Woodstock Fireview break in fire and surface temp ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clambdin

Jan 29, 2006
Im taking delivery of a new fireview in about a month what kind of max surface temps are you running on this stove and what kind of break in process is required ? Thanks !

Congratulations on the new stove cll. You will love it!

Our break in was done first with only kindling. Light it and let it burn itself out. Second time we added a couple small sticks to the kindling, light it and let it burn out. Third time we added 3 logs to the kindling and lit it and let it burn out. All was then ready for a full burn.

Surface temperatures can vary, but ours usually run from 250 up to 600 with an occasional burn over 600. I don't think we've ever gone to or above 650. You will get a stove thermometer with the stove. Put it on top close to the center. When the temperature gets to 250, engage the cat., adjust the draft and forget about it until it needs wood. btw, each setup will depend upon where you set the draft. On ours, once the cat. is engaged, we set the draft on 1/4-1/2 maximum. It might take a while to find the exact way to run your stove but it doesn't take a lot of intelligence to figure it out. It is very easy, and please do not hesitate to ask more questions as you start using the stove. Either call Woodstock, post here or send me a PM. Todd is more of an expert on the Fireview than I am so don't be afraid to ask him also.

Good luck.

cll said:
Im taking delivery of a new fireview in about a month what kind of max surface temps are you running on this stove and what kind of break in process is required ? Thanks !

Last winter (first year burning) I would typically see 550-575 on the top surface. This year I have better quality / drier wood so I expect to see temps a bit higher.

Congrats on the new stove. Ditto on what Backwoods said. I broke mine in the same way. Don't be surprised to see some sizzling moisture escaping from the stone and mortar joints. Follow the directions in the manual and you can't go wrong. My full load winter time stove top temps run from 550-650 at the air setting set half way between 0 and 1. I did hit 700 a couple times and 725 once. I think my draft was a little too strong with my 22' 5.5" liner so I installed a pipe damper to slow her down. Have any pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.