Would you do this to save just over $400.00?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$145 a cord!!! almost 1/2 that price here. I wouldn't burn wood if it cost me that much.
Same up here but hardwood is abundant and loggers sell it on the side. White Ash rounds green go for $80 a cord. You can scrounge the wood if you want to work a little harder. Wood is the biggest crop here and saw and paper mills are the biggest employers. Louisiana Pacific, Weyerhaueser, Domtar, Kimberly Clark, Georgia Pacific, Wausau, James River, potlatch and others operate mills here. Scrounging is easy.

Reactions: Christopix
That little 4 ton split almost everything I put on it. I mean I had 3' rounds of pine on that little thing and it split like a trooper.
There was only a couple times it would not split, and that was really super gnarly maple. Matter of fact, even my hydro didn't split it.
I am very pleased with the Ryobi, and it did much more than I thought it could.
I suggest a 12 gauge extension cord at minimal. That is what I used.
On larger, tough rounds, just chip away from the outside in and you will do fine. Unless your splitting a straight grained, easier splitting wood, like red oak, ash, cherry, even maple etc., on the larger rounds (24"+)you may have a tough time trying to split down the center in, just work your way from outside inward.

Thank you! I'm seriously going to look into this as an alternative to periodically renting a hydro splitter. If so I'll get the cord you recommended. I appreciate the help.

It's $90-110 to rent a splitter around here, I called a few places before I bought mine.
It's about $65 per day where I live. $30 is a steal.

I've contemplated buying one of those $300 electric splitters. People have been saying good things about them here.

My last wood delivery I split all by hand, using a Fiskars, an 8 pound maul and a wedge. The maul and wedge is fantastic for getting large rounds into more manageable pieces that the Fiskars can take care of.

You know, I hadn't even thought of renting a trailer from Uhaul. You pulled a cord of wood with your honda accord? Your car must have been cussing at you something fierce!

It is a V6 Accord, so it wasn't so bad. Getting started from a dead stop was definitely slow. I didn't dare to go full speed, as I knew my stopping distance was dramatically increased. I rented the 5' x 8' covered trailer from Uhaul and it was packed full both loads. They offer a 5' x 10', but I wasn't sure my car could handle pulling that much wood, so I opted for the medium trailer. They also have uncovered trailers, which are easier to load/unload, but then you probably need to secure your load with a tarp and straps.

Here's a splitter I'd like to see but no picture.

Log Splitter - $750 (Rock Creek)

5844.png
5844.png
5845.png
5845.png

marker-shadow.png

marker-icon-2x.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Log Splitter with Ford Pinto motor. Nothing I haven't been able to split with it ever. Approx. 60 horse. Runs GREAT!! Call Curt 651-295-0640
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4266907879

posted: a month ago

updated: 13 days ago

email to friend

♥ best of

Advantage to me, I save a lot of money and I avoid bucking (I really don't enjoy that at all) and I get to split the wood (which I absolutely love to do).

Ditto that. This thread is very timely - have been wondering about buying rounds for the stove I hope to soon install. Sounds like I can have my fun (splitting) and save a few bucks too.

Reactions: BillLion
Absolutely not

That's $145 a cord for wood that you still have to do almost ALL the work on. Around here split &deliverd will run you $150, maybe a little more. If you're gonna buy wood in round form it should be at a considerable discount, like closer to 100/cord and under. Just my opinion

Absolutely not

That's $145 a cord for wood that you still have to do almost ALL the work on. Around here split &deliverd will run you $150, maybe a little more. If you're gonna buy wood in round form it should be at a considerable discount, like closer to 100/cord and under. Just my opinion

I think prices for split cords varies dramatically by region. Around Seattle, $150 for a cord of split wood delivered is nearly unheard of. It's often more like $180-300. Often the lower priced sellers will short you on the wood, misrepresent the type of wood, tell you it's seasoned when it's not, etc.

That little 4 ton split almost everything I put on it. I mean I had 3' rounds of pine on that little thing and it split like a trooper.
There was only a couple times it would not split, and that was really super gnarly maple. Matter of fact, even my hydro didn't split it.
I am very pleased with the Ryobi, and it did much more than I thought it could.
I suggest a 12 gauge extension cord at minimal. That is what I used.
On larger, tough rounds, just chip away from the outside in and you will do fine. Unless your splitting a straight grained, easier splitting wood, like red oak, ash, cherry, even maple etc., on the larger rounds (24"+)you may have a tough time trying to split down the center in, just work your way from outside inward.

So it looks like Ryobi discontinued their log electric log splitter as far as I can tell. Any other brands you might recommend? Thanks. And sorry all for the topic detour.

I enjoy splitting by hand. Until I got my X27 a few months ago, I split it all with an 8# maul and wedges. The X27 is great for easy splits, but I use the maul on rounds the X27 can't handle.

Processing wood is both therapy and exercise. It's a full-body, functional exercise with elements of interval training (short sprints of heavy work followed by a slightly longer period of lighter work). When I have rounds to split, I split in the morning before work for about 30 minutes. It is much better than going to a gym. Seeing the racks fill with wood is very satisfying.

There are many small electric log splitters. Ask in the Gear Room, and I am sure others will chime in on other dependable brands.
I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Absolutely not

Maybe in pole length, but no cut rounds. Not around here anyways.

nrford said:
$145 a cord!!! almost 1/2 that price here. I wouldn't burn wood if it cost me that much.

If I had a choice of paying $145 a cord or almost $4 gallon for oil I'd get the wood, I'd get the wood even if it was $300 cord and come out way ahead.

Around here Western WI. wholesale price of hardwood is $90-110/cord in log form. So anybody selling split full cords in the $150 range isn't making a whole lot of money for their time.

Reactions: WiscWoody
really.....just wondering, what would you heat the house with or would you just put on another jacket...or go out and sit in your car and turn on the heater.
half the price is @ $80.00 hard to believe you are getting 128 cubic ft for eighty bucks....a face cord maybe. just saying.

I would go for the savings also. You could work on it at your leisure.
What's with the debarked wood. Do you know what kind it is?

Around here Western WI. wholesale price of hardwood is $90-110/cord in log form. So anybody selling split full cords in the $150 range isn't making a whole lot of money for their time.
Agreed and I've thought an selling come of my wood but it doesn't seem worth it to me. The bigger sellers that have processors and buy the logs in bulk can make it work though. But I know of some wood sellers around Park Falls that cut the trees and hand split all of their Maple. They only get $45 a face cord C/S/S you haul.

I would buy the rounds and save the money. I like to split, so I would prefer the rounds. Split a few a day and it is a nice stress reliever. Try to split four cords in a weekend and it is a chore.

Most guys selling firewood do so either because they have woods, or run a tree business. I imagine most guys aren't buying log loads to split and sell. It's really only worth it to sell wood if your input is free

Most guys selling firewood do so either because they have woods, or run a tree business. I imagine most guys aren't buying log loads to split and sell. It's really only worth it to sell wood if your input is free

Well yes and no.

The real big firewood sellers are buying their logs as it is the only feasible way to put up 100's of cords. Scrounging around just wouldn't cut it. They generally are getting in the $225-250 range a cord, are kiln drying and can get around quarantine zones due to being certified sellers. Gettng wood from tree services will yield a lot of wood, but will limit the amount of choice hardwoods. For campfire wood it would be OK.

My point is that wholesale price of hardwood is pushing $100/cord if you have to buy it.

Well, here is the update: the guy offering that deal that initiated this thread changed his tune and decided that a more fair price for bucked rounds was in the neiborhood of $175.00. I still can't make sense of his rational - even when I pointed out to him that his regular price for split cordwood was $185.00. Just did't get a good impression of him when I visited his yard this time around. I kinda had the sense that he was shady enough that if I dropped my phone out of my pocket in his yard he would pocket it and/or insist it was his. Icing on the cake was his insulation that I should be able to afford it because he knows that I photograph higher end weddings around here and elsewhere. Needless to say, I smiled and wished him a good day.

Turns out that one of my wedding clients' father, an old burner here in town and a respected businessman, referred me to a guy one town over from me that he has been using for the last 15 years. He called him up for me right there and arranged for me to meet up with him this evening. Super cool guy and while he doesn't sell firewood in the round, at $195.00 a cord, he is $250.00 cheaper than what I paid this years load. I'll be receiving 4 cord next Friday afternoon.

So it is clear to me if I wish to get inexpensive firewood around here, I will have to being playing the game of scrounging.

Interesting day...

Try contacting local tree guys or excavators. They usually have a good price.

So it looks like Ryobi discontinued their log electric log splitter as far as I can tell. Any other brands you might recommend? Thanks. And sorry all for the topic detour.

I broke down and bought a homelite . Got mine for $230ish after sale and vet discount. Have been very surprised at what it could split .

Here is one of the rounds from a rock maple I took down . Over 3 cord from that tree so far.

And the stump from the tree

And the some of what I split with the little electric

Have been pretty surprised by what the splitter can do . Has saved me a lot of pain after having a shoulder injury that prevented me from using my Fiskars .

Status
Not open for further replies.