Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The area I hauled some beech and ironwood out of the other day had more of the same that needed to come down.

All the beech and ironwood I took today was damaged or had something going on with it. We should have a face cord of some higher btu wood with everything I hauled down the hill in my last two outings.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

I was back in the same area today, there were three downed ironwood in the area so I bucked them up. I had one ironwood up there from yesterday that filled the trailer up.

I wanted to start on a downed beech but some bug with wings were all over me so I called it a day.

Picture 3333 is some of the rounds from the first ironwood I bucked up, 3335 & 36 are the three ironwood I bucked up today, 3337 is after I loaded up a ironwood I bucked up yesterday, 3338 is a new trail I cleared out when I started work in this area, 3341 will be a new trail before the Friday November 4 and the last picture is some splitting and stacking that should be finished by next Sunday.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

Since EAB hit our county, I've been felling the ash on our property. Today we put a cable on this ash even though it seemed like a solid tree, the wife did a nice job keeping tension on the cable. She couldn't see me since I was down in a gully and she was down the hill below the ridge.

I had planned on bucking up all of it but we received a call that the Rhino was ready, we had the oil changed.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

Nice to be able to work together, outside.

Bucked up some ironwood from the last trip to the tree service pasture, some miscellaneous small stuff from the neighbor, and a load dropped off by another tree service of mixed - mostly box elder, some pine, some ash and walnut. Mostly monster sized stuff... 18"-3' dia and bigger. Some of what I'm pretty sure is ash had this sickly olive green hue when fresh cut. Now it looks normal. Will be watching it when I split to make sure it is ash... Second photo are them. Looks kind of yellow, but in real life it was olive green.

Guessing 1-1 1/2 cord worth. Maybe half a face of ironwood, at least 2 face maybe a full cord of softwood, and between a face cord and half cord of hardwood. Getting close to being back to 3 years ahead. Not sure what I'm going to do if we sell the house and move to the Northwoods before I get to burn that ironwood here.Work Done in 2022
Work Done in 2022

Nice to be able to work together, outside.
Just until the tree was on the ground then she's gone, I'll finish bucking it up tomorrow.

With this tree and what we have in the woods, we have over 62 face cord of hardwood, 60 plus is already stacked. I'm hoping to fill the last of the stacking area up, once that is filled we'll have a total of 66.

I would like another 6 face cord of shoulder season wood c/s before any big snows hit.....we'll see if mother nature gives me time.

Bucked up some ironwood from the last trip to the tree service pasture, some miscellaneous small stuff from the neighbor, and a load dropped off by another tree service of mixed - mostly box elder, some pine, some ash and walnut. Mostly monster sized stuff... 18"-3' dia and bigger. Some of what I'm pretty sure is ash had this sickly olive green hue when fresh cut. Now it looks normal. Will be watching it when I split to make sure it is ash... Second photo are them. Looks kind of yellow, but in real life it was olive green.

Guessing 1-1 1/2 cord worth. Maybe half a face of ironwood, at least 2 face maybe a full cord of softwood, and between a face cord and half cord of hardwood. Getting close to being back to 3 years ahead. Not sure what I'm going to do if we sell the house and move to the Northwoods before I get to burn that ironwood here.View attachment 301989
View attachment 301990
Nice work, how are the ticks in your area? They're very active here.

Reactions: boomfire
Nice work, how are the ticks in your area? They're very active here.
Don't have many in SE WI that I've run across. In the Northwoods they are usually pretty crazy from April-July, but now that we aren't stomping around in the brush as much we don't get many. I avoid the woods once the snow is gone up until mid summer when possible. Wife got Lyme's from a deer tick a few years ago, but our doc figured it out right away so no long lasting effects. Mostly we only get wood ticks.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Don't have many in SE WI that I've run across. In the Northwoods they are usually pretty crazy from April-July, but now that we aren't stomping around in the brush as much we don't get many. I avoid the woods once the snow is gone up until mid summer when possible. Wife got Lyme's from a deer tick a few years ago, but our doc figured it out right away so no long lasting effects. Mostly we only get wood ticks.
Last month I got nailed twice by deer ticks, I did get them out quick enough and then went to urgent care. The first time was a double dose of doxy at urgent care but the second time was a seven day script for doxy.

We use lint rollers on our clothing when we come in, the wife did her boots this morning after being out, it picked up a deer tick.

Last month I got nailed twice by deer ticks, I did get them out quick enough and then went to urgent care. The first time was a double dose of doxy at urgent care but the second time was a seven day script for doxy.

We use lint rollers on our clothing when we come in, the wife did her boots this morning after being out, it picked up a deer tick.
Ticks are very bad here this time of year also. Just as bad as spring. I hang my leaf blower off the back of the Ranger and blow the leaves off all my trails. It doesn't take too long and at least we can get out and walk without worrying too much. My trails are free of any vegetation because I pull a box spring behind the Ranger spring and summer. We walk as much as we can and doing these simple things have made a huge difference as long g as we stay on the trail

Took a break from work for a few hours. I brought down one dead tree, proceeded to bring another one down. Things didn't go well, i wanted it to go one way but, it started leaning otherway. Problem was, the otherway is closer to cable and electric lines. The top end of tree could potentially clip those wires and knockout the entire neighborhood. Had to stop. get a winch started pulling the direction i wanted to fell. It worked out well. Took more time than needed. All in all ended up with may be half a cord ready to go.

Done for the day, will start splitting tomorrow after I pick up another half a cord of fresh cut wood that was listed on FB for free.

Work Done in 2022

Work Done in 2022

I moved the ash rounds (three trailer loads, two pictured) over to the splitting area. The area the ash rounds were in will need more cleanup before the splitter gets in that area.

Picture 3354 is the part I cleaned up so I could get the rhino and the trailer in closer to the ash rounds, 3356 is the old maple, I threw everything from the trail cleaning up against the maple tree and the last picture is the splitting area, ash and ironwood.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

I split & stacked the ash, it's stacked with some cherry. We'll go after another two face cord this coming week.

Not pictured is more ironwood rounds I stacked to, I'm thinking with what ironwood we have left, that will finish that face cord.

Dropped 2 big ash trees right next to my buddies house. We did the smaller one with wedges. The bigger one we used my truck and 100ft of rope. Cause it could've made a big boo boo if it fell backwards. I get all the wood and he gets piece of mind that the next wind storm won't fell them on his house

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022

Just loaded the garage back up with the tractor Saturday afternoon, then was called back into work from the high winds we had here. The temps have been pretty nice lately 60's and 70's.