Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I finished covering a bunch of hardwood and some shoulder season wood. We have 8 face cord of shoulder season wood out of 12 covered, we have 28 face cord of hardwood covered. We have enough covers for another 4 or 5 face cord of hardwood that I'll do this week.

I'm hoping we have enough covers that I can top cover the last four face cord of pine for a total of 12.

Since we had some good rains early this morning, I decided getting rid of some tops and clearing an older trail would be my work for the day.

The areas I cleaned up today are usually just walking trails but I spent some extra time cleaning up enough of the downed chit that the trails are wider and the Kubota can get through. This helps me out big time, I can get closer to some old tops so I can clean a few areas up and make a new entrance to the trail in the gulley.

104_3137.JPG 104_3138.JPG 104_3139.JPG 104_3140.JPG 104_3141.JPG 104_3142.JPG 104_3143.JPG 104_3144.JPG 104_3145.JPG 104_3146.JPG 104_3148.JPG

I got the board and batten last weekend from the amish neighbor up the road after ordering it 3 weeks ago. It was 90 cents a boards foot and cost 513 dollars total which I thought was pretty good. I was pretty busy last weekend with a church maintenance day on saturday and I got called in on a water leak last sunday so I didn't get started until this friday. I still need to put the battens on the two sides you can't see in this picture and a few trim pieces on the eaves but I'm getting it wrapped up. If your wondering why no overhang on the front it's because I got the rafters for free from my ole man and the only way to make a overhang on the front was to cut the steel frame down and make it less deep or buy longer 2x6s which I didn't want to do. I'm kinda curious what y'all think about that though. I overhung the roofing metal on the front 3 inches but I'm wandering now if it will leak water there. Should I just cut it back and put a flashing there or do y'all think it will be alright. Second pic shows where I'm talking about.
20220628_202716.jpg
20220628_204220.jpg

The wind damaged tree that was hung up in a pine came down overnight. Picture 3149 was the branch that wasn't up against the pine tree, it was hanging over a main trail, in picture 3150 you can see the branch that was leaning and loaded up against the pine tree before it broke and came back towards the area I would've been cutting, picture 3151 is taken from the stump end and 3152 is the branch that broke off and the pressure from the pine tree sent it back towards the stump end.

Since tomorrow will be hotter, I mowed the lawn today with the push mower and tomorrow I should start on this tree.

This tree was in my original my post 248.

104_3149.JPG 104_3150.JPG 104_3151.JPG 104_3152.JPG

Reactions: heavy hammer
We have a few people in the neighborhood that aren't feeling great so I limited the time I worked on this downed tree since they can hear the saw, I did use the tractor with the forks and then moved the rounds to the old splitting area.

104_3153.JPG 104_3154.JPG 104_3155.JPG 104_3156.JPG 104_3157.JPG

I split some of what I think is a Bigtooth Quaking Aspen today and stacked it on some pallets, I still have some rounds left that need splitting. I split the bark off most of it....stinky stuff.

The first picture is a fresh split with the moisture meter in it and the second picture is the bark being dumped off at the outside fireplace.

104_3158.JPG 104_3159.JPG 104_3160.JPG 104_3161.JPG

I had planned taking another week or two off from any cutting except for taking care of some tops but the wife said she would like the bigger pine in the picture gone.

I had started cutting on the pile back in 2020 and took care of the rounds in the picture, hopefully this is cut & split by July 15, 2022.

Our shoulder season wood area is full (12 face cord stacked) so this will get split and thrown in a pile for burning in the outside fireplace.

pine.JPG

I did get after the big old pine this morning along with a few rounds off some of the smaller stuff.

I used a 25 inch bar and it was throwing some noodles in the cut (pic 3177) but after cutting three rounds off the tree, it turned into chips in picture 3176....dirty old pine.

When I start back up on the pine, I think I'll use the tractor too roll what's left out of there. The wood on the inside is still good so I'll need to start a new stacking area.

104_3168.JPG 104_3169.JPG 104_3170.JPG 104_3171.JPG 104_3173.JPG 104_3175.JPG 104_3176.JPG 104_3177.JPG

After a quick hard rain this morning, the sun ended up coming out for the rest of the day. This was the Bigtooth Quaking Aspen that the wind hung up and then came down, I finally cleared the trail wide enough for the truck and then cleared a few other spots.

In the last picture are a bunch of pine that are dying, we would like to take them down and replant with something else.

Most of the storms in our county stayed north of us today.

104_3154.JPG 104_3178.JPG 104_3179.JPG 104_3180.JPG 104_3181.JPG 104_3182.JPG 104_3183.JPG 104_3185.JPG

Thewoodlands looks like you have been busy, like always. I have been moving and splitting a lot of wood lately. I need to get some pics the weather has been pretty nice lately not to hot or humid but very dry. The week of the 4th I split for a few hours every night to clean up some older piles of ash I had. I need to start cutting up some of my log piles but just haven't had the time yet. Summer is flying by but it has been a good summer so far. Hope everyone is enjoying the weather.

Thewoodlands looks like you have been busy, like always. I have been moving and splitting a lot of wood lately. I need to get some pics the weather has been pretty nice lately not to hot or humid but very dry. The week of the 4th I split for a few hours every night to clean up some older piles of ash I had. I need to start cutting up some of my log piles but just haven't had the time yet. Summer is flying by but it has been a good summer so far. Hope everyone is enjoying the weather.
Get it when you can, we've had a nice summer so far but it looks like we have some good rains coming in next week.

Picture 3187 is a cherry mother nature took down, it also did some damage to a small maple, hopefully both are out by the middle of August.

The last two pictures are some maple I worked on in late spring, I hauled one load out and (not pictured) stacked it. There's still more left, hopefully I get that out before the rains come in next week.

104_3187.JPG 104_3189.JPG 104_3190.JPG

What can I say - addiction is hard to fight. Or: more (pitch) pine needed cutting at my friend's place. Pick your choice.

As my shed is (still) full, I added another two 10x4' racks here, so ~2/3 cord in total. Used some left-over plywood and plastic sheeting I had on top to cover it.

I know, it looks amateur with the wire (some friend of my friend did that because they thought it'd fall over - though the string won't ever keep it in place if it did so). It's just a 2x2 screwed into a 2x4 base, but they bend out, so I added some furring strip on top to prevent that. Then later a second rack appeared and I added the cover which would have obviated the need for that top strip. It's all unplanned. But it'll dry, and then it'll burn, and it was free, and I liked the splitting (and beer with a friend afterwards).

Will burn it maybe this winter (though I have my bay in my shed for this year, AND one of these racks of pine already at his place, and one old rack of slightly punky red oak at home), so more likely next winter - when it will be very useful as I only have 2.75 cord of red oak and locust. Some soft wood to burn down some coals will be useful then.

IMG_20220606_132453198.jpg

I split some ash and cherry that ended up filling out this two face cord stack, that gives us 58 face cord up. We have another three face cord that will need splitting and stacking before the end of August.

Our hardwood area holds 66 face cord and then we're full, hopefully that gets done before the first snow hits. Our shoulder season area holds 12 face cord (it's full) so it has been a good spring and summer for getting firewood up.

I think it's time the old frame gets a rest.

104_3192.JPG 104_3193.JPG 104_3194.JPG 104_3195.JPG

Spent the last 2 mornings cleaning trails. Finally purchased a brush cutting attachment for my Stihl weedwacker. Sure makes quick work of any brush that has overgrown into our trails. Have about 1 mile of trails clean and another mile to go. We walk these trails almost daily and 95% of our firewood comes from this property, so keeping them clean makes everything easier. My inspector comes along to make sure nothing is missed.

20220717_072341.jpg 20220717_072557.jpg 20220717_072734.jpg

Spent the last 2 mornings cleaning trails. Finally purchased a brush cutting attachment for my Stihl weedwacker. Sure makes quick work of any brush that has overgrown into our trails. Have about 1 mile of trails clean and another mile to go. We walk these trails almost daily and 95% of our firewood comes from this property, so keeping them clean makes everything easier. My inspector comes along to make sure nothing is missed.

View attachment 297100 View attachment 297101 View attachment 297102
Nice work @Bobbob , did your inspector approve of the job? Your trails and the woods look great. 👍

Resized_20220716_202254_5178.jpegResized_20220716_202317_4785.jpegResized_20220716_202321_6450.jpegResized_20220716_202332_7401.jpegResized_20220716_202348_7973.jpegResized_20220716_202355_5760.jpegResized_20220716_202413_4998.jpegResized_20220716_202722_6441.jpeg
I finally got some pics last night. I have been splitting some evenings here and there to clean up some old piles. I have two new piles of oak that is split but needs split a little smaller eventually. The pic with my buddy copper in front is all the stuff I moved with the tractor closer to the house. I know some pics are a little blurry but it was getting late. As you see in a few pics I have a few piles of logs that need cut but I'm trying to get things split and stacked, so I can cut them up and have places to stack. I have more wood to bring home from my brothers place but I need space to put it plus I don't want things to bunched up.

View attachment 297103View attachment 297104View attachment 297105View attachment 297106View attachment 297107View attachment 297108View attachment 297109View attachment 297110
I finally got some pics last night. I have been splitting some evenings here and there to clean up some old piles. I have two new piles of oak that is split but needs split a little smaller eventually. The pic with my buddy copper in front is all the stuff I moved with the tractor closer to the house. I know some pics are a little blurry but it was getting late. As you see in a few pics I have a few piles of logs that need cut but I'm trying to get things split and stacked, so I can cut them up and have places to stack. I have more wood to bring home from my brothers place but I need space to put it plus I don't want things to bunched up.
Nice work @heavy hammer , how hot is your area getting?

We have had temps in the 80's and some days in the 90's. Pretty dry lately, it has been a good summer so far. I have been very busy with work so processing wood has been tough just not a lot of time but it always gets done. How about you have the temps been bad/hot.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We have had temps in the 80's and some days in the 90's. Pretty dry lately, it has been a good summer so far. I have been very busy with work so processing wood has been tough just not a lot of time but it always gets done. How about you have the temps been bad/hot.
Last week was nice, we had morning temps in the low 50's with high temps usually around 75 with low humidity and dewpoint. Today and a few others this coming week will be in the high 80's feeling like 95 with a chit load of rain coming in tomorrow, almost two inches on the high end.

If I can get two more face cord of hardwood up by the end of August, that will fill up that area which hold 10 face cord for a total of 60. We have room for 66 face cord of hardwood so I should get that once fall hits....or a wind event.

I thought I had a lot of wood at 20-30 cord. That is awesome to have that! That is a lot of good hard work plus plenty for the winter. I always say you can not have to much, like money in the bank. It looks like I need to start processing more wood

View attachment 297103View attachment 297104View attachment 297105View attachment 297106View attachment 297107View attachment 297108View attachment 297109View attachment 297110
All your wood looks good! Nice to see your dog enjoys wood processing just like mine. I thought I was doing good with 12 cords(3 years worth for me), but you guys are way ahead of the game. For me its just nice seeing some other guys out enjoying both nature and hard work.

I thought I had a lot of wood at 20-30 cord. That is awesome to have that! That is a lot of good hard work plus plenty for the winter. I always say you can not have to much, like money in the bank. It looks like I need to start processing more wood
I've started to think about how old I'll be when the 60 face cord will be gone (we burn 12 face a year) I'll be 69 and wonder how much I can c/s/s at that age. It makes me want to put up more per year but the old frame would be feeling it.

All your wood looks good! Nice to see your dog enjoys wood processing just like mine. I thought I was doing good with 12 cords(3 years worth for me), but you guys are way ahead of the game. For me its just nice seeing some other guys out enjoying both nature and hard work.
That is good, nice job. I always thought once we had three years up I "wood" slow down some but it seems I always want more.

Like @heavy hammer said, it's like money in the bank.