Wood stoves good for cooking in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

The Dude

Jan 17, 2011
Central PA
Hello! I used to own a Harman TL300 wood stove, which offered a grill accessory that sat down in the top loading door and allowed me to cook meats and make small pizzas, etc. I even smoked chicken in it regularly.

It’s time for me to get a new stove, smaller, for only 1100 ft.², and cooking is something I really want to continue. I am wondering if there are other manufacturers than Harman that offer this.

I am in Pennsylvania and am hoping to buy used, but could go new.

Thanks!

This feature is also an option on the Jotul F50, but that is not a small stove.

I've done some cooking in my woodstove as well (not on top of it) I bought a cheap lodge pole cast frying pan and raked / leveled coals out and simply tossed the pan in, works great, I've also laid some 1/2 steaks directly on coals, it did work, but it was primitive and the ash will drip off the steaks but I didn't really enjoy it was much.