Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
we have one here as well again thewoodlands. It has been busy at work lately with all this wind. Did you loose power?
We were lucky, we didn't lose power but the cable was out for 10-12 hours. This is our new system coming in.

image2.png

Just more pictures of some wind storm damage. Picture 2637 is part of a Beech that the top part of a Hemlock brought down after the wind snapped it off, 2638 is the same Beech. 2641 is 30 rounds of Beech coming home.

The Ironwood in picture 2645 was a double trunk tree that mother nature brought down (one side), 2646 is the area it came down in, 2647 is part of the 27 rounds I brought home, since there was no trail in to the area the Ironwood came down, I carried them up the hill in picture 2648 and 2649 is the whole load.

104_2637.JPG 104_2638.JPG 104_2641.JPG 104_2645.JPG 104_2646.JPG 104_2647.JPG 104_2648.JPG 104_2649.JPG

These pictures are of storm damage that is still in the woodlands, 2639 is a topped off Cherry, 2640 is the Cherry top, 2642 is a partially broken off Beech, 2643 & 2644 is another Beech that was blown in to another tree, hopefully mother nature brings it down.

104_2639.JPG 104_2640.JPG 104_2642.JPG 104_2643.JPG 104_2644.JPG

The wind has been keeping you busy thewoodlands. It seems every few days a system is bringing in some good wind storms. I'm jealous the time you have been spending in the woods. I have been busy with work, so very little time to spend in the woods lately. Hope everyone is good, no issues from the storms that have been blowing through.

The wind has been keeping you busy thewoodlands. It seems every few days a system is bringing in some good wind storms. I'm jealous the time you have been spending in the woods. I have been busy with work, so very little time to spend in the woods lately. Hope everyone is good, no issues from the storms that have been blowing through.
I didn't think mother nature would give us the Beech she did but we'll take it. I'm ready for a small break from cutting, we're finally getting some snow so I'm all set up with dead pine at the outside fireplace, if we get enough of snow, I'll be burning tomorrow.

So far we've been good, how about your family?

Everybody is good. Just getting ready for Christmas and trying to keep life as normal and easy as one can right now. No snow here temps are in the low 40's with rain.

Everybody is good. Just getting ready for Christmas and trying to keep life as normal and easy as one can right now. No snow here temps are in the low 40's with rain.
Sounds good. We received 2 plus inches of snow since before 12 today, we should receive another 4 by the morning.

Last edited:
It was a day running around the house lot removing some downed dead trees before our snow moved in. I did five or six different areas, all went over to the outside fireplace.

NOAA is calling for our area to receive six inches of the white stuff.

104_2654.JPG 104_2655.JPG 104_2656.JPG

We received about 2-3 inches here. The temperatures are now forecasted for the next week to be more realistic for this time of year. We are in real need of snow here. If we have a dry remaining winter and dry spring it will NOT be good for things in 22'.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I’m envious of the snow! Send some down our way!
Hopefully it stays so we can have a White Christmas, we don't have much in the forecast but that can change real quick up here.

How much snow does your area usually get in a normal winter?

Reactions: MEngineer24
Hopefully it stays so we can have a White Christmas, we don't have much in the forecast but that can change real quick up here.

How much snow does your area usually get in a normal winter?
Recently I’d say we average around 23-25” per year. Last year was the first white Christmas we’ve had in the last 10 years or so. I always enjoy that! We get most of our snow in the latter winter months. How about your area?

Reactions: thewoodlands
Recently I’d say we average around 23-25” per year. Last year was the first white Christmas we’ve had in the last 10 years or so. I always enjoy that! We get most of our snow in the latter winter months. How about your area?
Last year was the first winter in a long time, when we received our first snow, it stayed until spring. Usually we have a White Christmas but it seems in years past when we get snow, the rain comes in after it. I forget what year it was but we had 24 inches on the ground before Thanksgiving and we were snowmobiling on our property for almost a week before we had some days that hit 60, that melted most of the snow.

I'll check an see what our average snowfall is.

I burned all the pine I brought over to the outside fireplace a few days ago along with seven loads of pine that was cut and under cover.

Before I did the above, I plowed three driveways with the 4540. We received between 4-5 inches of snow.

104_2657.JPG 104_2658.JPG

I just filled the garage back up today. We have been burning but the temps have not been real cold so we have not been going through a lot of wood. I'm hoping for some colder temps to freeze things up but the forecast for the next 2 weeks shows temps in the mid 30's to low 40's for highs.

I just filled the garage back up today. We have been burning but the temps have not been real cold so we have not been going through a lot of wood. I'm hoping for some colder temps to freeze things up but the forecast for the next 2 weeks shows temps in the mid 30's to low 40's for highs.
NOAA is forecasting a low of six tomorrow morning, we'll trade our temps for yours.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Stop wishing for colder weather @heavy hammer , we keep getting it, we bottomed out at 2.7 this morning. I did get another six loads of dead pine like in picture 2660 over to the fireplace and reduced to ash along with two more loads of pine splits. I started my cleaning up in the area that's in picture 2661.

104_2659.JPG 104_2660.JPG 104_2661.JPG

Stop wishing for colder weather @heavy hammer , we keep getting it, we bottomed out at 2.7 this morning. I did get another six loads of dead pine like in picture 2660 over to the fireplace and reduced to ash along with two more loads of pine splits. I started my cleaning up in the area that's in picture 2661.

View attachment 288131 View attachment 288132 View attachment 288133
Come on and send that snow down this way already. We got the cold but not the good stuff to go with it.

Come on and send that snow down this way already. We got the cold but not the good stuff to go with it.
I wish we had more, that way we could send some. We average 83 inches of snow per year.

Split the last 10 or 11 rounds or so of that (pitch?) pine at my friend's place (and was kindly allowed to stack it there as my shed is full, so I made a rack - still need to work on the top cover).

I also have a question. There were quite a few pieces with fatwood (I think). At the same year-ring as a wound. (25 yes ago).
I extracted some.

How long does fatwood need to dry to be good fire starters. The oily stuff doesn't let water transport easily, I guess.

And (@BKVP ?), based on AK pitch ball stories, I assume fatwood is ok for my cat stove? Obviously it'll be used for starting (bypass open), but I could not get all the veins out, so some will be burned with the cat engaged. Probably no need to ask, but better safe than sorry.

IMG_20211221_134616672.jpg IMG_20211221_125555022.jpg IMG_20211221_143346606.jpg