Newburnerwisconsin Posted By Newburnerwisconsin, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:33 PM

1. Newburnerwisconsin

Newburnerwisconsin
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jul 8, 2015
    Loc:
    wisconsin
    How do you like your stove? Would you get the ash pan? Any dislikes? How many square ft. are you heating? Thanks!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    I'm not an IS owner but I can tell you that a grated ash system is da cheese. >> Once you have it, you'll never want to go back. I got spoiled on the grates about 15 years ago.

3. Devonian

Devonian
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 7, 2017
    Loc:
    Maryland
    This is my first woodstove so I don't have anything to compare it to but I've had an Ideal Steel for a few weeks now.

My house is an almost 3000 sqft rancher and so far it does seem like I'll be able to heat the entire house but it's going to take some experimentation with moving air around.

Since I've gotten the stove hooked up the main furnace hasn't turned on once. I've been working on getting the heat back to the bedrooms and I've had some success there which has reduced the need for the back furnace to kick on but it does still run to keep the bedrooms at temperature we like.

Being a total newbie I don't have any real insight into the ash pan but I'm glad I got one and it's really easy and mess free to use.

Tell us about your house.

4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    That's all the insight you need. Any other method of ash removal, be it an ash dump or shoveling 'em out !!! is never going to be as easy or mess-free. Multiply that by the number of times you are going do it over the life of the stove, and deciding weather to get the ash grate becomes a no-brainer...for me, anyway. Now, some people enjoy shoveling 'em out, like the guy in the DIRECTV commercial who enjoys banging his head into the rafters. ;lol
    He's been on an epic search. ==c https://www.hearth.com/talk/search/48750763/

5. Cold Holland

Cold Holland
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Holland, Michigan
    I am waiting on my IS meanwhile working a kuma that heats great but glass is just black as nite, always. Had a lopi 1750 insert for 5 yrs and was not very effective. Can't wait to see that huge glass door! Also Devonian would love to hear your results! My home is 2000sq ft with loft with some good size cieling. The kuma has a cat and I like the savings on wood, just wish I could see what's going on in that firebox.

6. Sconnie Burner

Sconnie Burner
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Western Wi
    Have an Ideal Steel installed in an unfinished basement of a 3100 sq ft rambler w/ vaulted ceilings in main living area, in Western Wi. It does an excelent job heating! Does way better than I expected it would thats for sure. I use a combination of a fan blowing across the top, a fan blowing towards the stove at the bottom of the steps, and the hvac fan running on circulate cycling on and off every 1/2 hour. Keeps the temps as warm as I want them anywhere in the house and still making good heat at the 10 hour mark.

Insulation and airsealing will be key to be using it as a whole house heater though. And a good stash of dry wood also.

ddddddden likes this.
  7. branchburner

branchburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 27, 2008
    Loc:
    southern NH
    Yes to the ash pan. Great stove, but I actually preferred the slightly smaller Absolute Steel because it was a side loader (less ash and smoke spill, easier to load and max out the firebox volume, even though that volume was a bit less).

Woody Stover likes this.
  8. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Do tell. That's an interesting observation. Were you loading the Ideal Steel E/W? Any other insights and comparisons between the 2 stoves?

9. Woody Stover

Woody Stover
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 25, 2010
    Loc:
    Southern IN
    Indeed it will be interesting to hear branchburner's comparisons. I also need to look up his threads again on the Absolute beta test he did.
    My observation on different stoves entirely..Man, that radiation blast when I opened the front door on the Buck 91 would broil me in short order. But I was loading N-S so it wasn't quite as bad as E-W would have been, sticking both arms in there. I like the side door since it allows me to jockey the splits for the tightest fit, out of the direct radiation from the coals. I need to do that in my small Keystone firebox when it gets cold out and I want as long a burn as possible at as high an output as possible. You can really see well from the side as to which split is going to fit where..
    The AS, though smaller than the IS, still has a bigger box than the Fireview..I'm guessing at least 2.2 cu.ft. usable judging from what I measured the Fv and Ks at, compared to published specs.

ddddddden likes this.
  10. chance04

chance04
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Nov 22, 2014
    Loc:
    Eastern Shore MD
    After reconfiguring my stack, I was rewarded with almost no smoke or ash spillage with our IS. Something the old dutchwest never had a problem with when side loading. But I'll take 10-12 hour burns any day of the week over the neverburns 3 hour cycles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner©
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 20, 2010
    Loc:
    Center of Ohio
    I've had 4 wood stoves at this place and finally settled on the IS. Very happy with it though I have yet to fire it up this season (trying to get a large enough pot to do the combustor vinegar boil). I'd much rather had a side loader too, since my wood stack is next to the stove. Or at least the door opening the other way - right now my wood stack is right of the stove but the door opens on the left.

12. toddnic

toddnic
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 13, 2013
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    I have the Woodstock Progress Hybrid and I would definitely get the ash pan! It makes life so much easier when dealing with the ash.

Joyboy likes this.
  13. JA600L

JA600L
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 30, 2013
    Loc:
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    This stove makes wood heating easy. I will say that it is extremely sensitive to draft. Not enough means smoke spillage. Too much means going through wood quicker. The good news is that a little fine tuning of the air control and exhaust damper and it works perfect. I work 10-12 hours a day all year and the 1800 sqft house is nice and warm when I get home and then for a while after that too.

14. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner©
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 20, 2010
    Loc:
    Center of Ohio
    The PH has a little better ash pan I think, but yeah I would definitely get it on the IS. Just takes a little bit more moving the ashes around since the grate is just in the center area not the entire bottom like the PH.