Wood splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NaughtyWood

Oct 25, 2021
Ca
I am getting ready to buy a much needed wood splitter.
I am having a real hard time deciding between the Lowe’s performance built 27 ton with a 208 cc Briggs and strat OR

the tractor supply Countyline 25 ton with a Kohler 196 cc engine..

I’ve heard things about people having a hard time finding replacement parts for the Countyline but haven’t heard much on the performance built..

Any experience with either of these machines? When it comes down to reliability I’d rather sacrifice performance over power..

I'm pretty sure B&S went out of business. I heard something about that a couple months ago. I never investigated that as to I do not own any B&S engines.

Briggs isn't out of business. They did go bankrupt last year but have restructured.

I've read a lot of good things about the County Line units. Personally, I went with an American made unit which is pretty hard to come by these days. There aren't many brands left out there as all the big box store units are made in China. That said, if there was one China splitter I would consider, it's the County Line. I came darn close to one of their 40 ton units to save me a few bucks....

Reactions: all night moe
There is a manufacturer/distributor who makes both machines. I believe they are nearly identical. TSC and Lowes are not the primary manufacturers, and there are similar machines offered at many of the big box stores. I forgot the name of the place, but when looking up the source of where they come from, it's nothing more than a store front in Los Angeles (ie, importer).

Yup, YTL International is the company. However, the splitter is made to Tractor Supply's specs and is more stout than some of YTL's other lines.

So any conclusion as to which one? I was going to leave right now and get the performance built from Lowe’s.

Also Lowe’s has a less expensive warranty plan than tsc

County Line and skip the extended warranty. It's like betting against yourself....

Reactions: GadDummit
Not sure if you bought a splitter yet, but I really like my Swisher 22 ton electric I just got. They also make gas powered splitters and other power equipment.

Professional quality, super heavy duty machines and the best part is they're made in the USA so you're supporting jobs in Missouri.