Wood stove purchase help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'll find out today if Home Depot can order one in for me, the online shipping is $200. One thing that stands out is the 17" corner clearances. I'm putting the stove in the corner and that's a lot of clearance.
it also has pretty high requirements for the hearth. Shielding ect is obviously an area they saved money on to keep the cost down.

The 30NC is a good stove that has earned a place in many homes here. What are Drolets going for in your neck of the woods?
Drolets are available at almost every retailer here and hence they are the most commonly purhased stove. I can have any one of their extra large models for between $1250 and $1500 and they are more likely to go on sale. They have smaller corner clearances than the 30NC but the emmisions are on the high end of epa regs. The HT2000 was recommended here.

it also has pretty high requirements for the hearth. Shielding ect is obviously an area they saved money on to keep the cost down.
That's a consideration for me because I don't want it stuck way out into the room and I don't want the sofa and love seat to melt!

Englander has a new 3 cu ft stove the 50 SSW02 that sells for under $1K here. If has simple hearth requirements and closer clearances. I checked Canadian Tire but they only sell the model 50 TRSSW01 under the Timber Ridge brand. That would work for you. It's a 2.4 cu ft stove. Most reviews for it here are under the unofficial Englander Madison name. Home Depot Canada does not appear to have the new Englander stoves yet.

I've decided to get a Pacific Energy Super 27. All black 'heritage' model on pedistal with fan can be had for $1899 Cdn. When compared to other stoves of about the same size ranging from $1400 to $2400, the PE stood out as having superior construction quality and features, even compared to more expensive stoves from Quadrafire, Napoleon, Regency and Osburn.
Clearly I'm not as good a haggler as I thought as none of the dealers here in town would budge on their pricing for any stove brand. Still, if I have to pay sticker price, it would not bother me at all to buy the Super 27 because of it's tangible build quality and design. I feel the price is justified.

I've decided to get a Pacific Energy Super 27. All black 'heritage' model on pedistal with fan can be had for $1899 Cdn. When compared to other stoves of about the same size ranging from $1400 to $2400, the PE stood out as having superior construction quality and features, even compared to more expensive stoves from Quadrafire, Napoleon, Regency and Osburn.
Clearly I'm not as good a haggler as I thought as none of the dealers here in town would budge on their pricing for any stove brand. Still, if I have to pay sticker price, it would not bother me at all to buy the Super 27 because of it's tangible build quality and design. I feel the price is justified.

Good reasoning & good choice!
Keep us updated on the install, 1st firing, etc.

Thanks to all who chimed in here, it was more helpful then you'll ever know. I'm going to spend a lot of time around here quietly learning everything I can.
I'm so excited to pick up my stove tomorrow and it doesn't even have an engine in it!
Again, thank you all!

Reactions: chance04
Thanks to all who chimed in here, it was more helpful then you'll ever know. I'm going to spend a lot of time around here quietly learning everything I can.
I'm so excited to pick up my stove tomorrow and it doesn't even have an engine in it!
Again, thank you all!

Lots of good advice on the "engine" here too!
Installing yourself or getting it done by pro?

Good reasoning & good choice!
Keep us updated on the install, 1st firing, etc.
You won't regret spending a little extra up front. I bet you find even more features along the way that will confirm to you that you made a wise decision. Like bcrtops said, we want lots of pics and performance descriptions. We hung in there a long time on this thread...we deserve that much. ;) ;lol

You won't regret spending a little extra up front. I bet you find even more features along the way that will confirm to you that you made a wise decision. Like bcrtops said, we want lots of pics and performance descriptions. We hung in there a long time on this thread...we deserve that much. ;) ;lol
Might be a while but absolutely!

Congratulations. That's a fantastic choice IMO. I'm very happy with my super insert and my summit freestander too. Myself I like the simple functional style of the pedestal.

With the fan that seems like a very fair price. I think you've done well.

Lots of good advice on the "engine" here too!
Installing yourself or getting it done by pro?
Installing myself, I'm too particular to let someone else do it. My insurance company will allow it and send an inspector at no charge to verify compliance.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I assume you're putting in a class a chimney with connecting pipe. If at all possible keep it all straight and inside the building envelope as much as possible.

I assume you're putting in a class a chimney with connecting pipe. If at all possible keep it all straight and inside the building envelope as much as possible.
Yes, Supervent by Selkirk. My situation doesn't allow me to keep it inside, I'll have to exit the wall with a wall support kit and go straight up through 16" eve. I'm having a buddy make up some 5/8" stainless bushings so the wall band bolts don't crush the vinyl siding. I'm a stickler for the details and often go above what is required.

I'm sure that'll work too as long as you have sufficient height. My basement stove dumps into a lined interior masonry chimney. Even with the 90's it works fine.

I'm sure that'll work too as long as you have sufficient height. My basement stove dumps into a lined interior masonry chimney. Even with the 90's it works fine.
It's the prevailing method around here for decades. You just don't see masonry chimneys here anymore. A hasty look at the location tells me the chimney will be around 20 feet high from wall kit to regulation height above shingle line.

That should work then because the bit of extra over the 15' min will be largely negated by the 90's.

Yah I wasn't suggesting building a masonry chimney for it. But you can go through the wall or straight up with connecting pipe through the ceiling/attic/ and out the roof with class A too.

Are you up and running yet? Got pics?

Are you up and running yet? Got pics?
No, no chimney yet and I have to reno the room it's going in but here's something to tie you over.
20170105_164352_HDR.jpg

Reactions: WayneN and Squisher
Devil! Dropping all these little pics here and there. Lol.

My brother went with me to pick up the Super 27 today and he fell in love with the build quality. He has a much larger home and the Summit would be perfect. I dropped the brochure off to him tonight and he's salivating!

I've been preparing for the chimney install and have a quick question. I'm installing a prefab chimney and double wall connector inside. Pacific Energy recommends minimum 15 feet system height measured from base of stove. Taking in account all the rules, my chimney will have to be 18 feet from the wall tee up because of my roof slope which makes it just about 20 feet total. The double wall stainless steel connector kit is on the way. My question is, should I install a damper in the connector pipe just in case I experience too much draft?

Last edited:
I would try it without first if it were me. Unless it's gonna somehow cost to much in pipe to add after if you do need it.

Espescially because you're going through the wall I don't suspect you'll have excessive draft. Those two 90's will cost you draft. I think your effective draft will be closer to the minimum of 15' when you account for the 90's.

I've got right around 15' on my super insert straight up and fully insulated in a interior masonry chimney. No need for a damper. And my summit in the basement is a 5.5" uninsulated liner in a interior masonry chimney too with about 23', so it has two 90's as well like your set up will. And no damper or need of one on it either.

Just my experience burning similar stoves.

I would try it without first if it were me. Unless it's gonna somehow cost to much in pipe to add after if you do need it.

Espescially because you're going through the wall I don't suspect you'll have excessive draft. Those two 90's will cost you draft. I think your effective draft will be closer to the minimum of 15' when you account for the 90's.

I've got right around 15' on my super insert straight up and fully insulated in a interior masonry chimney. No need for a damper. And my summit in the basement is a 5.5" uninsulated liner in a interior masonry chimney too with about 23', so it has two 90's as well like your set up will. And no damper or need of one on it either.

Just my experience burning similar stoves.
That sounds good. The damper section would have cost me an extra $50 but it's not the money, it's just planning. I wanted to avoid doing something twice.