wood shed help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swordthrower

Dec 30, 2020
Washington
Hello all!
New to the forum and been a stalker for about a year now. Reading and learning.
I got my first real firewood insert this last year and built 2 cord stacks.
2 questions.
I live in the PNW and well it rains a good many number of days.
What are some tips and tricks to keep my wood dry? My current stacks are pallets set on cinderblocks with a plywood roof and a harbor frieght tarp that covers the top and front. The sides are vented as well as the back that sits up against my chain link fence.
Since i am using a tarp as my door should i have the tarp loose or taught to keep the wind from lifting? The tarp is screwed into the top with wood blocks to keep the wind from ripping off.
Suggestions are more than welcomed.

My grandpa never had a wood shed and always covered his stack with a tarp. He stacked the wood fairly tight but always left enough space for it to "breath." As long as pouring rain and mounds of snow are not keeping the stacks soaked, you're doing pretty good.

Reactions: stoveliker
You always want your tarp secured or the wind will beat it to death...most tarps are cheap and worthless to begin with and do not last very long.....I played that game for years...if you plan on burning long term build something permanent with a roof...you will be glad you did.

Hard to beat having a solid roof to keep wood under and there are a ton of ideas out there that wont cost you much depending on how big you want it. I built a 30'x10' with roughly 7-8' tall and I have under $500 in it. $350 was the 32'x12' roof.

I agree with building a permanent shed someday. You doesn't necessarily need one....they just make life a heck of a lot easier. That being said i have used tarps before and they work but I would suggest getting some barn tin. It can be found pretty cheap on craigslist....sometimes free. Lay it on top so that it overhangs each side of your stacks by a few inches. If it takes more than one sheet just make sure to overlap with the slope like shingles so that the water doesn't run under your downhill sheets. Throw some weight on top to hold them down....i use gnarly crotch pieces I didn't wanna mess with splitting. It's still a hassle compared to a walk in shed with a permanent roof but at least they will last you forever.

Reactions: lml999
I would do s shed. If its built correctly you'll never tarp again. The back of mine is vented the fron has an overhang of 2ft past where the splits sit, rain never touches it. season's quicker. less work as you just split it.. stack it in there.. and never have to do anything to it untill you have to take it out to burn it. my shed is 3 rows deep