Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So, daylight savings time (aka summer time in most of the rest of the world) should be implemented all year, not only during summer...?

The point is that when it never changed, it was the time as you have now, i.e. the winter time. Daylight savings time is the shift in time that is implemented in summer. Precisely the daylight shifted to later hours.

You want *only* daylight savings time...

The point is that when it never changed, it was the time as you have now, i.e. the winter time. Daylight savings time is the shift in time that is implemented in summer. Precisely the daylight shifted to later hours.

You want *only* daylight savings time...
We were central time in the winter and eastern time in the summer. So we never changed time. It gets dark at 5:30 now instead of 6:30.

I hate the change . . . partly due to the fact that I have a half billion clocks to reset, but mostly because in another month or so I will be leaving for work in the dark (6:30 a.m.) and getting home in the dark (4:45 p.m.)

A96B7422-388F-4FEB-A213-3C3559A1049A.jpeg

The. Wood. Is. In.
!!

About 5 cords from the drying stacks now in the woodshed connected to my garage.

Kicking back with a nice scotch.

Nice work, are you going to get hit with the storm system coming in?
Thanks.

We may get some rain this Thursday, then (maybe) a couple inches of snow come Saturday. Hard to predict as we are on the Keweenaw peninsula. It’s technically an island since we are surrounded on 3 sides by Lake Superior and the other by a small lake that separates us from the mainland. The water provides a constant source of unforeseen variables to forecasters. So, who knows?

Thanks.

We may get some rain this Thursday, then (maybe) a couple inches of snow come Saturday. Hard to predict as we are on the Keweenaw peninsula. It’s technically an island since we are surrounded on 3 sides by Lake Superior and the other by a small lake that separates us from the mainland. The water provides a constant source of unforeseen variables to forecasters. So, who knows?
We have Lake Ontario southwest of us, there are times when the heavy snows stay south of us by 8 miles but other times we get hit hard.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I can feel it in the air---its coming--bet you a beer...lol...praying we get some here so that I can load up my wood stove with wood,,...yes...clancey

Reactions: thewoodlands
I can feel it in the air---its coming--bet you a beer...lol...praying we get some here so that I can load up my wood stove with wood,,...yes...clancey
We don't have any real cold weather in the long range forecast but that could change real quick.

The backs feeling better so tomorrow I'll take a run back in and split some ash.

The two pictures of the fox were taken on 8/24/16 when it was laying on top of some pine.

102_0321.JPG 104_2447.JPG 104_2448.JPG 102_0323.JPG

How pretty and have not saw a red fox in person in years although my pigeons would not like it. Looks like a young one...The weather today was a little windy and chilly about 50-60 degrees and it became cloudy and now its dropping right now to about 40---all guessing here for I have not listened to the weather yet but its getting "colder" with a chill in the air and I put a heater on low in the birdie house..Tonight I will bet a better read on it--not paying attention that much but feel something coming--lol lol--going by instinct--lol...take a easy with that back and soak yourself in epson salts that will help the muscles and make the soap more slippery...and softer feeling..--lol..That's all us hard workers need softer feeling soap..ha pretty pictures--thanks..clancey

I haven't opened this thread in a while... @thewoodlands has been busy as usual. This last weekend I was home for a couple of days and because the tie rod ends for my wife's van weren't in yet I got to help move the rest of this years wood supply into the garage. Now, I've been telling the boys for 3 months to do half a dozen loads each every other day and it would have been done over a month ago; but noooo, we didn't do that.... Also loaded the trailer with pine today so I'm not hauling empty when I head home again Friday.

I haven't opened this thread in a while... @thewoodlands has been busy as usual. This last weekend I was home for a couple of days and because the tie rod ends for my wife's van weren't in yet I got to help move the rest of this years wood supply into the garage. Now, I've been telling the boys for 3 months to do half a dozen loads each every other day and it would have been done over a month ago; but noooo, we didn't do that.... Also loaded the trailer with pine today so I'm not hauling empty when I head home again Friday.
Two more face cord for me and then it will be work around the house with a chainsaw on some dead pine and hopefully some trail work before the snow hits the ground and then just enjoy the winter.

Even though you ended up doing it, the wood is in the garage, that has to be a good feeling. Even though our tractor battery is still good (it's a 2016) I ordered a new one through our Mahindra dealer, its been almost two months and it still isn't in.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I have 30 minutes left splitting from my 2 "summer loads" of logs. Each load made about 2 cord. Once CSS, I move on to 2 more log loads from September: probably another 4+ cord. That will live in rounds on pallets until we shut down the stove in spring 2022. Despite cleaning out more and more barn space, I am FULL. I am not a summer woodcutting guy--bring on the teen and single digits, but this was too good to pass up (father in-law delivered and let me run his truck, paid the gas to get rid of these logs).

Thewoodlands I see you have been staying busy like usual. Looks good. The temps have been pretty mild lately so no fires. The wind changed this afternoon at work we were putting in some tower lines up by the lake so I got pretty chilled. So I decided to fire up both stoves too take the chill out of the house. I'm hoping to fill the garage up tomorrow before the rain comes in this weekend. The time change makes the days seem so short nothing better than working by head lamps or tractor lights now.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Been downright balmy by our standards for this time of year. Had cracked on the first fire of this fall last week for 2 days. Saw this evening that it is finally getting a lot colder north and west of us, so sounds like we will be firing up this weekend with lower temps plus wind and mixed water coming.

Been downright balmy by our standards for this time of year. Had cracked on the first fire of this fall last week for 2 days. Saw this evening that it is finally getting a lot colder north and west of us, so sounds like we will be firing up this weekend with lower temps plus wind and mixed water coming.
@rottiman , it has been warmer over in our area too so we're still burning pine. How have you been?

Thewoodlands I see you have been staying busy like usual. Looks good. The temps have been pretty mild lately so no fires. The wind changed this afternoon at work we were putting in some tower lines up by the lake so I got pretty chilled. So I decided to fire up both stoves too take the chill out of the house. I'm hoping to fill the garage up tomorrow before the rain comes in this weekend. The time change makes the days seem so short nothing better than working by head lamps or tractor lights now.
My goal was to only have one area that needed filling next spring instead of two, I'm almost there. The second part was dropping some weight before the festive season kicks off on Thanksgiving, I did that by dropping 26 plus pounds.

not bad for a old lad................. Retirement makes it a whole lot easier but I'm not complaining. Things good on your side of the border???
Pretty good so far and you're correct, retirement makes it easier.

Reactions: rottiman
The second part was dropping some weight before the festive season kicks off on Thanksgiving, I did that by dropping 26 plus pounds.

Good for you. We are all better off getting that under control. I started keto dieting on the 1st of March this year and have dropped 86 lbs. so far. Can't believe how much better it feels. Keep at it, it pays dividends for sure.