Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Even though I had cleaned the pellet stove months back, I changed the gasket on the blower motor so that is ready for the colder/coldest weather when we use it at night so it cranks out the heat when the stove starts cooling off.

I decided that the blower motor on the wood stove would get cleaned out with some air so I took that off and outside so that job is done and some of the ashes would get cleaned out of the wood stove.

I shut the stove down last night as it is up to 45 here. Will clean out the ashes and re fire when it drops below 32 again.
It's a good thing I cleaned out most of the outside fireplace yesterday with the tractor, that's where todays ash dump went.

Been downright balmy by our standards for this time of year. Had cracked on the first fire of this fall last week for 2 days. Saw this evening that it is finally getting a lot colder north and west of us, so sounds like we will be firing up this weekend with lower temps plus wind and mixed water coming.
@rottiman , I thought that the weight loss had ended but this morning I weighed in at 204.4 which is a loss of 30 pounds. I've had some bread the last two days and more tonight, hopefully I start adding and not losing more but I have room for plenty of what the wife is cooking on Thanksgiving.

We had snow and wind today but once things calmed down, I filled up two five gallon diesel cans. What are you getting for weather?

I am sure glad you people are getting ready for its coming at least towards the mid west for now but it will change direction maybe to the east and towards lower Michigan...at least that's what I think I heard..For my weather if this warm climate maintains until Monday here we break a record for no snow this late...But they say its coming about Wed "maybe" we get snow here in the city...Enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family and eat real well even if you have to buy a expensive turkey if you can get one...enjoy and eat that stuffing too...old clancey

I had a maple top on part of the main trail so before I mother nature gives a good snowfall, I took care of it and got some limb wood. I also had a top from a beech so I grabbed some limb wood off that.

Picture 2496 is the maple top in the main trail, 2497 is after I cut some limb wood and moved the rest, 2498 is the maple limb wood, 2500 is the beech top, 2501 is the beech limb wood, 2503 & 04 is a maple that has some rot going on up top, if I get time this year I'll bring it home, 2505 is some rotten wood that I removed from the main trail, 2506 is where it came down across the trail and 2507 are some stumps I cut down back in the area we call the sandpit.

104_2496.JPG 104_2497.JPG 104_2498.JPG 104_2500.JPG 104_2501.JPG 104_2503.JPG 104_2504.JPG 104_2505.JPG 104_2506.JPG 104_2507.JPG

hm, prevailing westerly winds there... And no thunderstorms I can see coming.

Normal gamble then: by Wed. the 29th (b/c some showers before that...).

lol. Good I don't make my money forecasting anything :p

Well, that goofy, leaning pile of oak finally came down last night. Here's what it looked like yesterday. I took a picture because it had visibly shifted and was leaning more so I knew it was gonna go soon.
IMG_20211121_150156.jpg
Here's what it looked like today.
IMG_20211122_162142.jpg

@stoveliker you were the only one who made a guess as to when it would fall over, so you win by default.

Well, that goofy, leaning pile of oak finally came down last night. Here's what it looked like yesterday. I took a picture because it had visibly shifted and was leaning more so I knew it was gonna go soon.
View attachment 286075
Here's what it looked like today.
View attachment 286076

@stoveliker you were the only one who made a guess as to when it would fall over, so you win by default.

Lol, I'm honored. Only two months off :)

Got my first delivery of the year fully processed. Was about 1.5-2 cords of maple/red oak logs and got it done in about week which I was pretty happy with. I do all the bucking then the whole gang helps split and stack. A crisp fall/winter day with friends, good music, beer, and a fiskars is good day!

This is wood for 2024/25 so I just have it on a pallet island in the back of my lot for now. I have 8 x 1 cord racks set up for for fast drying and the rest on pallets where I can fit it. I'll rotate this wood to the racks once we burn through a few. Gotta get creative when storing 15 cords on 1 acre and the wife not wanting to lose too much yard! I'll be building a proper shed one day when there's extra $.

20211109_155654.jpg
20211111_153530.jpg
1637262680017.jpg
1637427142058.jpg
20211121_150815.jpg

MMH, I think I said on your "what wood is this" thread that it was Red Elm. I was mistaken. It is Siberian Elm. Siberian elm is an invasive tree that can live in extreme conditions - low water, high cold. So the Southwest USA (NM, NV, UT, CO, southern ID, etc..). BTU wise it is about the same as Red Elm. Red Elm doesn't grow in the western US. Siberian elm, being so tough, can grow anywhere.

With NOAA calling for over 8 inches of snow for our area, I had a bunch of work that had to be done before it hits.

We had plenty of rain overnight with it still raining when I went out this morning. I used the Mahindra 4540 first, I moved some rocks over to the fireplace and started building one corner up. I back dragged a few areas that I removed some stumps, I changed over to the forks and then started moving stumps out of some plow zones and the finally I put the snow plow on the 4540 if I need it tomorrow.

After I put the tractor away, I jumped in the RTV and started removing some pine that was down in certain areas. I put away some tarps that were on the ground that we used to cover the pine we burned this year.

I cleaned both saws, might need them tomorrow if we get wind with the snow, I'll put some sharp chains on them in the morning.

I just put some wood in the garage and enjoyed the day off today. We had some snow flurries but nothing is really sticking. The temps have dropped to about freezing, which I wouldn't mind would like to not be in the mud for a little outside work.

Your pictures of table set ups and now set up's of the wonderful looking food is just great..Don't work too hard relax a bit and enjoy the holidays and eat and eat and eat...clancey

Reactions: thewoodlands
Your pictures of table set ups and now set up's of the wonderful looking food is just great..Don't work too hard relax a bit and enjoy the holidays and eat and eat and eat...clancey
lol, and then work hard again to keep your shape :cool:

Reactions: thewoodlands
The wife set the table and cooked the meal, I did peel the potatoes. We had our neighbor up so we had a great meal followed by dessert.

We have some nice meals planned but we won't do them one after another like we did for the festive season last year.

We ended up with just a dusting here last night. How much snow are you looking at getting there thewoodlands?