Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
About the only work that I did today was changing out the old starter relay switch on the rhino with a new one, it doesn't run some anymore when you shut it off.

Cleaned my stove, blew out dust on the blower fan, and ran the sooteater down it. I'm ready. Wife will probably want one next week with temps in the 60s for high and 40s at night. Will probably be the earliest I've ever lit it.

Cleaned the chimney and the stove out. Swept out about 1 8oz cup of black powder. Ready for this season now. Looks to be coming quicker than the last few years. Woke up to 33F this morning.

2396453E-46EC-4690-9FA9-137CECCE3A79.jpeg

Hurricane Ian left a present. Normally I’d be happy for the gift of free firewood delivered to my yard but…. A birthday party is Sunday and I didn’t budget time to clean my neighbors rotten uprooted red maple out of my yard. Up I can just stretch the fence back into shape.

I’ll post and after picture when I get it all split. The other half of the mess is behind the playhouse.

A16F3555-4A52-404C-B26A-6A3498EB4851.jpeg

Hurricane Ian left a present. Normally I’d be happy for the gift of free firewood delivered to my yard but…. A birthday party is Sunday and I didn’t budget time to clean my neighbors rotten uprooted red maple out of my yard. Up I can just stretch the fence back into shape.

I’ll post and after picture when I get it all split. The other half of the mess is behind the playhouse.

View attachment 299668
Boy I’m glad I have both small and large chainsaws.
Only pinched my bar twice.

B9D400F6-DF34-4490-97CB-9A9D172D0E3E.jpeg

I've decided to sell some firewood, about 20 cords or so. I put an ad on Craigslist, $265 a cord + $10 fuel charge for dry wood cut in the 16-18" range. The wood is actually dry. The first day or two, I received about 6 or 7 calls for firewood. I wasn't expecting so many calls so I stopped the ad. I'm trying to pace myself.

In the last couple of days, I've loaded up my truck bed and trailer with 2 cords three times. I might be a bit overloaded because things get a little squirrely when I get up to 55 mph. Naturally, I'm getting most of my calls from people 40 miles away. I think I'll take the backroads from now on. So far I've sold, 2.5 cords of white pine (not sure exactly what kind), 1 cord mixed (Siberian Elm, Ash, Russian Olive, Ponderosa Pine, & Honey Locust), and 2.5 cords of Lodgepole Pine.

I have 1 cord going to someone 40 miles away. I asked him what kind of stove he has? He said he is in a school bus with a small stove. I asked if he wanted smaller pieces? I told him I would give him a discount for many of those unstackable short hardwood pieces that I have too many of - he agreed. Lucky me.

Last edited:
I felled a white pine that was dead, I decided that we would put a cable on it, I wanted to make sure it came through the branches on the other pines. The better rounds will get split for use in the shoulder season and the worst will become firewood for the outside fireplace.

104_3276.JPG 104_3277.JPG 104_3278.JPG 104_3280.JPG

Dropped 5 tree's with my brother today at his property in NE WI. Biggest was a 26" dia 75' tall white pine. That trunk and another pine trunk will get cut into 4x8x20' timbers for his cabin build that he hopes to start next year. We're tired fellows!16651854441687927798731433709057.jpg

Resized_20220924_160147_2375.jpegResized_20220924_175620_3217.jpegResized_20220924_175641_8893.jpegResized_20220924_160143_3010.jpegResized_20220724_152022_200.jpegResized_20220724_152007_1240.jpeg

I finally was able to split the 3 truck loads of ash and stack them. I have been working a lot so time to process wood has been limited. I did manage to fill the garage up and have my first fire this past weekend. With temps in the low 40's and upper 30's it seems like the cold showed up early this year.

View attachment 300308View attachment 300309View attachment 300310View attachment 300311View attachment 300312View attachment 300313

I finally was able to split the 3 truck loads of ash and stack them. I have been working a lot so time to process wood has been limited. I did manage to fill the garage up and have my first fire this past weekend. With temps in the low 40's and upper 30's it seems like the cold showed up early this year.
Nice work @heavy hammer , we might be in for some heavy rains (2 inches) with some winds over 40 mph on Thursday, are you getting any storms this week?

I believe they are calling for rain Wednesday and Thursday. I'm not sure about the winds but it seems like it is windy all the time anymore. 30 MPH gusts almost seem like the normal anymore.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Just finished hauling in the winter wood supply in the Northwoods before the weather hits. This is in the basement. Just under 2 cord total... 1/2 cord 16" ash, 1/4 cord 12" cherry, 1/8 cord 16" pine, 5/8 cord 12" aspen, 5/16 cord 12" pine. 12" was cut for keeping the Stratford II happy with N/S loads. Yes, I accounted for the 12" lengths in my calculations... All are based on volume.

I figure this is more than enough as we burn full time at home and go through about 4 cord mixed in 2400', '78 construction with electric baseboard heaters. Heating less area in new construction with NG forced air in the Northwoods.

IMG_20221011_192324.jpg

Going to bring in a couple loads of uglies for this week, once the rain front comes through temps are going to dip down to 30 here at night, the princess will be chugging along on ash, maple and cherry chunks.

Last edited:
Replaced batteries in all the smoke alarms. Also made a trip to the woods for a load. Started burning so gotta replenish the hoard!

I cleaned up some ash tops off the backhill today after putting in some shoulder season wood, one load of ash went to the splitting area.

In picture 3292 the tree next to the leaner is a Cherry that has some of the top busted off, that will come down this week.

104_3289.JPG 104_3290.JPG 104_3291.JPG 104_3292.JPG

I split (well, my son did, with my supervision) a wheelbarrow of cherry shorties for my elderly neighbors.

I wanted to do it, but he begged me. Turns out we both missed doing it, apparently.

Decided an afternoon in the 40's would be better spent getting some aspen and cherry out of the valley before it becomes unaccessible. Cut and hauled it up next to the garage so I can split at my leisure. Have through Sunday to get outside stuff done before the next system comes through... Starting Friday it will be in the 60's again with maybe 70 Sunday.

So.... Besides miscellaneous little items...

Tomorrow - dump run with the trailer and get a trailer load of fieldstone to finish shoring up steep spots. Ran out of rocks left from excavation...
Friday - another run for stone if necessary. Maybe finish deck railings.
Saturday - finish fire caulking fire wall and touch up primer/sealer. Blackjack valleys as I discovered some dampness on the underside of the roof plywood in the garage last week after the wind and rain.
Sunday - rip cherry planks into boards for fireplace trim, mantle & wood rack (after doing "quiet" things while listening to the Packers game).
IMG_20221019_171141.jpg