Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This was the Cherry that had a broken branch near the top, it would've started rotting from the top down so I felled and bucked it up today.

View attachment 300905 View attachment 300906 View attachment 300907 View attachment 300908
My cherry was dead and down. Definitely past prime. A bit soft on the outside, but solid on the inside. Better than pine and aspen... Got a burl from one of the cherry's that I'm going to see if it's solid. Want to make myself a berry picking bowl.

My cherry was dead and down. Definitely past prime. A bit soft on the outside, but solid on the inside. Better than pine and aspen... Got a burl from one of the cherry's that I'm going to see if it's solid. Want to make myself a berry picking bowl.
The cherry on our property has a rot that starts on the inside, I did give some burls to a neighbor and the rest goes for firewood.

When I first started cutting firewood, we had three years worth of firewood (based on 12 face cord a year) just from downed cherry from windstorms.

I had a busy week of dropping some dead pines at my place. One of my neighbors pine's fell into one of my dead ash so I dropped both and burned the pines. The temps really dropped here at the beginning of the week. I finally fired up the Sequoia in the basement. Temps should get better by the weekend but winter is not far off.

I had a total of 16 trees dropped this year when we moved in to a new property. A few Maples, mostly red oaks. Anywhere from 18" to 40" diameter at the base. I worked on getting those trees cleaned up from Christmas last year will the end of September this year. Lots of firewood stacked all over now. Kind of wishing I had purchsed a chain saw mill to get some planks out of the big oaks...Would have made nice flooring! But, will warm our home (and some friends' homes as well).

Today I split and stacked some ash (came from some tops) and the cherry I felled the other day. The heavier rains stayed north of us, that made for a good day to work outside.

104_3298.JPG 104_3300.JPG 104_3301.JPG 104_3303.JPG 104_3304.JPG 104_3305.JPG 104_3306.JPG

I had a total of 16 trees dropped this year when we moved in to a new property. A few Maples, mostly red oaks. Anywhere from 18" to 40" diameter at the base. I worked on getting those trees cleaned up from Christmas last year will the end of September this year. Lots of firewood stacked all over now. Kind of wishing I had purchsed a chain saw mill to get some planks out of the big oaks...Would have made nice flooring! But, will warm our home (and some friends' homes as well).
That'll be a lot of nice heat in a couple of years...
Today I split and stacked some ash (came from some tops) and the cherry I felled the other day. The heavier rains stayed north of us, that made for a good day to work outside.

View attachment 301002 View attachment 301003 View attachment 301004 View attachment 301005 View attachment 301006 View attachment 301007 View attachment 301008
I love splitting cherry. Spend as much time sniffing as splitting...

That'll be a lot of nice heat in a couple of years...

I love splitting cherry. Spend as much time sniffing as splitting...
Usually I can smell it but not today, I'm not sure if it was because of the wind or being stuffed up.

It looks like some warmer weather will be moving in and looking at the long range forecast, we'll be burning shoulder season wood for another two or three weeks.

It would be nice if I could get another six face cord of hardwood up and the same amount of shoulder season wood up before any serious snow comes in this fall/winter.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Today I had plans of felling some ash but didn't do it because of the winds. I did find one topped off ironwood and one poor looking beech that had lost its top, both the ironwood and beech turned out to be solid wood.

104_3307.JPG 104_3308.JPG 104_3309.JPG 104_3310.JPG 104_3311.JPG 104_3312.JPG

I had planned on getting a downed beech today but changed that plan early, I brought the splitter down to the neighbor's house and made some huge splits smaller.

I brought in everything I split and more, they had brought a bunch of wood inside but not enough for the winter. They're having some health issues and wood is there only source of heat, I'll finish putting in enough wood for the winter tomorrow.

I had planned on getting a downed beech today but changed that plan early, I brought the splitter down to the neighbor's house and made some huge splits smaller.

I brought in everything I split and more, they had brought a bunch of wood inside but not enough for the winter. They're having some health issues and wood is there only source of heat, I'll finish putting in enough wood for the winter tomorrow.
Good karma. I believe very strongly in helping when able.

Did a little bit of cutting, 4 tanks of fuel and 2 chain sharpenings with the dremal. I think this will measure out a full cord and a quarter once split and stacked, it’s mainly ash with a cherry & locust length mixed in

433E4785-61B7-4473-98D3-E8966C2F8B36.jpeg

Today I had plans of felling some ash but didn't do it because of the winds. I did find one topped off ironwood and one poor looking beech that had lost its top, both the ironwood and beech turned out to be solid wood.

View attachment 301069 View attachment 301070 View attachment 301071 View attachment 301072 View attachment 301073 View attachment 301074
What your referring to as iron wood with all the little warts on it is called hackberry here. Iron wood here is hop Hornbeam or musclewood trees. Funny how different regions have different names for same trees. As a side note. The litte berries on those hackberry trees are quite delicious

Reactions: thewoodlands
What your referring to as iron wood with all the little warts on it is called hackberry here. Iron wood here is hop Hornbeam or musclewood trees. Funny how different regions have different names for same trees. As a side note. The litte berries on those hackberry trees are quite delicious
This is the tree we call ironwood or hardhack.

Our musclewood American Hornbeam never gets real big before it gets damage done to it and then starts rotting.

We'll that doesn't look anything like what I was told is ironwood by the older fellow I get some of my wood from! SE WI, mostly small (up to about 10" dia or so), very straight, hard and heavy with a fine, almost hairy looking bark. Kinda sorta looks like elm or ash bark. I'll have to post a pic of the logs when I get home again to get opinions... Maybe it doesn't get that "muscular" look until it gets bigger?

Nevermind, just googled it and those photos of "ironwood/American hophornbeam" look exactly like what I have...

This is the tree we call ironwood or hardhack.

Our musclewood American Hornbeam never gets real big before it gets damage done to it and then starts rotting.
Sorry woodlands my bad on first look that pic looked like hackberry from around here but when I zoomed on on it it doesn't apologies

Sorry woodlands my bad on first look that pic looked like hackberry from around here but when I zoomed on on it it doesn't apologies
Not a problem, I never knew what some of these trees were called before I joined Hearth.

I removed another deer tick this morning (not engorged) it was the first time I used the Tick Key, nothing was left inside the bite.

The doctor likes the Tick Tornado better.
1666722557532.png

Built a new chainsaw case the other day. Going to put wheels on it because it's too heavy. Long enough to put one end on the tailgate, then lift the other end up to slide it on. I'll have one of the boys do it for me when they are around.
IMG_20221026_153943.jpg

Today I cut down a dead branch off a cherry tree to add to the cherry pile. Then I cut down 3 birch tree's by the water, bucked then up and hauled them up. First photo is just one laying bucked up. Had to yank it with the ATV because it got hung up. Second photo is the second load going up the boardwalk.
IMG_20221026_152142.jpg
IMG_20221026_153647.jpg

I've decided to sell some firewood, about 20 cords or so. I put an ad on Craigslist, $265 a cord + $10 fuel charge for dry wood cut in the 16-18" range. The wood is actually dry. The first day or two, I received about 6 or 7 calls for firewood. I wasn't expecting so many calls so I stopped the ad. I'm trying to pace myself.

In the last couple of days, I've loaded up my truck bed and trailer with 2 cords three times. I might be a bit overloaded because things get a little squirrely when I get up to 55 mph. Naturally, I'm getting most of my calls from people 40 miles away. I think I'll take the backroads from now on. So far I've sold, 2.5 cords of white pine (not sure exactly what kind), 1 cord mixed (Siberian Elm, Ash, Russian Olive, Ponderosa Pine, & Honey Locust), and 2.5 cords of Lodgepole Pine.

I have 1 cord going to someone 40 miles away. I asked him what kind of stove he has? He said he is in a school bus with a small stove. I asked if he wanted smaller pieces? I told him I would give him a discount for many of those unstackable short hardwood pieces that I have too many of - he agreed. Lucky me.
I dont typically buy firewood but that price sounds low, and especially if your getting alot calls. Maybe you should consider charging more or aleast more fora 40 mile delivery.

Good karma. I believe very strongly in helping when able.
I gave them a face cord of ironwood for the coldest days, even though I stacked it at their place in an area under the roof, he started taking some inside for the winter. Most of the ironwood is in rounds so he was wondering how he would stack the ends without worrying about it falling.

They had given me a bunch of 2 x 4's, I made them a 4 x 4 rack to stack in, if they like it I'll make them another one which should get all the ironwood inside before winter hits.

We have 4 face cord of seasoned ash (3.5 years) left from an area we were taking wood from last winter. I don't think they have enough firewood for this heating season so I'll save 2 face cord of ash if they end up needing any.