Work Done in 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Started building my outdoor stack. Indoor storage full. Cleaned stove and swept chimney

Work Done in 2022

We could get close to 2.5 inches of rain starting tomorrow so today we put in two loads of pine and then I put some hardwood in the back of the RTV, usually with the covers we use and the hard rains we'll get, some wood will get wet so we'll have enough dry wood.

I did cover another two face cord of shoulder season wood, we'll continue burning shoulder season wood (pine) once it gets colder we'll start the day with pine and the go with a load of half pine & hardwood.

The old pellet stove worked well so that was nice, we've burned half a bag so far this year. Last year we burned 63 bags and the year before 50. Once it really gets cold, we use it at night for the overnight burn.

We got all of our split wood covered, and most of it is stacked. Fixed a tie rod on the lawn tractor. They wanted $50 for a new rod, so I fired up the welder and fixed it.

Still trying to make room for snow, and hoping to have that done tomorrow.
Got the big shed door fixed too.

Put a new heater on the pig water cup and made a shield for it.

Hoping to bring home another 4+ cord of wood this weekend if the rest of the tree is down.

We got all of our split wood covered, and most of it is stacked. Fixed a tie rod on the lawn tractor. They wanted $50 for a new rod, so I fired up the welder and fixed it.

Still trying to make room for snow, and hoping to have that done tomorrow.
Got the big shed door fixed too.

Put a new heater on the pig water cup and made a shield for it.

Hoping to bring home another 4+ cord of wood this weekend if the rest of the tree is down.
My kind of guy welding that up! If it can be fixed, I fix it (within reason...).

It's not much but I took advantage of being off today with my kids. Got all my short, long, and uglies off the ground on pallets after I've been talking about it for 5 months. My 2 and 4 year old did all the small pieces while I did the big stuff. They love it. Cleaned out the entire shed too.
Work Done in 2022

Work Done in 2022

It's not much but I took advantage of being off today with my kids. Got all my short, long, and uglies off the ground on pallets after I've been talking about it for 5 months. My 2 and 4 year old did all the small pieces while I did the big stuff. They love it. Cleaned out the entire shed too.
View attachment 302540
View attachment 302541
Good to get it off the ground. I usually try to stack rounds on pallets even if I know I won't get right to them for splitting...

View attachment 302540
View attachment 302541
If those are uglies, I want to see a picture of your firewood stacks. We stack everything except the worst offenders, they go on the top row.

Well, the 4+ cord seems to be out of the picture now. The guy said his wife's friend wants to buy it. He said if they leave any or don't show up, I have have it.

On a better note, I visited a guy who has 5 acres of mostly oak and it is dying. He just wants it gone and said I can have anything that needs to come down or is down already. He even said he would help load! It's not too far away either, maybe a 15 minute drive. I need more wood storage.

Got more laid in for end of 23/24 season. Trying a new to me technique. When done this should be a 12ft by 12ft square Hopefully can get it at least 4ft high. Stacking it log cabin style. Hoping to hold between 4 or 5 cords in this stack

View attachment 302571
Not going to season well... I had 3 rows of 12" lengths stacked on pallets and the center row didn't season as well as the outer rows.

Not going to season well... I had 3 rows of 12" lengths stacked on pallets and the center row didn't season as well as the outer rows.
Luckily this whole stack should be from 2 dead ash trees I took down last weekend. The pieces I tested were less than 20%. Except for the bottom 8 ft of trunk the we're around 28%. But guess I'll have to stack different when I take down live trees

I was able to cut about half of one of my locust log piles on Thursday. I ended up working till dark so only a couple pics. I'm hoping to finish cutting it and stacking it this weekend. It rained all day yesterday so no wood processing. Temps are going to drop into the 20's and 30's at night so both stoves should be up and running. It looks like many on here have been doing the same getting ready for the coming winter and getting ahead for the coming years. The locust I was cutting has been sitting up on blocks in log lengths for almost 2 years and I noticed the bigger logs were very hard to cut. I was not using my 660, I was using the 310 and it worked on the bigger logs. But regardless a great afternoon to be in the woods.

After all the rain overnight and this morning, I decided it was time some junky pine get flamed up in the outside fireplace.

It's time I started clearing just off the trails in preparation for winter, I hate to hit anything with the plow.

We started bringing home the rest of the big maple in town. The wood is mixed with brush in a giant pile around the tree. The homeowner has been removing brush so we can get to the wood. He helped load two trailers today and even filled his own (new)truck and delivered it, AND helped stack it next to the splitter! He is an awesome guy and we are planning to go fishing together. I am going back for more tomorrow, and will continue to bring loads home all week until we get it all. I am estimating a total of 4-6 cord in the tree. A full cord just in the stump. We have about 2.5 cord home already, so there may be more than 6 cord there, but I am being conservative in my estimate so I don't "come up short" on myself. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow. Lots of big pieces, 2-3 ft in diameter. I'm excited to see just how much we bring home.

I was kind of bummed that I didn't get more wood home this year, but this week is making up for it. It's a good thing I also scrounge pallets! 🤣

With snow in the forecast, I cleaned up a bunch of wood just off the trails and took the weed eater to some long stuff growing in an area I store snow. There was some branches down in that area that could've caused some damage to the tractor if you drove over them so that's taken care of.

I did finish stacking the two face cord of pine and popple today and covered another two face cord of wood, ironwood and beech.

We hauled 4 trailer loads (5x8 trailer) home yesterday and 4 more today. The pieces are getting bigger, so it takes longer to break them down for loading. I split some with a maul, and then noodled the bigger ones. I measure a good 3 cord of rounds/chunks stacked, and another cord+ that I already split and stacked, and there is probably another 3+ cord to bring home. I'm glad I can break them down at his place, because there is a huge pile of chips and noodles in his yard that he is more than willing to take care of. I might bring some home for the compost pile though.

Here are a couple pictures of what we have hauled home so far. This pile measures 3 cord. There is another cord+ split and stacked off to the side.

Work Done in 2022 Work Done in 2022