X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If it works for you great!!! I feel like I just added one to my aresenal. My guess is that I will find a use for the sledge wedges and maul as well. As we all know each tree and /or species can present a challenge all on its own.

Love my X27. It made splitting fun again. Eventually, however, I found some large and/or knotty rounds that it didn't work well on, so I picked up an isocore maul for the really tough stuff.

Reactions: JSeery
I use the X25. I believe it was the original version. There's a lot of debate about it and it comes down to personal preference so no definitive answer is possible. I will say this, when I was playing golf I knew a lot of guys that hit their 3 wd farther than their driver. Never stopped them from pulling the driver out.

I also have the older version of the 25 (it has a different axe head to new one), so I'm wondering if I would see any benefits to using the newer X25 or even the X27. I'm 5'10", so am worried the X27 might be too long for me. It would be nice to be able to try a X27 before shelling out the money. Would hate to buy one and then find it's too long for my swing.

I also have the older version of the 25 (it has a different axe head to new one), so I'm wondering if I would see any benefits to using the newer X25 or even the X27. I'm 5'10", so am worried the X27 might be too long for me. It would be nice to be able to try a X27 before shelling out the money. Would hate to buy one and then find it's too long for my swing.
i'm 5'10" and i think the x27 is the perfect length.

Reactions: Bushfire

I used a friends X27 briefly. I may just be used to the X25 but I didn't feel like I was getting any advantage with it. All personal preference, so hard to say what you might like.

Reactions: baseroom
X27 is good, but I still have the 8lb for tough stuff.

Some of the relating sports cars to dump trucks or golf clubs to baseball bats is humorus. I won't be hauling gravel in a sports car or playing baseball with a golf club.

It is a lighter striking tool that works great in straight grain woods. I would relate it to an auto tranny on a dump truck vs. manual or aluminum bat vs. wood.

Only problem is I have had to sharpen mine a few times beating on it with bur oak and elm (not hitting the ground). Won't hold that sharp edge for long.

It is a lighter striking tool that works great in straight grain woods...

I frequently split right through knots with mine. I will try to remember to take some pics next time I do.

Exactly, take advantage of the sharp edge. And head speed is more important than mass when delivering force.

My Christmas present finally came in the correct size over the weekend.

I think we must each have different swings, because I'm 5' 11" and couldn't imagine using a much shorter axe like the X25 for anything but small diameter logs.

I only had about two days worth of wood unsplit to test it on, so I only got to do 5-10 minutes of testing, and now there's nothing left for it to do until I scrounge up something new.

My second swing caused some damage - it cleaved right through an 8", slightly knotty round so easily I wasn't prepared to control the follow through. As a result, it missed my splitting block and hit the gravel below, hard. That put a definite nick in the upper edge, but since it's the lower edge that first makes contact with the log, performance seemed unaffected. I'm definitely chagrined to scar a brand new tool like that.

It sure did blow through this spruce a lot more easily than my maul did, but since the wood was frozen solid and brittle, I'm not sure it was a useful comparison. Regardless, happy so far, pending more testing in the spring.

Love my x27. 5'7" here, would not want the x25. Chocked up to split a smaller piece of wood, went right into my ankle. Got 3 stitches. I hand split all but the worst peices

There's a rule with swinging an ax/maul that your hands always have to be level or below the ax head. If you do that you cannot hit your feet etc. Takes some discipline as you tire to not get lazy and continue to bend your knees.

Love my x27. 5'7" here, would not want the x25. Chocked up to split a smaller piece of wood, went right into my ankle. Got 3 stitches. I hand split all but the worst peices
Don't feel bad--I was splitting some crotches with an X15 (1-handed) and it ricocheted into my shin. I think I got 6 stitches. After that I stuck to longer handles to increase my standoff distance, and I try to keep the round I'm splitting as low as possible. No more tall chopping blocks! When switching between the Fiskars maul and X27 (which is a couple inches longer) I sometimes overshoot. My bones pick up a lot of the shock but the fiberglass handle has held up fine so far.

Reactions: Espartaco
I frequently split right through knots with mine. I will try to remember to take some pics next time I do.
Here ya go...

Attachments

• IMG_2694.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 179
I don't have much to add. I've gone through about 50 cords with my x27 (had it for 10 yrs). I make sure it has a good edge, and I couldn't be happier. I've taught my wife and cousin how to split wood with it (something I wouldn't have done if I would have had to replace the handle if they missed). Great tool for sure--game changer: My maul, wedges, and sledge have been uncharacteristically dormant for the last decade. It doesn't go through everything, but at the point where it can't split, the round goes into the fire pit pile or is left for the forest fungus.

I don't have much to add. I've gone through about 50 cords with my x27 (had it for 10 yrs). I make sure it has a good edge, and I couldn't be happier. I've taught my wife and cousin how to split wood with it (something I wouldn't have done if I would have had to replace the handle if they missed). Great tool for sure--game changer: My maul, wedges, and sledge have been uncharacteristically dormant for the last decade. It doesn't go through everything, but at the point where it can't split, the round goes into the fire pit pile or is left for the forest fungus.
If it still won't split try letting it sit in the sun for a year and then make one more go at it and it will probably give way then...,

It doesn't go through everything, but at the point where it can't split, the round goes into the fire pit pile or is left for the forest fungus.

Once a gnarly piece of wood has challenged me, I'm not giving up until it's split into stove sized pieces. I can't help it, that's just the way I roll.

If it still won't split try letting it sit in the sun for a year and then make one more go at it and it will probably give way then...,

I've never met a piece of wood that couldn't be tamed by a sledgehammer and three to four steel wedges. ::-)

I was at my friends house yesterday using my splitter and x27, I did 5 rounds in 1 min with the x27, my friend says " I guess you found your weapon when the zombie apocalypse happens"

I was at my friends house yesterday using my splitter and x27, I did 5 rounds in 1 min with the x27, my friend says " I guess you found your weapon when the zombie apocalypse happens"
I may be set then...I also have the X15, and the X7 hatchet... ;) :) ;) :)

Long term update is very positive. Did up 5-6 C now with the thing.

The thing works great on my clean rounds, and everything
else goes to the splitter to prevent overstressing upper body parts.

Still, I love splitting as it's just cool being outdoors, exercising, bustin' up rounds
in just a few whacks, can hear the radio with the splitter off, etc, etc......
The fiskie just makes it that much more effective usage of energy.
Very few, if any overswings now as the other two axes are retired. I'm very used to,
and take advantage of the lengthy handle(Alec Guinness voice: "Luke, focus your energy
3 inches below the top, exhale, let the force drive it apart, blah, blah, blah) LOL

It's good to be back in the wood prep routine and participating on Hearth more often, btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAardvark
I thought about getting mine out the other day, since the elm I was splitting seemed pretty dry and split pretty easily. Then I realized it was all sitting right next to the splitter, and there was gas in the engine, and the X27 was up the hill in the shed....

I guess she'll sit with her other friends for another day.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd