woodstock fireview used???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdubs20

Nov 2, 2014
Northern NY
I found a very nice used 3 year old woodstock fireview for sale on CL. I haven't checked it out in person yet as its 2 hours away. The guy says it is in great condition and it looks like it from the pictures. The price seems great at asking $850. What do you guys think of the fireview and is that a good deal for one thats 3 years old? I am planning on putting in my basement for a mancave remodel!

That is a steal of a deal for a 3 yr old Fireview. I wouldn't snooze on that if really interested. At that price it should sell quickly.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Looked at craigslist here last week. Somebody had put up an ad for a nice looking Fireview listed as an "antique stove" for $300 in the house they had just bought. By the time I could dial the number it was gone. :mad:

Reactions: Woody Stover
Ouch. Perhaps I should have said VERY quickly. I missed a year old Fireview 8 yrs ago for $1000 and thought that a great deal back then.

Wow, that's a smokin' "hot" deal, like 1/3 price! :eek: Call the guy and tell him you want the first crack at it, and make an appointment to look at it. In the meantime, search this forum for used Fireview threads, they will tell you what to look for as far as possible over-firing. When you get there, ask him how to run the stove, temps on the stove meter, etc. and you should get a good idea if he knew what he was doing. If it's metallic blue, so much the better. >>

Hopefully rdubs has already left the room and is on his way.

Hopefully rdubs has already left the room and is on his way.
Maybe he can read the threads on his phone, if traffic is light. ;)

Fireviews seem to be just about the only Woodstock stove I ever see for sale used. They seem to come up fairly often at decent prices. I always question them for just that reason. Woodstock makes awesome stoves but is there something with the fireview that people seem to regularly send them packing. There's one local to me right now for $750. Just a few weeks ago there was one up near Chicago for $500. I search for wood stove deals fairly often and there always seems to be a deal to be had on a fireview.

It was their best seller for many years. Not sure if that is still true now that they have expanded selection. Folks may be upgrading for increased capacity and a less dated look.

Fireviews seem to be just about the only Woodstock stove I ever see for sale used. They seem to come up fairly often at decent prices. I always question them for just that reason. Woodstock makes awesome stoves but is there something with the fireview that people seem to regularly send them packing. There's one local to me right now for $750. Just a few weeks ago there was one up near Chicago for $500. I search for wood stove deals fairly often and there always seems to be a deal to be had on a fireview.

As BeGreen said, the Fireview has been a very popular stove for a number of years and for a long time was receiving accolades by a lot of folks for its long burn and beauty. I suspect the reason you seem to only be seeing the Fireviews up for sale is not due to any defects, but rather because there just are so many of them out there compared to their newer stove models which offer more contemporary designs (i.e. modern, less Victorian looking) and newer tech (i.e. hybrid cat/secondary burners).

Thanks guys for all the responses. There is no phone number and I asked the gentleman to email me some pics of the firebox. The stove is 2 hours away and I am not in that big of a hurry to get one, but it does sound like a hell of a deal! I might check it out sometime this week if I can.

I'm not knocking woodstock in any way, it just always has made me question the fireview. I see a decent amount of them that are not very old up for sale fairly often. I actually love the look of them but they are a bit undersized for my very old, very drafty place.

Somebody had put up an ad for a nice looking Fireview listed as an "antique stove" for $300 in the house they had just bought.
New homeowners may be how a lot of them become available, or maybe older folks who pass on and the heirs sell the stove. My SIL got hers for $350 from a new homeowner. It was over ten years old when she got it though. If 'laypersons' stumble into one, I don't think they usually realize what a gem it is. Only reason I kept the Keystone instead was for the ash grate and bigger window. The Fireview was definitely a notch above in radiation and heat output.
I asked the gentleman to email me some pics of the firebox. The stove is 2 hours away and I am not in that big of a hurry to get one, but it does sound like a hell of a deal! I might check it out sometime this week if I can.
The way that rock radiates, it would be ideal in the basement. It kept us toasty even when room temp was down a bit. It's a real easy stove to run, and totally controllable. If you are lucky enough to score it, you'll be glad you did.

Real estate agents are good sources too. Lots of them tell home sellers to "get that thing out of here" before they show the house.

I reluctanty sold my Fireview and bought the bigger Progress. I loved the Fireview but I extra love the Progress' longer burn times.

Last edited:
I have actually been considering a progress for the last couple years but just can't get my self to spend the money.

I have actually been considering a progress for the last couple years but just can't get my self to spend the money.

I got one about 3 years ago and have been toasty warm ever since. Yes it was a lot of money, and a pain to arrange shipping from the truck terminal, but I'm glad I did it

As to looks, it has a good acceptance factor by people who know little about wood stoves.. it is described as beautiful

And efficiency.. wow. I use half the wood that I used to use with my old smoke dragon ( a Jotul combifire)

How do you heat your very drafty and very old place now? A fuel efficient stove could save you $$$$
He's got an Englander 30-NC in his sig now. If he's OK with the looks of a plate-steel stove he could go with a Woodstock Absolute or Ideal and get off cheaper...

Reactions: chance04
Status
Not open for further replies.