WOW, from 70 at night to 45 degrees at night in a week!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
Suddenly I am thinking of moving the wood pile near the house! What a difference in a short period of time! Yep, gonna check the moisture content today...

And have you noticed also how far south that sun has moved? Look about an hour towards sunset. It always amazes me how far north to south the movement is from summer to winter. Also, the days have shortened a lot.

Yep. The air conditioner was on in the bedroom one night and the comforter was out the next night.

Cool overnights help to dry the air and dry air helps to dry the wood. I see it as a win-win. Quit complaining.

LLigetfa said:
Cool overnights help to dry the air and dry air helps to dry the wood. I see it as a win-win. Quit complaining.

I measured the moisture of a white oak and a red oak re-split this morning and got a 14 percent reading. If this stuff gets any drier I will be afraid to smoke near the wood stacks. In fact if it gets an drier I am going to have to mist it with water the day before I put it in the stoves.

Got down to the high 70s(F) here last night. And back up the miserable 100 deg. range in the afternoon.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Backwoods Savage said:
And have you noticed also how far south that sun has moved? Look about an hour towards sunset. It always amazes me how far north to south the movement is from summer to winter. Also, the days have shortened a lot.

We've just started the 6-8 week period where we lose daylight as fast as any time of year. The Earth pendelum effect. Sorry, bit of an earth science / weather geek here.

It got down to the 40's for a couple of nights and my girl had me light a small fire in the insert.. The summer is way too short!!

Yup, cold nights here too. Anywhere from 40 and up last 2 weeks. Only 50 this mornind when I looked at 8 am. So much for thatglobal warming. We have one of the coolest summer this year. Only had 2 weeks that actually felt like summer, and they were just a few weeks ago.
I'm hoping for a 2 month Indian Summer!!

We had some scattered frost warnings up by us the other week. My FIL thinks I have two years of wood done, but I think I'll be burning earlier than last year.

Archie said:
Backwoods Savage said:

We've just started the 6-8 week period where we lose daylight as fast as any time of year. The Earth pendelum effect. Sorry, bit of an earth science / weather geek here.

And at the end of this 6-8 week thing we'll also be rid of all the danged flying insects! Hooray!

Backwoods Savage said:
Archie said:
Backwoods Savage said:

And at the end of this 6-8 week thing we'll also be rid of all the danged flying insects! Hooray!

Wait till the first week of December and the sunset will be like 4:15pm....Blah!

WoodButcher

I've always wanted to spend a winter in Alaska just to see what it would be like with all those hours w/o sunshine. But, of course, the best part would be to view the northern lights from that far north.

btw, one of the best places for seeing the northern lights here in the lower 48 is in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Methinks it is from some of the effect of Lake Superior but not sure. When we lived there we were constantly amazed at the beauty. Early March was always one of the best times for viewing.

It's been a beautiful week here in Northern Lower Michigan. Mid 70 during the day low 50'- high 40's at night. We did have a few white roofs and some patchy frost the last day of August and Sept 1 Winter's coming soon after a very cool summer. I hope the weather we have right now lasts for another 6 weeks at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.