Woodchuck splitter from Walmart 243.00 Anybody try one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clark_bailey

Dec 20, 2007
Alabama
I see where wally world will deliver one to your walmart store for 243.00 bucks. Add says 4 ton electric splitter, looks alot like the others out there for 299 and up. Anybody have one yet to give report on? I am currently looking for a small electric splitter for my garage. Any assistance is appreciated.

I just bought one and started using it. It is not a bad little unit. It works decent, I split tamarack wood which tough green or dry and it does okay, sure beats using a maul. I just do not like 2 hand controls, I would rather have a single hand operation.

I to am curious how it compares to teh ryobi and others...

a couple questions:

1) how far does the ram travel( how close the the splitter does it get)
2) how fast does it cycle?

adkdadto4 said:
I to am curious how it compares to teh ryobi and others...

a couple questions:

1) how far does the ram travel( how close the the splitter does it get)
2) how fast does it cycle?

Sorry, I have been on the road.

1) From memmory I think @4 inches from the splitter, I have to use a peice of wood to finish some splits.
2) Not sure never timed it, but it is slow

It does look alot like the ryobi (the motor and cylinder). One of these days I need to make it over to my buddies house and check out his Ryobi, he seen mine and said they look identical.

Doug

clark_bailey said:
I see where wally world will deliver one to your walmart store for 243.00 bucks. Add says 4 ton electric splitter, looks alot like the others out there for 299 and up. Anybody have one yet to give report on? I am currently looking for a small electric splitter for my garage. Any assistance is appreciated.

I am interested in this splitter too but the Walmart site says currently unavailable.. Did you get one and how does it perform especially on gnarlier wood such as oak crotches? If it can't handle this I can't either.. Been dealing with tendonitis for months from splitting with a wedge and sledge and can't do it anymore.. Can't justify the money for a gas unit nor do I want the noise and maintenance issues either..

Ray

I can't even find it on the Wal-Mart website, if someone finds it, post a link so I can monitor it to see if it comes back up. Otherwise, it may be just done for at this point and no longer available.

Danno77 said:
I can't even find it on the Wal-Mart website, if someone finds it, post a link so I can monitor it to see if it comes back up. Otherwise, it may be just done for at this point and no longer available.

Dan,
The way I found it was by googling it and it brings up the page with the pic and says currently unavailable.. Apparently it is the same as the McCulloch or branded by them too? I am interested in the Ryobi as well but it goes for $299.00 and can't locate a coupon for it.. If I did get one I would definately want to set it up on sawhorses or similar as it is low to the ground..

Ray

raybonz said:
clark_bailey said:
Can't justify the money for a gas unit nor do I want the noise and maintenance issues either..

Ray

Maintenance issues? When it is 10 years old maybe.

raybonz said:
clark_bailey said:

I am interested in this splitter too but the Walmart site says currently unavailable.. Did you get one and how does it perform especially on gnarlier wood such as oak crotches? If it can't handle this I can't either.. Been dealing with tendonitis for months from splitting with a wedge and sledge and can't do it anymore.. Can't justify the money for a gas unit nor do I want the noise and maintenance issues either..

Ray

If your wanting an electric one and a 4-Ton, here's one for a little more cash.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I don't know anything about this splitter... Just trying to help you out.

Billster said:
raybonz said:
clark_bailey said:

Ray

If your wanting an electric one and a 4-Ton, here's one for a little more cash.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I don't know anything about this splitter... Just trying to help you out.

Thanx I appreciate that! Looked at those and they are rated pretty good and they do have a 2 yr. warranty.. I may go that route just exploring all my options.. Hoping those who own them here give more feedback especially those who split oak which is mostly what I have around here...

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.