Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You better smile and when was the last time you peeled potatoes? lol---Make sure you do the dishes too...spoil your family--yes..clancey
Yesterday.
And dishes, yesterday. But I'm trying to get the kids to do that...

You better smile and when was the last time you peeled potatoes? lol---Make sure you do the dishes too...spoil your family--yes..clancey
I see you're in for some warm temps, if this keeps up for your area, you'll never get burning 24/7.

I finished up some plowing after being gone for half a day, I think at the end of this week I'll take the backhoe off for the winter.

One of the areas I cleaned out was in front of the outside fireplace, it's almost time I get rid of some pine.

I put 3 tanks of gas through the saw this weekend. Here's the stack so far. I had to bring out the big guns (5 y/o and 3 y/o boys) yesterday--hand-me-down coat from the big sister is looking good. They did great--cleaned up branches, bark, vines, etc. and put on a burn pile for later disposal. they both drove the little Kubota a bit too (the 3 y/o needs some practice). 23-24 or 24-25 wood. I'll split it all this spring of 22 once we shut down the stove for the year (i.e., we're fuller than we've ever been with logs to spare). Pallets reach 35', will be stacked in rounds 2 deep. Hopyard is in the background--sleeping for the off-season.

IMG_20211130_091358.jpg IMG_20211130_091351.jpg PXL_20211128_191657213.jpg

Last edited:
I put 3 tanks of gas through the saw this weekend. Here's the stack so far. I had to bring out the big guns (5 y/o and 3 y/o boys) yesterday--hand-me-down coat from the big sister is looking good. They did great--cleaned up branches, bark, vines, etc. and put on a burn pile for later disposal. they both drove the little Kubota a bit too (the 3 y/o needs some practice). 23-24 or 24-25 wood. I'll split it all this spring of 22 once we shut down the stove for the year (i.e., we're fuller than we've ever been with logs to spare). Pallets reach 35', will be stacked in rounds 2 deep. Hopyard is in the background--sleeping for the off-season.

View attachment 286734 View attachment 286735 View attachment 286736
Nice work @ClintonH , it's always nice when you see the kids outside helping and it looks like you had some nice weather.

I went around the house property getting any dead downed wood near the trails and cut some smaller dead pine down and we had a fire. I hauled 10 - 12 loads over to the outside fireplace.

The garbage can in the picture is for any ashes from the wood stove, once it's full I'll move it off the driveway, we'll use the ash on it when the driveway gets ice on it.

104_2551.JPG 104_2552.JPG

Reactions: heavy hammer
With rain coming in tonight and tomorrow, we put in two loads of firewood. I also plowed the two inches of new snow off the driveway and then scraped it down good, I'm hoping the rains get through what's left down to the driveway with minimal ice left after it freezes.

I finished splitting and stacking the stuff I had piled in front of the wood shed, half of it was an Austrian pine that was in the yard I took down, the other half was Apple wood from some trees I had to remove for a customer. The remainder of the bay will be filled with the stacks I had outside. Sadly, they are not getting dry enough, so restacking inside is in order. B45D7C9D-F9D1-4218-B3A6-D5FD9DB38591.jpeg D7A40824-7C83-4090-B6D5-35152C40FDD0.jpeg

With possible heavy rains and wind moving in on Monday, we put in another two loads of what was mostly cherry with some maple splits.

We're in the 50 - 70 mph area with a possible three quarters of an inch of rain, if we get that, I expect power outages.

windy-mondau.jpeg

Plan for the day: Final yard cleaning, drain the gas out of the mower, christmas lights going up, topping off the garage wood rack & prepping the tractor for winter snow, putting on the rear grader blade and front snow pusher, oiling the tire chains and moving the buckets from the shed to the garage incase I need them. I'm expecting snow mid-week and want to be ready. If there's time I will burn off the firepit.

20211205_152227.jpg
Got a load of oak this morning before breakfast. Seem to be getting a lot of oak lately(not complaining). Split most of it in the afternoon before it got dark.

Plan for the day: Final yard cleaning, drain the gas out of the mower, christmas lights going up, topping off the garage wood rack & prepping the tractor for winter snow, putting on the rear grader blade and front snow pusher, oiling the tire chains and moving the buckets from the shed to the garage incase I need them. I'm expecting snow mid-week and want to be ready. If there's time I will burn off the firepit.

And? Did you succeed making the day as productive as you planned? If so: hats off!

Resized_20211127_163938_7316.jpegMy last few weekends have just been carrying in wood to the garage and keeping the kindling barrel full. Temps have been warmer here. This pic is from the weekendof thanksgiving. It was a cold snowy weekend and mwe and the dogs were in the woods moving wood and doing some retrieves. My younger lab loves the pond no matter what temp. Then we went to the 50's for a few days and now back in the mid 20's. I hope the wind didn't really effect anyone that bad we had a few thousand off yesterday so we worked 16 to put people back on. In a few days they are calling for mid 40's again so back to a muddy mess.

Tomorrow I'll be checking the trails after the strong winds we had yesterday, I'm sure there will be small stuff down that will need clearing off the trail, we'll see if mother nature gives us any nice firewood.

I changed my plans from my above post, part of the day was spent cleaning up a few smaller trees that mother nature took down with the last wind event we had and most of the day was getting some smaller dead pine down, cut and then in the outside fireplace.

It snowed for a time which was nice. Picture 2554 are the two smaller trees the wind felled, I hauled over 12 loads of dead pine to the outside fireplace before I called it a day.

104_2554.JPG 104_2556.JPG 104_2557.JPG 104_2558.JPG 104_2561.JPG 104_2562.JPG 104_2563.JPG 104_2565.JPG

I just split two wheelbarrows of the pine we took down last weekend. Just as a satisfying little thing to do after work (and before dark).

Will post a pic when the last stack in the last bay is full too.

I just split two wheelbarrows of the pine we took down last weekend. Just as a satisfying little thing to do after work (and before dark).

Will post a pic when the last stack in the last bay is full too.
White Pine?

To be honest, I don't know. I can post a pic of the splits this weekend.

To be honest, I don't know. I can post a pic of the splits this weekend.
We have White Pine up here. Hopefully I'm back out there getting a few more dead White Pine on the ground tomorrow, split some and burn it up after we put in more wood.

I've always wanted to cleanup the area I've been working since there's a bunch of dead Pine standing and down.

I might stick the utility trailer in that area this winter, if I need it the tractor can pull it out.