Would you drive 30 mins for this free wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take it, but I don't think you have more than a cord there....abour 3/4's is my guess.

I'd be on that like stink on sh!t!!

Battenkiller said:
Guess I'm the only one, but that doesn't look like a very big tree at all. The shed way in the background gives a deceiving sense of scale to the tree. Judging by the tracks around the trunk and the amount of snow of top of it (check out how little snow there is on the shed roof), I'd say it's less than 24" at the base, maybe 16' to the first limb. The crown doesn't appear to be very substantial, either. Less than 1 cord it seems to me.

that is what i was thinking. I was figuring on getting it all on a pickup but i would just bring the trailer just in case.

It's free and only 1/2 hour away.... Get it !!

I drive 30 min. to work each day, and I'm basically 20 minutes away from anything else, so I'd do it without hesitation!

It's hardwood . . . it's free . . . and it's an easy cut, load and go . . . I would do it.

However, I think it's less than a cord of wood in that tree . . . but kind of hard to judge based solely on a 2D photo.

firefighterjake said:
It's hardwood . . . it's free . . . and it's an easy cut, load and go . . . I would do it.

However, I think it's less than a cord of wood in that tree . . . but kind of hard to judge based solely on a 2D photo.

+1 On both

ohio woodburner said:
Bubbavh said:
Looks like Ash or a big Sass... either way nope... too far for me!

If that's ash i'd drive an hour for it.
aaaaaa
I'm just saying in my area wood is very plentyful and their is really no need to drive so far for it. Also your wood hauler would would need to be pretty big to make the trips worth while at an hour round trip I wouldn't want to make 5+ trips

Warm up the truck, and saw... and GO GET IT!

I have driven more than that for less.

Archer39 said:
Anyone have an idea of what type of tree it is? I can't really tell from the picture. The person says i can drive right up to it if i plow a path into the yard (i have a plow). we have about 16-20 inches of snow on the ground. he says he will deal with cleaning up the branches if i put them in a pile. Would you drive 30 mins for this? or am i crazy.

TREE24INCHDIAMETER.gif
I'd drive that far, but I don't know about all that plowing once you get there. :roll:

I say leave the plow home and drive in the snow.

oh yeah, for sure.

30 minutes is nothing. get that tree.

and I'm with the later crowd - that tree isn't that huge. There is no way there is over a cord in that tree. I'd say 2-3 pickup loads, so yeah, maybe a cord, but no more.

I'm also with wood duck - from the pic, it does look like Walnut. but who knows could be ash or poplar or cottonwood, or who knows what. but I'd drive a half hour for any down tree.

Archer39 said:
Anyone have an idea of what type of tree it is? I can't really tell from the picture. The person says i can drive right up to it if i plow a path into the yard (i have a plow). we have about 16-20 inches of snow on the ground. he says he will deal with cleaning up the branches if i put them in a pile. Would you drive 30 mins for this? or am i crazy.

TREE24INCHDIAMETER.gif

I'll guess that tree from 36-42 in. at the base and thats enough to keep the rookies at home.

Make sure the guy knows you're going to probably scalp the hell out of whatever lawn is under that snow. No matter how you do it, you're either going to scalp the grass off or if you try to ride the plow up a few inches you'll probably dig your wheels into the ground a bit. If you have a snowblower, strap it into the truck and take your trailer...blow your way out to the tree, back the trailer in and cut the thing where it sits.

Looks like good wood, 30 minutes is a short distance.

I've gone more then 30 minutes for free wood but it was already bucked. If I had the time I would make the trip, but I don't believe that trunk is anywhere near 36". My guess would be 20-22" tops, if that. Not quite a cord there. Also did anyone guess black walnut?

Still a nice score. Good luck!

JoeyD said:
I've gone more then 30 minutes for free wood but it was already bucked. If I had the time I would make the trip, but I don't believe that trunk is anywhere near 36". My guess would be 20-22" tops, if that. Not quite a cord there. Also did anyone guess black walnut?

the door opening to the shed has to be 32-36 in. door.

Can't ID from the pic, though from what few walnuts I've seen, the shape seems consistent. Looks to be maybe 24" DBH. WAG is that there's .75 of a cord - +/- depending on what there is for limbs off camera.

A few things to consider:

1) as noted earlier, be wary of ripping up the lawn. Might get a cranky call come mud season.

2) be very careful in selecting your cuts. Weight and stress might be on a few limbs touching the ground. Blowdowns can react in very unpredictable ways if you don't "think the tree through" right.

3) Be mindful that once the weight of the crown and the upper trunk is removed, there's the possibility that the lower trunk might rise up on you and the rootball could settle back into the ground.

Take care and stay safe!

smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:

I mostly was going by the size of the foot prints on the ground near the tree. Its hard to tell how far back the shed is.

Lets start a pool. :coolsmile:

JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:

I mostly was going by the size of the foot prints on the ground near the tree. Its hard to tell how far back the shed is.

lets do I'll go 5 bucks on that

If your looking at a cord, you are basically asking yourself if it's worth driving 30 minutes for 100-150 bucks worth fo wood. Hell, I will drive 30 minutes just to get to cut the stuff up. I like cutting! My chainsaw gets hungry and the snacks around here are not enough for it. You owe it to your chain saw, your wood stove, and McDonalds, to drive 30 minutes for that.

smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:

I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll start a new one when I win to let you know when I'll be in Indiana to collect my winnings :p

JoeyD said:

Fair enough. I do think that the snow has a 'fluffing' effect on the trunk size - a kinda optickal illusion. Check out the section close to the rootball where there's a section of snow missing.

CrawfordCentury said:
Can't ID from the pic, though from what few walnuts I've seen, the shape seems consistent. Looks to be maybe 24" DBH. WAG is that there's .75 of a cord - +/- depending on what there is for limbs off camera.

A few things to consider:

1) as noted earlier, be wary of ripping up the lawn. Might get a cranky call come mud season.

2) be very careful in selecting your cuts. Weight and stress might be on a few limbs touching the ground. Blowdowns can react in very unpredictable ways if you don't "think the tree through" right.

3) Be mindful that once the weight of the crown and the upper trunk is removed, there's the possibility that the lower trunk might rise up on you and the rootball could settle back into the ground.

Take care and stay safe!

i have cut a few fall downs before and understand how dangerous they are but thanks for the heads up.

I am still not sure if i want to drive in the yard or not. I am going to bring the wheelbarrow just in case. I am going to decide after i get a feel for the guy. According to the owner it is 24" in diameter so we will see. I am going tomorrow morning and will post pictures when i get home.

JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:

I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll start a new one when I win to let you know when I'll be in Indiana to collect my winnings :p

no need to worry about hijacking the thread i certainly don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.