board and batten siding will make a big difference. Most peiole nail it up in a way that restricts the movement of the wood so it pulls apart.

Come on guys be nice. The person is just new to this. Obviously this guy wasn't scamming them but his price is high.

Reactions: stoveliker
I built a 14x20 wood shed that had my boiler in it at the time.
I checked with the wood mill near my shop. The mill was 35-40% higher the the local lumber yard and they delivered for free.
I did buy a lift of reject ship lap for the siding from the mill. Had knot holes and other defects. Perfect for the wood shed.

When I saw other peoples logs I charge .50 per board foot. A bdft is 144 sq inches x 1 inch thick. 12 x 12 x 1 is 1 bdft. 6 x 24 x 1 is 1 bdft 12x 12 x2 is 2 bdft. etc. If I have to go into MY forest, cut down one of MY trees, drag it out and limb it to make a log, that I can THEN put on the mill...the price will be MORE than .50 bdft. How much more will depend on the species of wood. Red or white oak will be more than pine or sycamore. OP only states sqft so I would assume he would be getting lumber 1 full inch thick not 3/4. Normally anything less than an inch thick is scaled as an inch. If he were getting 1-1/2 inch (which I doubt) he would have the same sqft but half as much MORE in board footage. The sawyer may be on the high side, but I dont know location or species involved so I would give him the benefit of the doubt. If it were white oak I would think it a pretty good deal. I dont think he's trying to scam anyone

I feel like the fact that he would deliver it as well could be a reason for the price. If you can get over building with green wood (which has been done without catastrophic results) maybe ask him the price without delivery.

there books of/on how to build with green lumber. most of the stuff built in the 1800's and before was all green lumber