Wood Stoves--too many choices!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband just perused the postings...and he quite literally "lost it".

We are trying to save money here by using wood to heat our home and unstrap ourselves from huge monthly gas bills. People in our area use wood stoves--from Amish to mobile home owners. I doubt if any have installed multi-thousand dollar hearth pads and chimneys. And granted, locals have dubbed our fire department as "the foundation savers", but please!

He is a step away from driving to the nearest Orscheln and buying a Vogelzang (probably more like a Drolet from Northern Tool, but you catch my drift). He does not have the patience to research any further. I tried...Century? Englander?

Please help!!!

Frau--Derspielmann

derspielmann said:
I am really appreciative of the advice from various people replying to my original post. Several things confuse me:
1. Cast iron heats different from soapstone
SOMEONE PLEASE ELABORATE HERE--IS ONE MORE POWERFUL THAN THE OTHER? COMPARATIVELY WHICH WILL GIVE THE BIGGER BANG FOR THE BUCK?
2. A chimney is necessary? Maybe this is just different terminology, but I always thought of a chimney as a brick structure left when the rest of a house burnt to the ground. The reason I say "direct vent" is that we do not have a brick chimney, but understand we will have to run a pipe up from the stove through the roof.
3. Permits--in my rural location, there is no such thing as building permits

In regards to the outlay of the house, there is a relatively open area consisting of:
family room with stove is 12 X 20
adjacent dining area 10 X 12
kitchen 14 X 10
A ceiling fan in the family room circulates air down the hallway and into the bedrooms.

Thank you all once again!

Frau--Derspielmann

First off, tell your husband to mellow for a bit... Seems like some haven't been responding as much to your questions as they should have...

1. You need to check with your local government types about what, if any permits are required, and you should also check with your homeowners insurance company to see what they will want. It is likely that one or both will eventually want to see the manuals on the stove, do inspections, etc. but you should be able to find out now what is REQUIRED it can save much time and agravation to do so before you start doing the install - note that if you skip the permits, you may have difficulty selling your house later, and if disaster does strike, your homeowners insurance can get really nasty about paying out if the fire has anything to do with a woodstove they didn't know about.

2. The requirements for what you will need to install a stove are NOT going to change very much regardless of what you are going to install for a stove, there are minor detail changes, but the outline will stay the same, and so will most of the costs other than the stove.

In addition to the stove, you will need a venting system (aka "chimney"). You will need a hearth pad for the stove to sit on. You will need smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. You will need a wood supply. More on these things later...

3. WE CARE ABOUT YOUR SAFETY! Yes, you can do a "Mickey Mouse", unpermitted install, and short circuit the safety requirements, and this will save you some money. It will also potentially let you get first hand experience of your local fire department, or learn what CO poisoning feels like. We don't drop dimes on people, but we won't tell you how to do an unsafe install, and if we see you doing something that looks bad, we will let you know about it in no uncertain terms.

4. If you and your husband are good at DIY projects, you can do all the installation yourself, nothing about installing a stove is "rocket science" but it does require a lot of different skills. You can also sub out some or all of the job, but as mentioned earlier it can sometimes be a challenge to find a competent person to do the work. Be aware also that there are a lot of "hack" sweeps and installers out there that do less than stellar work, along with some very good folks. We can help guide you through the process so that you can make sure your installers do what they should.

Now, your questions...

1. There are three major different types of stove materials, and two main design styles, each has it's own heating properties, advantages and disadvantages. Soapstone is the "Cadillac" material - it tends to take a long time to warm up, but it delivers heat in a very smooth and uniform manner. A wood fire inherently has a lot of variation in it's heat output, soapstone tends to smooth them out so that you have a more constant output. However because it takes so long to warm up, I suggest that it is only good for 24/7 burning - it does not work well for part time burners. Also it has a tendency to overheat you in the "shoulder season" when it's cool enough to need a fire, but not COLD...

Plate steel stoves tend to be very fast responding - they heat up fast when you build the fire, and cool down fast when the fire does. Cast iron is in between, it responds faster than soapstone, but evens out the peaks better than steel.

The other big difference is "radiant" vs. "convection" heating. Radiant is the heat that comes directly off the stove - essentially it is infrared radiation or heat waves. Convection is when the stove warms the air and the air gets blown around. ALL stoves do both, but can be designed to do one more than the other. Soapstone is mostly radiant, cast iron or plate steel can be either depending on the way the stove is designed. (This was the "Cliff Notes" version, ask if you need more explanation...)

2. A chimney will be required. It will be approximately the same REGARDLESS of what stove you get. - Definition: A chimney is a structure that attaches to a wood stove for the purpose of getting rid of combustion byproducts. It may be made of masonry OR METAL... It contains "flues" which are the actual passages the smoke goes through. It is also sometimes referred to as a "stack".

REGARDLESS OF MATERIAL, it must be installed in accordance with strict standards for proper materials, construction, and installation method, or serious fire risk can result.

In your case, what you will almost certainly want is a straight up chimney made with "Class A" chimney pipe, which is a specially designed metal chimney that is heavily insulated to protect it as it goes through your ceiling and roof. It is not cheap, but you must use it and install it properly.
(will continue in next post...)

Do you have any kind of fireplace or woodstove already? If so you may be able to use the chimney that they had, otherwise you will have to design and build from scratch. We can get into further details about the chimney later.

You will also need to have a hearth pad for the stove to sit on. Depending on the exact stove model and it's requirements, which will be spelled out in the stove manual, this can be as simple as a "Non-combustible surface" to a structure requiring a high level of insulation to protect the floor under it, also known as "R-value". The size and composition depends on the stove, we can go into more detail once we know just what you are getting, and more details about where it will be going. (BTW a rough floor plan would help, so would some pictures of the proposed install location...)

All stoves also have "Clearance to Combustibles" requirements - or how far they must be from walls made from things that will burn. There are ways to reduce these, again we can go there later.

Lastly, you will need to consider your wood supply, and where it will come from... Do you currently have a supply of firewood? How dry is it? As mentioned earlier, for proper burning, you need wood that has been seasoned for at least 9-12 months before being burned, less than that it will have to much moisture and it will be difficult to burn at best, and will probably make lots of creosote and deliver very little heat (you have to drive the moisture out of the wood before it will burn, and heat spent on drying the wood doesn't warm you any...)

Hopefully this clears things up a bit, if you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Gooserider

Hey Goose,
Those are two excellent replies. Good work! Back in the early 1970s, my bother-in-law had a Moto Guzi which he dearly loved. Unfortunately, it did not love him equally. He hit a patch of gravel up in northern Ontario while on vacation and spent 4 days in a coma but eventually recovered completly. His helmet saved his life. A second less dramatic accident a year later made him decide to sell the Guzi. He really hated to do it but the rest the family gave a sigh of relief.
All the best,
Chip

derspielmann said:
My husband just perused the postings...and he quite literally "lost it".

We are trying to save money here by using wood to heat our home and unstrap ourselves from huge monthly gas bills. People in our area use wood stoves--from Amish to mobile home owners. I doubt if any have installed multi-thousand dollar hearth pads and chimneys. And granted, locals have dubbed our fire department as "the foundation savers", but please!

He is a step away from driving to the nearest Orscheln and buying a Vogelzang (probably more like a Drolet from Northern Tool, but you catch my drift). He does not have the patience to research any further. I tried...Century? Englander?

Please help!!!

Frau--Derspielmann

Derspielmann,
I can't give you any better advice than the moderator, Gooserider, has already.

I do have one inexpensive --if unattractive-- suggestion for tightening up your windows. I had a drafty condo and I got some insulating material from Home Depot or Lowes and I cut the material a little larger than twice the size of the window, folded it in half and "stuffed" it into the window frame. I forget what it's called but it looks like bubble wrap with a foil surface. If you do this you should probably remove the insulating material once in awhile to check for condensation. Otherwise, you could develope a moisture problem that could lead to rot.

Also, I want to offer some moral support and encouragement. You really need to talk your husband "off the ledge".

You are facing a complicated problem with no quick fix. And you are trying to solve it at the worst possible time due to the current cost of fuel, with Winter right around the corner. There is a lot of competition for inexpensive but efficient stoves and competent but reasonably priced installations. You could easily make your financial problems worse by running out and getting the first Vogelzgang, Drolet, or whatever; then pay for what you think is supposed to be a professional installation and instead wind up with what is commonly referred to on these boards as a "slam in" installation.

Proper planning and preparation are the key to making sure that the stove you choose will meet your needs and that you aren't taken advantage of by an overbooked installer. A poor installation may make it harder for you to heat efficiently, which is obviously more expensive because you need to use more wood. Not to mention that a poor installation could literally jeopardize your lives due to poor ventilation and/or the greater risk of a fire.

I appreciate what you are saying about the Amish and others seeming to be able to heat "on the cheap" with whatever inefficient, pre EPA stove they happen to have. However, the biggest difference between them and you is that they already have their stove. If they were starting from scratch and were looking for advice here they would be told the same thing that you are.

The second biggest difference is that the Amish in particular are probably in a better position to "scrounge" cheap or free wood. Which involves --at a minimum-- the physical ability to load and stack it ... if not the ability to cut and split it. If you could get wood for little or no money then efficiency would not be as important as it is for me or you. For that matter, if you could get gas for little or no money you wouldn't be here in the first place.

I'm confused as to whether the Lennox has been properly repaired or not and if that's why you gas bill is so high. If it hasn't been repaired, or if it hasn't been repaired properly, I think you should at least consider the possibility that you might be better off taking the money you would put towards a good stove and professional installation and put it towards the repair of the Lennox. I realize that your husband is emotionally exhausted in dealing with Lennox right now but you should be able to get some estimates from other contractors. The repair cost would become a part of your damages when you do go to Small Claims court.

I forget if you said when you bought the Lennox but you need to be aware of the Statute of Limitations. It is probably longer than one year but it could be as short as 2 or 3 years. That time may fly more quickly than you think.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
~Cath

I don't think Vogelzang and Drolet should be used in the same sentence. Drolet stoves, for the most part, are safe and reliable stoves. Some of them are built a LOT heavier than many of the Century stoves, for about the same money.

Drolet Adirondack has a 3/8" steel top. My old Century had a 3/16" steel top.
Not dis-ing the Century stoves, just saying the Drolets aren't so bad...

FWIW, our first stove was a CENTURY, and it worked well for a $500 EPA stove.
The only reason I bring Century in the conversation, is you can buy them fairly cheap.
Drolet would be about middle of the road.
I think the Vogelzangs are iffy, I haven't heard any praise about them.

Jimbob said:
I don't think Vogelzang and Drolet should be used in the same sentence. Drolet stoves, for the most part, are safe and reliable stoves. Some of them are built a LOT heavier than many of the Century stoves, for about the same money.

Drolet Adirondack has a 3/8" steel top. My old Century had a 3/16" steel top.
Not dis-ing the Century stoves, just saying the Drolets aren't so bad...

FWIW, our first stove was a CENTURY, and it worked well for a $500 EPA stove.
The only reason I bring Century in the conversation, is you can buy them fairly cheap.
Drolet would be about middle of the road.
I think the Vogelzangs are iffy, I haven't heard any praise about them.

Jimbob,
I appreciate the clarification. I hope I don't sound defensive here but I used them in the same sentence because the Original Poster did. I wasn't trying to emphasize quality as an issue --although it is one issue-- so much as suitability.

Heck, if they are going to "run out" and buy something I would simply recommend an Englander Stove Works' (ESW) stove: Englander, Summer's Heat, or TimberRidge (sold at Home Depot, Lowes, and Independent Dealers such as Ace Hardware, respectively). Although I now have the impression that at least one Englander is EPA exempt (the 12 NC?); I assume that means it is less efficient and the price reflects that. So even assuming a given ESW stove would meet their needs and could be properly installed they would still need to do a minimum amount of homework to make sure they are getting the most "bang for the buck".

I just don't want to see them jump from the frying pan into the fire. However, it does occur to me that if they are as anxious as her last post suggests she could do worse than to go to check out the ESW's at their local Home Depot, Lowes, or Independent Dealer and see if any of them have a list of installers. However, if they were to go that route I would strongly recommend that they familiarize themselves with the permit requirements and perhaps look at the Owner's Manual online to check out any installation issues such as permit requirements and that they not simply rely on the installer to get things right.

~Cath

Status
Not open for further replies.