wood storage advice please !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen44

Jul 24, 2008
Danville VA
Ok - so I'm cutting my first load of wood - starting pretty late I know - But I've only just decided to bite the bullet and get an OWB. - this is the result of the first week - using the amazing Stihl ms260 pro !!

great fun !!! - P.S. feeling really proud that this was all done with only 1 chain - sharpening myself as I go - dealer really did give me a great lesson !!!

at the moment it is just stacked on pallets - whilst we get -'r-done ! - so it can dry for this winter - fortunately a lot of the wood is early season felled and is pretty dry already! - and it was free !!!! - nice to have an arborist as a friend !!

which brings me onto the subject of the post. all my money has gone into teh OWB, installation and chainsaw and PPE.

how wood you protect this wood - just cover in tarps for the winter ?

would one of those $600 car ports help at all - or will it just get as wet with rain blowing in from the open sides.

I was thinking of building a pole barn - but the cost is very high for the projected 10+ cords I think I will need to store.

Ideas please !

thanks

Stephen

Attachments

• wood-pile.JPG
    wood-pile.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 391
Just use a cheap tarp until you build yourself a more permanent structure someday. No sense wasting $600 on a carport that could go towards a permanent solution down the road.

10 cords of wood per year in Virginia??? Do you even get much winter down that way? I'll use 10 cords this year in New England, but its not uncommon to see 20 below up this way...

MrEd said:
Just use a cheap tarp until you build yourself a more permanent structure someday. No sense wasting $600 on a carport that could go towards a permanent solution down the road.

10 cords of wood per year in Virginia??? Do you even get much winter down that way? I'll use 10 cords this year in New England, but its not uncommon to see 20 below up this way...

thanks - 10 cords in a OWB ? - my wife due to a serious illness - needs temp almost at 80 and 300G of hot hot water a day. - so I use more than most - 10cords was what the dealer thought i would use. I don't want to run out this winter - so i'll see - worse case i'll have a good head start on next year !

Status
Not open for further replies.