Wood stove for garage 650ft best choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MAD MARK

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
Ive been looking around for a wood stove for my garage. Ive grown up with a wood stove always in my dads garage and now Ive got my own house Id like to keep that going. I know the hazards and all safety point of not having a wood stove in a garage and my insurance company will insure it. So, with that said,

-Garage 650 square feet.
-Insulated roof
-Open air pitched roof of 4/12 with 16' at the center
-Have primary heat of 7500kw electric heater (too expensive to run all the time)

Whats a good option. Im used to cutting wood around 20". I got a good lead on a Napoleon 1400 with 2 pieces of triple wall pipe for $750. Almost jumped on a VC Resolute 1 for $500 but decided to shop around and do some research. Any opinion?

The Napoleon 1400 likes 15in long wood splits, 20in will be a problem. They are great heaters, I liked mine.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

I like the englander 13NC it heats really well and fits decent size wood. Plus I think I got it through Home Depot for 400 or so new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R value of envelope? How warm do you want it? Air tightness?

I asked my wife for a BK Boxer 24 for Xmas, didnt get one. Englander NC-30 is the horse to beat in this race.

Reactions: Rickb
R value on walls old R-11, new R-13 on roof.

Right now it's 0°F outside, I'd like it 60.

Air tightness is good besides garage door which is getting replaced in the summer.

I'm thinking of waiting and seeing what home depot does with their stoves end of season.

If I was going to heat a garage or shop and I was going to buy a stove I think my first choice would have to be a englander. The price point and heating capabilities along with the quality and there support would make it the front runner. Also they sell under a few different names.. Not sure what they are but someone else will know. Summers heat I think is one.

you can get fairly cheap 28-3500s on criagslist here they dont have the secondary tubes. poeple ad them all over you tube, if you care. its a heavy stove that will last and hold big wood

I have an Englander 13 in my 28x28. It does an excellent job heating it. In the 30's and 40's outside the garage can get over 80 if I let it.

Thinking the Englander 30 is a nice option. The longer burn times are what's swaying me along with the price. The Eng-13 seems like it work, but since being attached garage if the Englander 30 is cooking me out I'll put a box fan into the house.

That is what I do with my 13. I have an attached garage and in the shoulder seasons I point a box fan in the garage and I can satisfy my house T'stat all day.

I would check with your insurance co before getting too far into an install. There are alot of codes regarding wood heaters in garages due to fumes and some areas completely ban them. Your insurance guy may seriously frown upon this since it is attached to the house. Just something to think about

I would check with your insurance co before getting too far into an install. There are alot of codes regarding wood heaters in garages due to fumes and some areas completely ban them. Your insurance guy may seriously frown upon this since it is attached to the house. Just something to think about
" and my insurance company will insure it. So, with that said,"

Reactions: MAD MARK
Yes i actually switched from State Farm to Farmers at beginning of the year just so I could move forward with this.

State Farm will Not.
Farmers will.

Also I saved $440 a year on home insurance and $37 a month on vehicles.

Reactions: Tar12
Yes i actually switched from State Farm to Farmers at beginning of the year just so I could move forward with this.

State Farm will Not.
Farmers will.

I had a issue with Indiana Farm...they told me sure...call when its done..I did and they said sorry we can't..ok kiss my backside...enter Erie Insurance....like you I saved....win...win

State Farm will Not.
Farmers will.

I completely missed this in your original post. This cold weather is hard on us southern folks<>

I completely missed this in your original post. This cold weather is hard on us southern folks<>
What kind of temps are you guys seeing? Been brutal here for us with some -30 plus windchill mornings but that is about over! :)

For what seems like a month, more like 10 days, we start our day with wind chills near zero and havent broke the freezing mark. Looking forward to today's high of 37. Its gonna feel like t-shirt weather.

Reactions: Tar12
I heat a 24x40 very well insulated pole barn with wood...it's usually heated on weekends. One thing is for sure from a cold start you want a nice size stove to warm it up fairly quick along with all your tools and what have ya in your garage that still radiate cool air until warm...NC 30 would be a good choice. It would warm it up fairly quick and good coals for the morning if needed.

View attachment 240335
I am using TS20 electric fireplace from TURBRO garage wood Stove. It looks amazing and gives you warmness and elegant look in your garage in a winter season. The heating capacity of 1400W (4780BTU) to warm up an area of 1000 square feet in a few minutes. It comes with a 1-year warranty. Easy to install, comes with two switches and a temperature knob. You can also set the temperature 68-degree Fahrenheit to 95-degree Fahrenheit

1400 watt heater is not going to do anything in a 1000 square foot garage!

I just have to add in the us wood stoves in garages are not allowed by code. I just want to be sure people know this and understand the issues send risks involved including insurance denying a claim even if you informed them.

Personally with an attached garage those risks are way to high and I would never consider it.

My 7500k watt electric heater wasnt cutting it like i wrote in the OP.

Just update since someone brought this back from the dead.

I have since went with a Englander 30-NC and haven't looked back or used the electric heat once since wood stove install.

Reactions: bholler
so 10000 watts to heat 600ft and garagedoor spammer says his 1400 watt heater will heat a 1000 ft garage in minutes......you cant make this $%IT up!

Depends on how you heat it. It's 50's in garage and lots warmer in shop with 2 of them. Car don't shiver in 50's at all. But 1500 watts would be enough I bet to keep it above freezing if it's insulated good enough and not in -30f weather. Lot of variables.