Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hauled a load of ash from the tree service with a pasture full of wood half an hour away yesterday, unloaded just now (left to center stacks). 3 stacks on the right are the softwood I hauled home from the Northwoods last week because I couldn't stand hauling an empty trailer home
IMG_20220812_161225.jpg

Hauled a load of ash from the tree service with a pasture full of wood half an hour away yesterday, unloaded just now (left to center stacks). 3 stacks on the right are the softwood I hauled home from the Northwoods last week because I couldn't stand hauling an empty trailer home
View attachment 297815
Nice load of ash and softwood. Our temps are dropping to 49 tonight so we brought some pine in for a few fires tonight.

I haven't cleaned the chimney either at home or the Northwoods yet...😔
I had done a cleaning in the spring when we had some warm weather, we burned after the cleaning but only for a week.

I put the moisture meter on two different splits of pine tonight, one had a reading of 8 percent and the other 10, the fires been going with a smaller one planned before I call it a night.

Took the boys down to the tree service pasture for another load of ash late this afternoon. Got home to no power. Had the wife pick up some pizza's on her way home from work. Lucky she was working late...

20220729_142953.jpg
Finally finished the wood shed other than a few trim pieces on the back.I'll wait till cooler weather for that cause it's been blistering hot this summer. It's dried in now at least. I'm not the best at woodwork.....I'm more of a steel man myself.....and don't have a table saw so don't laugh lol. I also didn't like how it looked without a front overhang so I added it on since i posted the last pictures as well and I couldn't find an old piece of ridge cap to match so I just bought a new one. I will eventually buy new corrugated metal when/if the price comes down. As it stands it cost me around $1200. I finished this a month or so ago. I could have fit 7 cord in it if I had left the front open but I wanted a fully enclosed shed since this is all seasoned wood going in it anyhow. I have a little over 4 cord in it which is 2 years worth of wood for me. I will probably build a open lean to wood shed someday in the future so I will use this for a storage shed or I will modify it for a livestock shelter and move it if I do so. I still need to bring in dirt and do the grade work but I will have to move fence so I will wait for cooler weather after deer season.

Today I bucked up some pine from a big old dead pine we had taken down in 2018, it could've hit the garage so we had a tree service take it down.

The stuff I c/s today will go in the outside fireplace but some of the bigger logs I'll c/s later will go in a pile that will be used (some stacked this fall and some next spring) for shoulder season wood in two years.

Just after I came in the thunder started with a storm moving through about 45 minutes later, we didn't receive any winds but we did get some needed rains.

Nice work @NickW , how much firewood do you burn if it's a normal winter in your area?
Since installing the NC30 I am using about 4 cord total. 1 1/4 softwood or so and a little under 3 cord hardwood. Last year was a little hard to judge as I was hauling some up to the Northwoods too. That's between 4 1/2 and 5 cord in the garage...

Since installing the NC30 I am using about 4 cord total. 1 1/4 softwood or so and a little under 3 cord hardwood. Last year was a little hard to judge as I was hauling some up to the Northwoods too. That's between 4 1/2 and 5 cord in the garage...
We burn six face cord of shoulder season wood and 12 face cord of hardwood. Only once since we've started burning, we burned six face of shoulder and ten face of hardwood.

I would like to cut another eight face of hardwood this fall and another four of shoulder season wood.

We burn six face cord of shoulder season wood and 12 face cord of hardwood. Only once since we've started burning, we burned six face of shoulder and ten face of hardwood.

I would like to cut another eight face of hardwood this fall and another four of shoulder season wood.
Yeah, I got to my 3 years ahead 2 years ago, then with our Northwoods build I am falling behind. Ok on softwood and "premium" hardwood, but need more mid-grade hardwood. Been hauling ash home and stockpiling for when my shared wood splitter is returned...

Yeah, I got to my 3 years ahead 2 years ago, then with our Northwoods build I am falling behind. Ok on softwood and "premium" hardwood, but need more mid-grade hardwood. Been hauling ash home and stockpiling for when my shared wood splitter is returned...
The wife gave up some rides in the boat so I could put up more hardwood and shoulder season wood this summer. I'll fill what's left of the hardwood stack I've been working on and that will give us 60 face cord of hardwood and 12 of shoulder season.

It seems like this two face cord stack took forever, between some of the cherry I hauled out the other day, robbing a pile of wood brought out from the two windstorms we had late last November and cutting some rounds off the tops of some ash from this spring, our 60th face cord is up.

We have room for a total of 66 face cord so six more would fill the yard but since we usually burn 12 face a year of hardwood, 10 would be nice this fall.

104_3236.JPG 104_3237.JPG 104_3238.JPG 104_3240.JPG 104_3241.JPG 104_3242.JPG

Cucumber tree blew down (rotten core) back around may, finally got started cleaning it up. Left several branches snagged up high that’s gonna be tricky to get down.AC7998E1-5D68-4EDF-AA62-2D60475B561C.jpeg

2C8CEA52-34F6-4476-92AE-23350D35199E.jpeg

Reactions: heavy hammer
We've been way to hot and dry here in NNJ. I was out scoping fall tree work (5) dead ash tree's that need to be cut down before the snow flies, I'm thinking of calling in a tree guy in a bucket truck to drop 2 of the tree's then I'll just clean them up / burn the smaller branches during the winter when I want to be outside getting rid of cabin fever.

I had cleaned the outside pipe on the wood and pellet stove a few weeks back so today I cleaned the inside pipe on the wood stove and the inside of the wood stove.

The SootEater does a great job, I still have the brush but haven't used it in a few years.

Reactions: heavy hammer
D8D600B2-D156-4D27-93C7-1D2455B0650D.jpeg

Poured a new section of slab, gonna be setting a 30x30 metal carport up.

Had some bucket sized holes scooped out to make cement “blocks” to set rails on for wood racks. Not the best use of the extra cement but better than sending it back to yard.

Once dry I’ll take the tractor and move them where I need them.

I split 3 truck loads of ash yesterday in between the rain I will get some pics. I didn't move it yet I ran out of time with family coming over and the dark. It rained pretty much all day so I just left it stacked at the end of the driveway for a nicer day.

Yesterday morning, I split 5 cords of old lodgepole pine for a new homeowners who obtained a big stack of rounds from the previous owner. It took about 4 or 5 hours. I started out fresh but got tired after 3 hours. I was looking at the never ending pile with temperature moving into the 90's. I've never split this much wood at one time. Moreover, there were lots of black widows and other spiders in the wood pile. And much of the wood was rotten (but dry).

Boom, my splitter tire blew - so I wasn't sure if I could reload the splitter into my trailer. But I kept splitting. I finally finished. I muscled the splitter up the ramps and into the trailer. Today, I ordered new tires for the splitter. That was a hot one. I learned something - even dry wood won't last forever it will deteriorate. I have some dry lodgepole pine and I would estimate it has 30% more density than this old pine. The homeowner is going to be continually reloading his BK. But at least he will be done with this old wood, and this spider den.