Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I covered another five face cord of firewood today for a total of 23 face cord of hardwood covered, 17 of that is ready for this year if needed.

I'll cover our shoulder season wood next week.

I took a copy of that cord calculator from your posting before but what do you think about the link on posting 649...I do not know how to bring it over so you get just the posting number..Its very long but its simple to read and has a whole bunch of material to look at especially a newbie like me...You most likely know most of it already but do you think it is somewhat accurate with the information..

I made a extra wood shed out of the shipping containers..clancey

Attachments

• tomato plant 7-24-21 003.JPG
    tomato plant 7-24-21 003.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 113
I made a extra wood shed out of the shipping containers..clancey

Good job, carpenter lady ==c

If you have stuff to create a little overhang (as eaves on the roof of a home), it'll help keep the (bottom) firewood drier.

Niece and nephew were down for the weekend and wanted to give me a hand splitting those big spruce rounds that I got my hands on. I hauled out the 8lb maul, as I knew the wood would be difficult to split (i.e. super knotty because it was in full sun). The poor kids didn't even get through one round before they threw in the towel - the wood was difficult, but there was also a lack of precision swinging that was definitely not making things progress any quicker. They also managed to get both my wedges lodged in the round. If you look closely you'll see why - there's 2 branches at the bottom of the split preventing the cut from being completed. Unfortunately I wasn't there as they were feverishly pounding the wedges into a lost cause hahaha.

But, I'm not sure how to proceed (and really there's nothing I can personally do about it at this point, so the round will just sit like that for awhile). Will that eventually loosen up now that it's open and drying or am I going to have to procure another wedge do you think? I've got the round safely away from everything in case one of them shoots out of the wood, but I'm just not sure how I'm going to get them out of there.

I think the rounds will sit until next spring when I can noodle them with the chainsaw. Any suggestions for how to get the wedges out are welcome :)

14E6E9C3-A0D3-42C4-B7F3-3E8A1193510D_1_105_c.jpeg61C6A7D0-175B-4B62-8B50-7BA76A0317C8_1_105_c.jpeg

Niece and nephew were down for the weekend and wanted to give me a hand splitting those big spruce rounds that I got my hands on. I hauled out the 8lb maul, as I knew the wood would be difficult to split (i.e. super knotty because it was in full sun). The poor kids didn't even get through one round before they threw in the towel - the wood was difficult, but there was also a lack of precision swinging that was definitely not making things progress any quicker. They also managed to get both my wedges lodged in the round. If you look closely you'll see why - there's 2 branches at the bottom of the split preventing the cut from being completed. Unfortunately I wasn't there as they were feverishly pounding the wedges into a lost cause hahaha.

But, I'm not sure how to proceed (and really there's nothing I can personally do about it at this point, so the round will just sit like that for awhile). Will that eventually loosen up now that it's open and drying or am I going to have to procure another wedge do you think? I've got the round safely away from everything in case one of them shoots out of the wood, but I'm just not sure how I'm going to get them out of there.

I think the rounds will sit until next spring when I can noodle them with the chainsaw. Any suggestions for how to get the wedges out are welcome :)

View attachment 280444View attachment 280445
I guess noodle it down until all that is left is the two wedges in a piece of firewood. Burn the last piece containing the wedges in your fire pit.

Reactions: MissMac
Can you get a hold of any more wedges?

I have not been cutting at all but I have been moving loads of splits from the woods to the stacking area closer to the house. It is about 3/4 full three or four more stacks should get me there. I don't have any pics. I'm hoping to get some cutting in soon but with all the rain I have been focusing on other projects around the house when not working.

I have not been cutting at all but I have been moving loads of splits from the woods to the stacking area closer to the house. It is about 3/4 full three or four more stacks should get me there. I don't have any pics. I'm hoping to get some cutting in soon but with all the rain I have been focusing on other projects around the house when not working.
Accu is calling for just under half an inch tonight for us, after a very dry spring & summer, mother nature is keeping the faucet on.

View attachment 280444View attachment 280445
I'm far to experienced with this type of issue, take the round, flip it onto its side and saw the round in half, then split again to free the wedges.

Was hoping to mill lumber and stack splits today, but the fog is so thick we can't see more than 50 feet.

Can you get a hold of any more wedges?
I might be able to borrow one from a neighbour - I just don't know if it will make a difference because of the diameter of those 2 branches down at the bottom. It makes me a little nervous having those 2 wedges loaded up with so much energy in the round.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I'm far to experienced with this type of issue, take the round, flip it onto its side and saw the round in half, then split again to free the wedges.
I will try that thanks. In your experience, have wedges released and come flying out of the round like missiles? They make me a little nervous to work around.

The sun came out so I made some adjustments to the mill and made some sawdust. Just a 4x4, a 2x6, and some 1x6's so far. Might get back at it later today.

It makes me a little nervous having those 2 wedges loaded up with so much energy in the round.
I dont think its cocked back like a spring, I'd just cut the round in half parallel with the wedges then flip the round upside down and whack it good with a maul to split it, wedges should pop out towards the ground.

Reactions: MissMac
I checked some trails today, it was the first time since we had some high winds in our county last Tuesday. This Maple came down from the wind so I cut some rounds up and brought them home. There's more over there but I wanted to limit my time outside until I'm off the doxycycline.

The leaves were dark green on the top side and a lighter green underneath. The pants, t-shirt and long sleeve shirt were all treated with Permethrin, it was muggy out so it didn't take long to get both shirts drenched.

Attachments

• 104_2016.JPG
    104_2016.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 104_2017.JPG
    104_2017.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 104_2019.JPG
    104_2019.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 104_2020.JPG
    104_2020.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 104_2022.JPG
    104_2022.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 92
I dont think its cocked back like a spring, I'd just cut the round in half parallel with the wedges then flip the round upside down and whack it good with a maul to split it, wedges should pop out towards the ground.
i took my one good arm and my little hand saw and cut into the log at the base of the wedges. after sweating about half a litre of water out, i managed to cut the face of the slab off the round and retrieve my wedges. :)

Made some more sawdust today. I've got the mill pretty well calibrated. Everything is within 1/16" in most cases, some stuff is more like 1/8" off, but pretty good for a chainsaw mill I say. Logosol doesn't tell you that it's extremely difficult to set up the full six meter mill in the woods with three lifters/legs. I've got it on two lifters set to four meters and that was much easier to calibrate. At some point I'll have a nice graded place to put it and have all six meters set up all the time. The closest I got with all three lifters was within 3/8", and that's just not close enough for me. When I have a planer and jointer I'll be a little less of a perfectionist on mill setup.