Woodstock Ideal Steel owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes. They were out of stock! It is coming Monday. Meanwhile only getting 2hrs at 500+ 2hrs at 350 and then about 300 for 2 or so. Only 6 hrs right now. Hope I can do 8-10 when that cat shows up. Any experience you have would be great!
You think the cat will give you 10 hour burns? I am looking at the Ideal Steel and a Jotul F55. The f55 is rated for 10 hours with a 3 cubic ft. firebox. Not sure which way to go yet. Ideal is cheaper with more value.

Reactions: Woody Stover
IS will go 10-12 easily. Just not in single digit weather we are having now. I would assume the progress would do much the same

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Did they advise it would be ok to burn with no cat? I know if my IS didn't have a cat in place there wouldn't be much point in operating the bypass. I don't have a PH but I would have to assume much the same holds true

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes just to get by. Bypass open and half throttle.... until then

Reactions: chance04
Just got home from helping my dad fix his truck and the stove top is at 225, cat probe at 650, and stove front next to probe hole is still 415 with plenty of radiant heat still being felt from 10ft away. All from tje load this morning still. I will also add that it seems to take a full day of running to get everything warmed up to where it really throws the radiant heat. I can also squeak an extra hour or 2 of useable heat out of the stove if I can be home to keep bumping the air open.
Thx for all your input. The catalyst can't come fast enough at 8 degrees. I do load east west and then fill cubbies holes. My wood is split rather large but not too big. Moisture 10%. I will get back to ya once I have this running a bit with the cat. Thx again.

You think the cat will give you 10 hour burns? I am looking at the Ideal Steel and a Jotul F55. The f55 is rated for 10 hours with a 3 cubic ft. firebox. Not sure which way to go yet. Ideal is cheaper with more value.
I'm running a 12-14 hour reload schedule with mine and not having any issues. Plenty of hot coals for a reload. Remeber you have to take burn times with a grain of salt. It could just be referring to the time from when the match was lit to the last few embers left in the stove, not enough for a relight/reload.

I am getting 8-10 hours of very useable heat out of the Ideal Steel and can extend that by an hour or 2 if I can open the air up to keep the coaling stage hot. I'm heating 3100 sq ft new construction from an unfinished (insulated but not sheetrocked basement). Haven't had the furnace run but for a few minutes in the morning with the -20 lows we've been having. Running the stove on medium for temps 0 and below, Air setting one or two ticks below half. Anything above 0 and the stove is just ran normal to heat in my situation, no reason to runn it super hard. I have fans strategically placed running on medium/high and my hvac fan running 24/7 during the super cold temps. Low double digits and warmer I can turn the fans to medium only. 20s I run fans on low and hvac fan on circulate (intermittently). Upstairs ceiling fans are always on reverse flow and low. Also jave to take into account my solar gain. I get a 2-3 degree temp rise out of the sun during the day even in the negative temps. If I don't get any solar gain the stove is hard pressed to provide the sole heat but it can be done with a little extra babysitting. My furnace kicks on at 68 degrees and the stove takes over from there up to 74-75 at times in temps below the 32 mark and having the sun help out.

I will say though that I have a well insulated house and what I would consider good stove placement in the basement for heating the whole house.

Taken standing in front of stove towards stairs:
20170122_070327.jpg
Up the first set of stairs:
20170122_070339.jpg
Standing in the landing turned up the rest of the stairway into the main living area:
20170122_070349.jpg
Standing half way to the entrance of the short hallway (12 ft long) to the 3 bedrooms looking toward the stair well:
20170122_070416.jpg
The stair well is centrally located offset to one side of the upstairs:
Screenshot_20180106-231927.png

Last edited by a moderator:
stove top is at 225, cat probe at 650, and stove front next to probe hole is still 415
Is your stove top meter over the cat? Mine is, and that is the hottest part of my stove. It can be at 600+ and the sides and front will be 300-400. That could be due in part to the fact the the side of the stove I usually IR has double stone..the cast iron door is hotter than the soapstone areas but not as hot as the top.

Last edited:
Is your stove top meter over the cat? Mine is, and that is the hottest part of my stove. It can be at 600+ and the sides and front will be 300-400. That could be due in part to the fact the the side of the stove I usually IR has double stone..the cast iron door is hotter than the soapstone areas but not as hot as the top.
I have it right next to the flue exit. Those temps were shot with an IR. I take my top reading on the little spot just left of where the flue collar is.
20180109_172558.jpg
Red= IR temp reading area
Blue= Stove top thermo location

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woody Stover
Just got home from helping my dad fix his truck and the stove top is at 225, cat probe at 650, and stove front next to probe hole is still 415 with plenty of radiant heat still being felt from 10ft away. All from tje load this morning still. I will also add that it seems to take a full day of running to get everything warmed up to where it really throws the radiant heat. I can also squeak an extra hour or 2 of useable heat out of the stove if I can be home to keep bumping the air open.
So I have been running my stove for a few days now with the cat. It's been working great and I've been monkeying around with the settings. I did buy the 3 12 1 probe which I had on my last stove and makes it idiot proof. Are usually will burn from 730 like yourself in the morning and then come home and load it at 5 or 6. When the temperatures are above 30 or so I can do 12 hour burn times. When they're in the teens and 20s I do eight hour burn times. I'm glad I went through all the trouble and it was a lot of trouble to return my old Sequoia which is a great flamethrower and install this one. It doesn't put out as much heat but overall a better stove and the glass is just money. I appreciate all of your detail and being kind enough to help me out thanks again

Reactions: Sconnie Burner