Wood Wood everywhere!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
So yesterday....wind gust 82 mph, five hours of over 60mph gusts! 150,000 no power. So as you can imagine there is wood everywhere!! More than I can store. i will take what I can store, but the chainsaws are firing just trying to help folks in tough situations. I know pics or it didn't happen......just go to the weather channel website....plenty of pics on there!!

Yeah it's been crazy here. No power at my house for over 24 hrs and likely not to have any until next week. I've never seen so many fallen trees, and I've never heard so many generators running. Kinda eerie.

Yeah it's been crazy here. No power at my house for over 24 hrs and likely not to have any until next week. I've never seen so many fallen trees, and I've never heard so many generators running. Kinda eerie.

Hope your power comes back on sooner than later. After almost 3 weeks of no power after Sandy (2012) i had a whole house generator installed. Not cheap, but peace of mind and power during blackouts make it worth every single penny

Edit to add that the cost for the generator itself isnt that bad....its the permits and electricians that add up quickly

Yeah I have a buddy in the business who's always trying to sell me on one. I'm still young and don't have kids so I can't justify it for now - would much rather put that money towards chainsaws and a log splitter lol.

Hasn't been a huge deal so far, we've just been staying at my sister's right across town. If it was more widespread outages then it'd be a lot tougher to deal with. With sub zero Temps coming in this weekend I am a little nervous but the T5 will be cranking.

I had a trip to Albany today. There were many convoys of mutual and power companies coming to Rochester on the thruway. Long Island, Pennsylvania Massachusetts Connecticut and Ontario all making there way in.

Our house is warm and comfortable with the Quad brewing. I have folks lined up to help Saturday Sunday and Tuesday. Tomorrow I'll tidy up around here and tune and sharpen the three saws.

Rochester area is a war zone right now. Put in two 14 hour days and a 12 getting trees off houses and opening up driveways. A lot of roads still closed down with trees and wires down.

Anyone out in the area. If you see crews working. Give them a thanks maybe get em a cup of coffee, It really is a thankless job.

Glad you are alright...hope things get back to normal quickly.

We have horizontal trees everywhere,
Our in-laws in Rochester said there was some gusts over 80mph.
Crazy day it was. We were without outside power for almost 24 hrs
and as mentioned, many generators humming in the distance. We
fired up the inverter and power strip for lights and tv, and used the stove
for heat. Pretty comfy for an outage. The stuff in the fridge went into totes
on the porch and we did fine. Deb said Rochester was ripped up pretty
bad with countless outages and peeps losing many shingles and no one
can find their garbage cans now. No deaths were reported that I know of
on the positive side.

And yes, let the scavenging begin...... Bringing home a load on the way back from
work in the morning. We're getting way far ahead with the mild winter combined with
now the second major windstorm of 2017.

So yesterday....wind gust 82 mph, five hours of over 60mph gusts! 150,000 no power. So as you can imagine there is wood everywhere!! More than I can store. i will take what I can store, but the chainsaws are firing just trying to help folks in tough situations. I know pics or it didn't happen......just go to the weather channel website....plenty of pics on there!!
With every crisis, there comes opportunity!

Would love to see some pictures, although I understand the feeling of being to busy to stop to take them.

Here is a load of maple that I got from cutting a fallen tree in a friends yard.
maple1.JPG
maple2.JPG

Remember to keep it safe, folks. Wind blown trees can have some funky torsion energy stored in them. I have helped with some tornado cleanups that had trees making strange stress noises when cut.

Remember to keep it safe, folks. Wind blown trees can have some funky torsion energy stored in them. I have helped with some tornado cleanups that had trees making strange stress noises when cut.
You are absolutely right! This particular one was pretty straight forward. But there are so many that are hung up, twisted, and then the blow overs with root balls still attached which spring back. It really makes me appreciate the professionals from all over the Northeast and Canada that are here helping. Still 20,000 without power and a foot and a half of snow coming tonight.

Now are you getting ready to shovel? I went to start the snowblower...and of course it wouldn't start!!

Haha! Sure am. Did you see the governor just declared a state of emergency for all of NY starting at midnight?? Looks like I'm gonna start the snowmobile too.

Very true. I always start towards the top of everything and work my way down towards the trunk, never cutting big long limbs right in half

It is so hard driving past all the wood. I had a full load of maple in the truck and drove by a loucust all cut to length. I just have no more room. I said front yard. The look I got was colder than the wind chill!

Reactions: Woody5506
How far south did the damage from the snow get? In-laws live in Genessee County, siblings live in Cattaraugus, another works in Danville. In-laws have not said much about it at all.

Hey friend. It was a wind. storm. The worst damage was in Monroe county. The Rochester area. My friends by genesee county had much less damage.

Whoops...!!! Wifey & I were just talking about the snow in WNY & CNY. Most of our families still live up in that area. We didn't know how isolated the storm was. Thanks for the update.

It was a strange one! Hey if you make a road trip with a truck I'm sure I can hook you up! That is after the two feet of snow melts!