Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You're in that area that usually gets nailed with snow, how much did you get this year? They have a blackfly program they do every year up here, they treat certain areas so they aren't that bad, the skeeters on the other hand can get nasty.

When I first started cutting, I would work in the summertime but the only time I do that is after a windstorm or just working around the house lot.

You live in a very nice area, are the trails opened up for the four wheelers? I did see they had the SNIRT run which is always a huge event.
Yeah we get a hit of snow. I’m not sure on the numbers for this year. I should ask my neighbor down the road. He keeps track. I think it’s usually over 200”.

The black flys are strong here right now. What’s involved in the black fly program by you? Do they spray different areas?

I used to live in FL, and they would have mosquito programs. It involved spraying ditches next to the road. And also they had little bucket mosquito traps. I think the bugs would fly in there, lay their eggs, and then be trapped. Not really sure how they worked.

I’m not sure about the 4 wheelers. I haven’t been on one in years, but would like to find an older 4x4 to haul wood with. Driving the tractor in the woods is messy sometimes.

Yeah we get a hit of snow. I’m not sure on the numbers for this year. I should ask my neighbor down the road. He keeps track. I think it’s usually over 200”.

The black flys are strong here right now. What’s involved in the black fly program by you? Do they spray different areas?

I used to live in FL, and they would have mosquito programs. It involved spraying ditches next to the road. And also they had little bucket mosquito traps. I think the bugs would fly in there, lay their eggs, and then be trapped. Not really sure how they worked.

I’m not sure about the 4 wheelers. I haven’t been on one in years, but would like to find an older 4x4 to haul wood with. Driving the tractor in the woods is messy sometimes.
I'm not sure what they use but they treat swamps, brooks and creeks around here. Back about three or four years ago the town would send forms out to the different land owners asking for their permission, they don't do that anymore so I'm thinking if you didn't want them on your property you would make a call.

With the hills we have and some smaller trails, a four wheeler is a must.

Reactions: DonTee
I have a buddy with a 4 wheeler and a small trailer. He hauls all his wood that way. It works really well for him.

I’ve just been looking out for the right deal on a 4 wheeler. It’s probably going to get beat up, and my kids will crash it into things, so I’m looking for a used one.

My tractor really tears up the trails when it’s at all wet in the woods. It’s 7,000+ lbs.

I have a buddy with a 4 wheeler and a small trailer. He hauls all his wood that way. It works really well for him.

I’ve just been looking out for the right deal on a 4 wheeler. It’s probably going to get beat up, and my kids will crash it into things, so I’m looking for a used one.

My tractor really tears up the trails when it’s at all wet in the woods. It’s 7,000+ lbs.
I'll tell you my '90 Polaris Big boss with the dump box and a trailer behind it can haul a good load, but being a 6 wheeler it digs ruts pretty quick on any sharp turns in a trail. It's a beast, but it gets the job done.

Reactions: thewoodlands

We've had a Rhino Yamaha since 2007, it has done the job since we started hauling and cutting firewood. We did purchase an RTV-X1100C with a Boss V-Plow, it isn't fast but it sure has enough power.

Reactions: NickW
I hauled the splitter back today and finished splitting the rest of the maple rounds, not far from the area I was splitting is a topped off maple that will come down on another day.

104_3003.JPG 104_3004.JPG 104_3005.JPG

Built a rack, split the rest of the pine, and stacked all of the wood on the other end of the lot today, after mowing the lawn (and after a mothers day breakfast with the wife and kids).

Yes it's high, but I braced it in the back.
This is 10 ft x 5.5 ft (x17.5"), so about 1-3/4 face cord, and with 17.5" long about 0.63 cord. All pitch pine.

I have the cinder blocks on some cut-offs of pressure treated wood as the ground was rather soft forest floor. I'll rake some of the 5" of "mulch-to-be" from under there next week. Like to get good airflow, and I think the cinder blocks will sink a bit deeper soon.

2x2 sticking up at the ends; I start stacking and only when I see them starting to lean outwards (which was at 2/3-3/4 of the height here), I add the top lumber to keep the end 2x2s together.
I'll cover it next week with some plywood covered in some plastic sheeting I found in the garage, just below the top lumber to keep that from blowing away.

I hope this will be ok come this winter. It depends on the sun (looking South here, but the neighbor put those green giants there); the wind will be fine here through this stack. This is at my friend's place, and my shed is full, so no choice of where to put it. I don't need it necessarily this winter (still have a full 2.75 cord bay of my shed with ash, cherry, and a bit of maple and oak + a face cord of pine + 1.5 face cord of red oak all ready for this winter). We'll see. The season after this coming burning season, I have only a bay of 2.75 cord of oak and locust, so having some pine then would be nice.

1652057795120.png

The topped off maple in post 206 was felled today but once it hit the ground, the top broke apart from rot. Only two rounds were halfway decent, the rest of the tree should make nice dirt.

I covered six face cord of shoulder season wood and another eight face cord of ash, we still have four plus cord of ash covered from last year for a total 12 plus.

I let a bunch of tarps dry today, maybe tomorrow I'll cover more hardwood.

In picture 3021 you can see the damage to a red maple from the last good windstorm, 3022 & 3023 are the same red maple. Picture 3024 is the white pine for the shoulder season and 3025 is the eight face cord of ash I covered today.

104_3021.JPG 104_3022.JPG 104_3023.JPG 104_3024.JPG 104_3025.JPG

I had two trees that I c/s up top, today the splits were brought down and then stacked. The only splits that need stacking are what's in the last picture. With what's in the trailer, we'll have a face cord, maybe a bit more.

The old maple in picture 3030 was standing when I split the ash in that area, it will make some nice dirt.

104_3029.JPG 104_3030.JPG 104_3031.JPG 104_3032.JPG 104_3033.JPG 104_3036.JPG 104_3038.JPG

Man I wish I could keep my woods looking that neat and tidy. You have hardly any underbrush or branches laying around.
We have our areas that are a mess but the area in the pictures is pretty clean since I haven't felled that many trees.

Reactions: jaoneill
I finished stacking the last load of ash this morning from yesterday in picture 3038, I'll finish this stack with the ash from the hill in the back.

Hopefully after the above stack is full, we'll still have another face cord with the rest of the ash, maple and beech we have.

We still have another two or three face cord that will be going up after the above is done.

104_3038.JPG 104_3039.JPG

So I ran out of things for my wife to do while I was sanding drywall and she wanted to do something outside... So I had her have at the campfire pine.
IMG_20220514_165227.jpg

Then she didn't want to put dinner together, so while I did that she started on the cherry...
IMG_20220514_183524.jpg

Chicken packets on the grill. Chicken breasts, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, carrots, and peppers seasoned with butter, salt & pepper...
Nick, what are "chicken packets"?

Nick, what are "chicken packets"?
Above ingredients wrapped in aluminum foil with the seams rolled tight and grilled. Nice hardy meal after a day of working. Any meat will do... Ground beef and chicken are our go to's.

Reactions: JamesGuido
Above ingredients wrapped in aluminum foil with the seams rolled tight and grilled. Nice hardy meal after a day of working. Any meat will do... Ground beef and chicken are our go to's.
Toss in a few ice cubes, too--they'll melt and steam up the packet contents.

Reactions: JamesGuido
Nice! Thanks ;)

This pine branch came down last fall... I think but we had a bunch of nice hardwood mother nature felled so I took care of the hardwood first.

I limbed up most of it so I can use the tractor with with forks, that will make it easier bucking it up. Just after I hauled the second load out of there, the rains came.

IMG_0211.jpg IMG_0212.jpg

Last edited:
Monday I finished cutting and moving most of the rest of the softwood, split the rest of the 24" campfire pine, css the rest of the cherry. All I have left for logs in the Northwoods is a small branch pile and half a dozen "runners" that were buried in mud that I unburied and will let dry off and get rained on.

Got my first drop at home from a tree service... Sugar maple & cherry. Guessing 1/2 cord worth from the pic my son sent.

We had some heavy rains overnight so I finished up the limbing and we had a nice fire.

Today I took two loads of limbs from the downed pine branch and two more loads of dead pine over to the the fireplace, everything from yesterday and today is gone.

Picture 0211 is what I started with. Once I buck up the downed pine, we have a bunch of dead junk pine that will come down.

104_3046.JPG 104_3047.JPG 104_3048.JPG IMG_0211 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Well I finally started on a woodshed. I got this metal frame that was made for a big commercial heating and cooling unit for free from a buddy that was moving. He was using it as a hog pen. I had to cut it in half to haul it home. It's 10'6"×14'2" made out of 3"×3"×1/8" square tubing.
20220430_134425.jpg
20220430_134436.jpg

I took off all the boards and got it stripped to the bare frame then I laid it back out so the wife could get an idea what I'm gunna do with it and what it will look like.
20220508_172533.jpg

So I poured 4 piers about a week ago to catch the four courners so I can anchor down to them. I forgot to take pics of the piers before I spread the asphalt millings pad but you can see them in the pic. I was going to pour a concrete pad at 4" thick myself but the local concrete companies have a five yard minimum right now at $133 a yard with the gas prices being so high. I dont blame them but I didn't want to spend that much money when I only needed 2 yards worth. So I went with the millings for now. They were free other than the gas to get them home.
20220520_165605.jpg

I got this half of it slid up on the pad today. Its rained its rear off today so that's all I managed. If you look at the bottom right side you can see for some reason they had a extra tubing spot welded under the original. It has caused it to bow out of of level so I will cut it out and then heat the welds with a torch and beat it back down level.
20220521_172207.jpg

I'm going to take a foot off of the half not on the pad and make the depth of the shed at 9'6" for two reasons. One.... cause where I am building it I have limited space because of the fence behind it. I'm building it there because it's right off our driveway. No driving in the yard. The second reason is because i will use the cut offs to build my height for the lean-to roof. I'm trying to see how little I can build it for lol.
20220521_172212.jpg

After I get that done I'm going to slide it up on the pad and start welding it back up. Then I'm going to cut out the bottom tubing running through the middle of the floor. Lots to do lol.....I will post more as I go along.