Wood stove install struggles - what's the right adapter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hardyharhearth

Dec 13, 2017
USA
Hi, folks! We are trying to set up a wood stove in our basement and have some kind of double-walled chimney pipe sticking out from the brick wall about 4.5". Neither the 6" nor the 8" Selkirk "universal chimney adapter" quite fit. From what I have read/seen, it seems we don't need a masonry adapter, since there's already pipe going into the brick, and wall thimbles appear to be recessed into the wall more than the 4.5" protrusion would allow. (We've installed a wood stove once before, but in that case the pipe went up through the ceiling and roof rather than into a wall). We must be missing some other piece/adapter...? I'm including a picture that shows approximate dimensions. Suggestions (and links) appreciated. Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Attachments

• flue questions jpg.png
    flue questions jpg.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 590
Is this Selkirk chimney pipe? What are you trying to connect, single or double-wall stove pipe?

Reactions: hardyharhearth
All you need is a stove pipe adaptor. You need to know the brand though. All are brand specific. Can you post a pic of the chimney cap?

If it's Selkirk, it could be Super Vent sold thru Menards, they are slightly different than the rest of the Selkirk line, or like Webby said, it could be a different brand altogether. many of them look similar.

Thanks so much, all! I think we are getting warmer (pun intended)...today I tried the 6" Supervent Stove Pipe Adapter, Class A Chimney Family from Menards; it seemed to be the right TYPE of piece, and it did fit on there, but it wouldn't twist-lock into place.

(General FYI, we are using 6" double-walled stove pipe.)

Looks like the locking mechanism/teeth are different on the wall piece vs the adapter (photos below). Perhaps what we have is indeed Class A, but a different brand (not Supervent/Selkirk)...?

Below is a photo of the chimney cap as requested, in case that's a clue!

Any suggestions on other brands of Class A whose adapters we could try? The home was built 1979 (although I can't be sure this chimney pipe is original to that time).

Also, one other question: if we find out what brand of chimney pipe that is and get the adapter of that same brand, does that mean all of our stovepipe will need to be that brand as well? (What we have right now is all Selkirk).

Thanks a million for all the insights so far...it has been really helpful! I think we are close! :)

Attachments

• supervent adapter.jpg
    supervent adapter.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 1,150
  • locking mech on supervent adapter.jpg
    locking mech on supervent adapter.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 404
  • locking mech on wall.jpg
    locking mech on wall.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 461
  • chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 494
You do not need to use the same brand of stove pipe.

If it were me, assuming that adaptor presses all the way in and the interior transition is smooth, I’d use it. Shoot a couple 1/4” self drilling screws through the outer wall to prevent it from coming out and call it a day!

Looking Good! Happy heating.