Woodstock hybrids (Progress, Ideal Steel, Absolute Steel)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matthewD

Nov 10, 2020
Iowa
Can anyone tell me if the stovetops of these come/lift off entirely (to service the catalytic combustor)? Or are the stovetops hinged/permanently attached and can only be folded/lifted back?
Thanks in advance!

The top lid can be completely removed from the Progress to replace the combustor. Takes about 120 seconds to replace the cat. You can find all the Woodstock stove maintenance manuals at Woodstove.com and click on the MANUALS tab.

Reactions: toddnic
The top lid can be completely removed from the Progress to replace the combustor. Takes about 120 seconds to replace the cat. You can find all the Woodstock stove maintenance manuals at Woodstove.com and click on the MANUALS tab.
Thanks so much for your info! I'm happy to hear that the top lid can be removed. So, when you need to access the cat - can the lid be slid off to the side? or, does the lid need to be opened/elevated and then removed? The stove will be partially in my fireplace and the lintel would be in the way, so would only be able to open/ lift the lid a couple inches to remove.

On the Progress, the top three stones are first removed (lifted off) which exposes the cast iron cooktop. Normally you would then lift the front of the cooktop and hinge it towards the rear where it's self supported in the open (vertical) position by a raised lip.

In your case with the Lintel in the way the cooktop could be slid forward and then lifted off.

On the Progress, the top three stones are first removed (lifted off) which exposes the cast iron cooktop. Normally you would then lift the front of the cooktop and hinge it towards the rear where it's self supported in the open (vertical) position by a raised lip.

In your case with the Lintel in the way the cooktop could be slid forward and then lifted off.
Thanks, this is super helpful information - I'd love to hear from others regarding the Woodstock Ideal Steel and Absolute Steel stoves - are the lids/stovetops removeable in the same way?

I own the Ideal Steel, the top (at least how I do it) simply lifts up and rests on the stove pipe. First remove the trivets (if you have them) then flip the lid/top up. The Ideal Steel has a heavy metal sled that covers the catalyst so next you'd remove that. Then just simply lift out the catalyst, clean or replace, then set it back in, put back the metal sled, and then flip the heavy lid back down (carefully, don't slam it like a car hood lol) and replace trivets if you have them.

Reactions: matthewD
I own the Ideal Steel, the top (at least how I do it) simply lifts up and rests on the stove pipe. First remove the trivets (if you have them) then flip the lid/top up. The Ideal Steel has a heavy metal sled that covers the catalyst so next you'd remove that. Then just simply lift out the catalyst, clean or replace, then set it back in, put back the metal sled, and then flip the heavy lid back down (carefully, don't slam it like a car hood lol) and replace trivets if you have them.

That's the "problem", he can't tilt it up like a car hood because he's sliding this thing into a fireplace with a low lintel.